Chems for cleaning tachometer and Speedometer cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chems for cleaning tachometer and Speedometer cable

My speedo seems fine but at higher speeds my mini tach has started bouncing. I researched and it seems the culprit might be a gummed up cable. I read that 3in1 silicon lube can be used after cleaning in the jacket but I cant seem to get to what is best to use to clean it.

Carb spray, brake cleaner, WD 40 ??

I will be pulling my forks off this weekend so I figure its a good time to address the cable.
    As always thank you for any guidance.
    Alex
    Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM.

I usually pull the actual cable out of the sheath and then clean the dirt, rust, goop, whatever from the cable with a rag and WD40. Then I shoot WD into the sheath, put the cable back in and work it in and out a bit then take it out and wipe it down again. I take a very small bit of Honda Moly and coat the cable before I put it back into the outer sheath. You can use whatever you like on the cable, just be sure to wipe off any excess so it doesn't get into the gauge. Works well for me.

Comment

A word of caution about WD40. It works great at first for unsticking things but when it starts to dry out it becomes very sticky. WD stands for water displacement. The 40 is the number of chemicals in the mix. It is good for spraying on the chrome and metals for winter storage but for a lubricant I would recommend penetrating oil or a little shot of sewing machine oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
        A word of caution about WD40. It works great at first for unsticking things but when it starts to dry out it becomes very sticky. WD stands for water displacement. The 40 is the number of chemicals in the mix. It is good for spraying on the chrome and metals for winter storage but for a lubricant I would recommend penetrating oil or a little shot of sewing machine oil.
        Actually, the "40" is the number of iterations of the formula for the product. As you said, it is not a lubricant.

Comment

but its a good cleaner .. yes? I will pick up the silicon spray for the reassembly

Comment

This is another one of those parts that people forget can be run through your ultrasonic cleaner after disassembly.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

The best device for cleaning any cable is a plastic rectangle found in your wallet.

Use the numbers on this rectangle to order up a new OEM Suzuki cable from your favorite source for Suzuki bits. Don't bother with the expensive imitation aftermarket crap.

If the cable is not moving freely it's worn out inside. You can get a little more life by lubing it, but the best course is always to replace it.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yea .. I am looking to put off the new cable until I make a new order just because of the shipping. I did remove the cable today and removed the cable inside. I cleaned out the housing with wd40 several times and let the goop drip out. Then I cleaned it with simply green and then took air to it and blew it out. I figure the housing is as clean as its going to get.

I cleaned the cable and some of the little bits the same way. I then sprayed the inside of the housing with Silicon lube spray and treated the cable and the little bits to the same and reassembled.

I still get a little bounce at 80 mph but .. I dont often travel at 80 so I am cool with it for now. It used to start at about 68mph and it was a wide bounce all over the place. Dont know why it bothered me since I am on the highway cruising and the engine speed means little to me but .. you guys know how annoying a mechanical thingy not working as it should can be. Especially when its right in your face mocking you. At speeds up to 80 the tach was bone steady so for now .. mission accomplished.

I still have a few things i need to order so I will toss a tachometer cable on that order. At present I have been waiting a month for my last order.

Comment

I use welding wire and drag a patch through the sheath like doing a gun barrel. Wipe a heavy coat of grease on the cable itself and reinsert.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    I use welding wire and drag a patch through the sheath like doing a gun barrel. Wipe a heavy coat of grease on the cable itself and reinsert.
                    Damn I didnt think of that .. and I am a gun guy and just finished cleaning three of them after my monday outing!!

Comment

I pull the inner cable and spray brake cleaner into the sheath to fully clean it. The I clean the cable and use dry graphite to lube the cable. Yeah the stuff we used in the 50's to lube speedometer cables. It will never gunk up and is impervious to temp.

While you're at it lube your clutch and throttle cables, which should be done every year anyway. I use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) on clutch and throttle cables.

Comment

Working...
                      X