• Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOTM Jan 2018 - 850G Cafe

1981 Suzuki GS850GOwner: Alexander Griffus

http://www.thegsresources.com/botm.p...r=2018&month=1

Nice cafe project.
    Dont see Gs cafe'd as much as others.

I, myself dont think I would enjoy riding a cafe very far (over 2 miles).

But this is a nice photo, Road scene with interesting background.
    And does have something of a seat.

Congratulation Alexander.
    Tell us more of your project.
    Such as: Where you hiding any t/signals & brake lights.... leds in the rail under the tail piece? Any instruments other than the 4 lights in headlight shell?
    Oh, there, on top of licence plate bracket, I see something of a tail light.

Later Note:
    Others have pointed out that this is same bike/owner as May 2010, in more stock condition

Last edited by Redman; 01-01-2018, 09:35 AM. Reason: later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

OK, Dave, how did you see that? I clicked on the "current BOTM" link and I see Scott Kempton's '81 850.

Never mind. I clicked on the BOTM gallery page, it was there.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Congratulation Alexander.
      Tell us more of your project.
      Says it was submitted in 2010. Dont remember that far back about a build thread. Whats his GSR name ? Damn nice looking work / Bike !!
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        Says it was submitted in 2010. Dont remember that far back about a build thread. Whats his GSR name ? Damn nice looking work / Bike !!
        He also had BOTM in May, 2010 with the same bike, which was basically stock, but repainted.

"What's his GSR name" has long been a question I have had. I have submitted a request to Mark to add that to the BOTM listing.

Yes, that is some nice work on the bike. It's nice to see a cafe-style bike with side covers. I have never been a fan of the "I have to see through the middle" philosophy of cafe bike building.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          OK, Dave, how did you see that? ...........
          Oh... Now I see. My link that I use is to the Gallery, not the current BOTM.
          Sometimes the BOTM is posted early, and more often sometimes posted late, so I didn't notice that it wasn't posted as current yet.

Did not mean to shorten Scott's rein for December.

Last edited by Redman; 12-31-2017, 01:44 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Not that it's hard to find, but how come when ever anyone starts a BOM thread they don't supply a link or copy and paste the photo and text?

http://www.thegsresources.com/images/botm/2018_01.jpg
            2018_01.jpg

agriffus@pacbell.net
            ID #250
            A Note From The Owner

This is the Café build I talked about in May of 2010. This is the same bike. I guess I had the year wrong when I submitted it back then. Anyway, you can see all the custom changes and it is truly a joy to ride.
            Last edited by gsrick; 12-31-2017, 02:12 PM.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              Not that it's hard to find, but how come when ever anyone starts a BOM thread they don't supply a link or copy and paste the photo and text?

http://www.thegsresources.com/images/botm/2018_01.jpg
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]53617[/ATTACH]

agriffus@pacbell.net
              ID #250
              A Note From The Owner

This is the Café build I talked about in May of 2010. This is the same bike. I guess I had the year wrong when I submitted it back then. Anyway, you can see all the custom changes and it is truly a joy to ride.
              I wondered the same thing.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sometimes the link is posted. I have tried copying and pasting the picture, but it only shows up as a link.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Sometimes the link is posted. I have tried copying and pasting the picture, but it only shows up as a link.

Yeah, I had trouble doing that. I finally had to do a save as and upload the pic from my computer. I tried to blow it up, but it still only showed up as a link. Must be something in GSR.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

.............. I have tried copying and pasting the picture, but it only shows up as a link.
                    I think I recall Frank (or Mark) saying he did something so that can not post pictures in this section of the forum (maybe so folks could not try to submit their photos by posting them).

Have added link to BOTM Gallery 2018 January (not link to current month) to original posting.

Alexander,
                    Tell us about that tail piece. That something you fabricated?
                    Tell us about the seat (many cafes the seat is a piece of plywood covered with what seems like only a sheet of vinyl)
                    Last edited by Redman; 01-01-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Definitely nice bike, well deserved!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Nice looking and well deserved Bike of the month! Congratulations!
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I think I recall Frank (or Mark) saying he did something so that can not post pictures in this section of the forum (maybe so folks could not try to submit their photos by posting them).

Have added link to BOTM Gallery 2018 January (not link to current month) to original posting.

Alexander,
                          Tell us about that tail piece. That something you fabricated?
                          Tell us about the seat (many cafes the seat is a piece of plywood covered with what seems like only a sheet of vinyl)
                          It's good of you to draw attention to the BOTM, Dave. That gallery is full of great looking bikes (yours included). The care for these old bikes and creativity put into custom builds deserves recognition. I can't recall another cafe'd out 850 and Alexander pulled it off tastefully!

Thanks again for posting this. I tend to forget about the homepage and just go straight to the forum.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I've been going to the home page shown at the bottom of the Forum page to see the monthly winners. It's a good learning curve for me to navigate to "other than" the forum.

Thanks for the reminder to all who post it!

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Oh... Now I see. My link that I use is to the Gallery, not the current BOTM.
                              Sometimes the BOTM is posted early, and more often sometimes posted late, so I didn't notice that it wasn't posted as current yet.

Did not mean to shorten Scott's rein for December.

Comment

Working...
                              X