Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Motorcycle most like a real 80's UJM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Motorcycle most like a real 80's UJM ?

Among the population that frequent this message board I would guess that most will agree the
    mid-80's UJM (GS Series style) bikes have a certain ..cachet ?A definitive look, style and riding position that we seem to find appealing or else why would we work so hard to keep these old beauties on the road -

IF you were able to pick ONE bike from the past few years (2010 and up) to buy today NEW --

Which would you pick that most closely resembles the UJM of our collective admiring ?

Why ?

Please discuss -
    Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
    Among the population that frequent this message board I would guess that most will agree the
    mid-80's UJM (GS Series style) bikes have a certain ..cachet ?A definitive look, style and riding position that we seem to find appealing or else why would we work so hard to keep these old beauties on the road -

IF you were able to pick ONE bike from the past few years (2010 and up) to buy today NEW --

Which would you pick that most closely resembles the UJM of our collective admiring ?

Why ?

Please discuss -
    The Suzi GS1250F Bandit and or the Harley XR1200, why? cuz they are the only ones that are comfortable to me, that or an FJR Sport tour.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Honda CB1100

Not sure I'd buy one, but it's the closest modern bike to a GS that I can think of.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Honda CB1100

Not sure I'd buy one, but it's the closest modern bike to a GS that I can think of.

good thought Ed. Many of the specs are classic 1980s 2017 CB1100 overview
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Seeing as this is a fantasy thread and the Honda 1100 is already mentioned. Given a bottomless wallet and a body that would fit on it. I kind of like dB Customs new run of 10 limited edition XR 69's.........

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

anything with a stiff frame and abs and traction control.
            my kbike has never faded or caught me out on my lack of skill in uncertain conditions.
            the 500 was and is a cheap low buck let's sell the enemy a way to kill himself bike.

The Honda is nice I don't think it has any modernity aside from fi?
            If bikes don't look like a bug it seems kids don't want to buy them and they are the ones with disposable income prior to their first emasculating relationship with a bike hating woman.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The CB1100 has ABS and FI.

This one may qualify as modern classic too...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I was surprised to see Kawasaki give the retro bike a go, considering that Honda's attempt didn't go over too well. In fact, I think there are still some Honda CB1100's from 2013 and 2014 still available as leftovers.

Comment

I bought it 14 years ago. Air/oil cooled 1200 Bandit. I was impressed with my 85 1150E and the B12 is the same, but does everything a little bit better.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Truth being the Honda CB1100 is not a performer where as the Z900RS is more premium over the plastic faired Z.

I think my TU250X definitely pulls from that air cooled UJM design.

Phenomenal little bike... Keeps right up with anything at legal or slightly illegal speeds here in Vermont with me or any skilled Cat behind the bars.

My XR1200 also looks like a classic bike with modern finishes... I love the big oil boiln' 1200cc Sporster EVO engine. TORQUE!

Sounds and looks great!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Kaw's ZRX 1100/1200 pretty much did it for me. Carbureted, twin shock, liquid cooled, 145+ HP, classic lines, plenty of aftermarket goodies available, comfy, etc. etc. Of course, the Big K decided that such a fine, affordable bike should be discontinued in 2007, and resulted in the things gaining cult $tatus. Pity.

ZRX.jpg
                      '80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                        I was surprised to see Kawasaki give the retro bike a go, considering that Honda's attempt didn't go over too well. In fact, I think there are still some Honda CB1100's from 2013 and 2014 still available as leftovers.
                        Well honda missed the ball there. They went for a "cruiser" style Modern classic, they should have modeled it after like A CB1100f.. hell even tge tank has the correct shape already... now kawi did exactly what was needed to sell. They modeled it after their classic sport bike that kids lusted over back in the day. Not the bike your pops would ride..
                        Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 12-11-2017, 08:46 PM.
                        I build Pipers

Comment

I am your pops sonny boy…LOL!!!
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            I am your pops sonny boy…LOL!!!
                            hahah i was talking about kids in the 70s/80s Pops!!!!!

im just a little peeved by hondas blindness.

this is a 14 cb1100... this could have been real...

2014-cb1100-freddie-spencer-rider-for-kids by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

and another, though not as cool

lv0116-237916_1@2x by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

mix the two together and youd have a bike thatd sell really well... imo.
                            Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 12-11-2017, 08:42 PM.
                            I build Pipers

Comment

FZ 1 Yamaha

B12 Bandit

Both are as close to a UJM as you can get
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X