• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Wes Cooley here

Hello all,
    I'm new to this site.
    Yes, it's really me.
    Next Thursday I'm hosting a "Ask Me Anything" session on reddit.com/r/motorcycles.
    Would love to hear and answer any questions you may have as I get back into motorcycling!

Welcome to the site Wes. I regret I didn't make it over and meet you and hear some stories from your past when you were visiting Trev........
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

It's an honor having you as a member of the site. Let me be one of the first to welcome you, and to thank you for the many years of enjoying watching you race. Your battles with Freddie, and Eddie in the late 70's and early 80's are fond memories of pure racing pleasure. The 1000S was the first non-Honda I ever bought, and love it to death.

IMGP0054-001 by Larry Pearson, on Flickr
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Welcome Wes, How do we know that it is really you, when I spoke to you at Barber you said you could hardly work a phone! LOL To bad the event got rained out I was looking forward to talking to you again. Welcome to the site.
        81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Hello and welcome Wes, from an admirer on another continent!

Looking forward to reading your stories here!
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Ha Ha! right. Well, it's me. I met a guy in New Zealand last month and he's helping me get back out there. Slowly though.
            want to add to this. I had a great weekend last month at Levels in Timaru. Except for when the battery died mid-ride and I had to be towed back in. Croz built a nice bike for me to ride and Simon was so gracious to let me use it..
            The weather was perfect all weekend. So were the people and the racing.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Welcome Wes.

Have never had the pleasure of meeting you, but I did meet your dad. Saw a LARGE picture on the wall behind his desk of two bikes racing through a corner and commented that he must like motorcycle racing. His comment was simply "yeah, that's my son". Then I took another look at the name plate on his desk.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome Wes, very cool that you are a part of our dedicated forum here. Many of us have been following your adventures with our friend Trevor. Many of us miss him around here. I think you will find this forum your kind of place...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Awesome!

I was wondering if and when you'd ever show up here.

What time is the Reddit AMA scheduled? Do you have a link?

Broadly speaking (it can wait until the AMA if you prefer) I'm most interested in what you've been up to since retiring from racing. I know you have a different career now, but do you still ride motorcycles for fun, or are you still involved in motorcycling in any way? Any cool mementos of your racing career?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

hello. thank you all for the warm reception.
                    I'm doing the AMA thing at 10:00 in the morning on thursday, jan 4.
                    Here's a link to a conversation I had over there: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...s_cooley_here/

I'm learning all this social media with the help of another rider so be patient please.
                    I don't ride on the street any more but I do get to events like Barber, MidOhio, Timaru and in March, I'm headed out with Freddie to another one.
                    thanks again.

Comment

What a great way to start the New Year! Welcome Wes, we are honored to have you among us!
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Welcome Wes. Ive been busy as usual resurrecting barn finds for customers. Hope someday to be able to meet you face to face. I have a idea maybe we can chat about over on facebook some time...if our time ever syncs up.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Been awhile since you been called a Newbie im sure and welcome to this forum

Comment

Hey Wes,

It's an honor to have you here!

I have resurrected a few of your namesake bikes, as they are high on my like list.

Welcome and we hope to see you frequent the GSR!

Comment

Hi Wes
                              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                              X