Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Motorcycle most like a real 80's UJM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    The problem with a 108 mph top speed is not so much the 108 mph, it is that around 80 mph, you're out of acceleration. On the interstate, I have often needed a burst of acceleration at 75-80 to get clear of a predicament. No go makes me a sitting duck.
    Eek! All the size and weight of an 1100 and the highway speed of a 650. Yea I would have to pass. Normal everyday highway speed here is about 75 for the slow ones like me. It does though seem like something that could be fixed if its a computer thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
      Eek! All the size and weight of an 1100 and the highway speed of a 650. Yea I would have to pass. Normal everyday highway speed here is about 75 for the slow ones like me. It does though seem like something that could be fixed if its a computer thing though.
      It's the same acceleration and top speed as my 82 GS450!
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        It's the same acceleration and top speed as my 82 GS450!
        The bike also has rev limiters in each gear after 2nd to slow acceleration, I think the bike won't let you rev up to redline in certain gears...

@Pilot, I'm 95% sure your right about the ECU upgrades to the general public but I think it's really really expensive... I think it's both hardware and software that needs to be fixed/upgraded... I have read that bike unrestricted is quite a blast but after another $1500-$2500 dropped you have a bike that would still struggle to keep up with a modern retro inspired model and be eaten by the premium retro inspired bikes (Z900RS and XSR900).

HAHAH my Sportster will easily do +120mph... A 1100cc I-4 should smoke it not be stuck eating the HD's dust...
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

The CB1100 has a speed limiter. Something an ECU reflash could fix if its an issue.

2013 CB1100 review by CycleWorld: https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/0...-specs/#page-4
          1/4 mile: 11.79 sec @ 110.87 mph
          0—60 mph: 3.3 sec
          measured top speed: 112 mph — a limiter cuts in at 110 mph

Comment

I rode the old 90s Honda CB1000. I really really wanted to like it, but I didn't. It is a personal thing about neutral steering. I didn't like having to keep a little opposite lock on the Honda to keep it from falling into the turns. On paper, it was everything I wanted. The pastor down the street from me was selling his ZRX1200, and it was the seat and riding position that kept me from taking him up on it. I liked the low end power. I didn't ride it far enough to sample the top end power. Do you have to pull the cams to adjust the valves on those? That was a deal breaker for me on some older Kawasakis.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I'd purchase the 2017 Moto Guzzi V7III Special.
              Fun Bike, Price is right and the look to right too.

v7-III-Special_main_image_Blu-Zaffiro.jpg
              1982 Suzuki GS750E
              1979 Suzuki GS750E
              1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
              1977 HD CR1000
              1977 Kawasaki KZ400
              1974 Honda CB750

Comment

Maybe I missed something, but why are there limiters on the CB1100? Honda makes other bikes that go faster than 108.
                My ZX14 (all 14's) will go about 188 and the rev limiter kicks in. Same for the other bikes capable of those speeds. Years ago I read that it was some kind of gentleman's agreement to limit the bikes to 186-188. I have no idea how they came up with that speed. Like they're worried about safety? Many bikes could go 200+ now but could you tell the difference between a 188 mph crash and a 202 mph crash? Would you be less dead?
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  I rode the old 90s Honda CB1000. I really really wanted to like it, but I didn't. It is a personal thing about neutral steering. I didn't like having to keep a little opposite lock on the Honda to keep it from falling into the turns. On paper, it was everything I wanted. The pastor down the street from me was selling his ZRX1200, and it was the seat and riding position that kept me from taking him up on it. I liked the low end power. I didn't ride it far enough to sample the top end power. Do you have to pull the cams to adjust the valves on those? That was a deal breaker for me on some older Kawasakis.
                  The Big One? I really liked that bike. It did pretty much everything well. Not a demon, speedwise, but solid performance. And gorgeous!
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                    The CB1100 has a speed limiter. Something an ECU reflash could fix if its an issue.

2013 CB1100 review by CycleWorld: https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/0...-specs/#page-4
                    1/4 mile: 11.79 sec @ 110.87 mph
                    0—60 mph: 3.3 sec
                    measured top speed: 112 mph — a limiter cuts in at 110 mph
                    Those aren't hideous. I imagine once the limiters were out of the way, it'd be a beast.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                      Maybe I missed something, but why are there limiters on the CB1100? Honda makes other bikes that go faster than 108.
                      My ZX14 (all 14's) will go about 188 and the rev limiter kicks in. Same for the other bikes capable of those speeds. Years ago I read that it was some kind of gentleman's agreement to limit the bikes to 186-188. I have no idea how they came up with that speed. Like they're worried about safety? Many bikes could go 200+ now but could you tell the difference between a 188 mph crash and a 202 mph crash? Would you be less dead?
                      Whoa, sounds like a case of age discrimination! Old dudes unite!
                      sigpic
                      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
                        Whoa, sounds like a case of age discrimination! Old dudes unite!
                        Those CB1100 acceleration numbers are much better than the 2013 Triumph Bonneville’s.
                        Lots of old dudes that have Bonnevilles aren’t particularly concerned about the limiter. (Me included — I have an ’09 Bonneville SE.)

The Bonneville is a retro patterned after the cool Triumphs of the 1960s.
                        The Ducati is a more modern interpretation.
                        Perhaps Honda marketing didn’t quite understand the difference between cool vintage & good reliable vintage.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                          Those CB1100 acceleration numbers are much better than the 2013 Triumph Bonneville’s.
                          Lots of old dudes that have Bonnevilles aren’t particularly concerned about the limiter. (Me included — I have an ’09 Bonneville SE.)

The Bonneville is a retro patterned after the cool Triumphs of the 1960s.
                          The Ducati is a more modern interpretation.
                          Perhaps Honda marketing didn’t quite understand the difference between cool vintage & good reliable vintage.
                          I was being facetious of course. But maybe Honda just honestly thinks the people who are attracted to the CB1100 need an electronic babysitter before graduating to “Depends” and a caregiver. (Sarcasm).
                          sigpic
                          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I hadn't really seen the new Gold Wing until now (and perhaps this is a different discussion entirely), but I have to say holy fudge -- they freakin' nailed it.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

"1/4 mile: 11.79 sec @ 110.87 mph
                              0—60 mph: 3.3 sec"

Faster than I saw on the old 900 Kawasaki tests. Not a burner, but not "slow".

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                                I hadn't really seen the new Gold Wing until now (and perhaps this is a different discussion entirely), but I have to say holy fudge -- they freakin' nailed it.

Exactly. I was almost ready to go beg borrow or steal a loan for one of them. Definitely something to look at again
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X