Ohlin Chinese knock off Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohlin Chinese knock off Shocks

I have seen numerous GS projects with these Chinese RFY shock installed. Anyone on the forum have any experience with these EBay RFY 13" shock absorbers, i.e. are they good or still junk?

The ad shows some Ohlin STX 36 in the background.

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

I hope some reply with good results. They sure look cool and affordable.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have read that they are not that great of out the box, but do work well after a little bit of attention.
      There is a vendor who rebuilds them to take care of the issues, there are some reviews on his site also:
      I’ve dubbed this RFY release the “Model 3.” It’s the latest in the line of budget shocks coming from the People’s Republic and is an enticing find given the promise of at least three visible adjustment knobs. At a low … Read More

Regards,
      Jason

Comment

I have his shocks on a Suzuki GT380 cafe build that I completed last summer. Have only put a few miles on them, but so far they seem fine.
        A search for “chrislivengood” returns around 20 hits. The ones I looked at expressed positive views of his shocks.
        I met Chris at the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride & he does know a good bit about this stuff.

Comment

One possible issue I've read about is that there are only a few spring rates available. If they have the right weight for you, and the leverage ratio for your bike's rear end, then it's all good though.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            One possible issue I've read about is that there are only a few spring rates available. If they have the right weight for you, and the leverage ratio for your bike's rear end, then it's all good though.
            I didn’t think of mentioning this.

We originally got the shocks for the GT250 cafe build. The GT250 is considerably lighter than the GT380. Plus the GT250 rider (a friend/mechanic) is considerably lighter than the GT380 rider (me). The shocks were too stiff for the GT250 + rider.

We ended up getting JBS shocks for the GT250 & used the CLMoto shocks on the GT380. Picked JBS shocks that were intended for a small Honda. Haven’t measured saga, but both combos look reasonable.

Chris rode a Yamaha RD cafe at the DGR event. It might be the bike shown for his RD350 shock kit.

I don’t know why the CLMoto shocks work for Chris’s RD & didn’t work well on the GT250. I talked to Chris about it after we had the GT250 & GT380 builds completed & on the road.

Comment

I have a pair on my XS650 cafe racer. The one so have have a high spring rate even with 0psi air in them, are heavily damped and work well on the cafe racer. If you have a preference for a plush ride rather than a sharp ride they probably won’t be for you.EF41B439-7D0F-4E2D-8545-12FFF5291357.jpg
              Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2018, 01:45 PM. Reason: Misautocorrect corrected

Comment

I've heard RFY shocks have been improved by the factory since the chrislivengood fix a few years ago. I run a pair on my 80 gs1100 and they seem fine.
                80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCloud View Post
                  I have read that they are not that great of out the box, but do work well after a little bit of attention.
                  There is a vendor who rebuilds them to take care of the issues, there are some reviews on his site also:
                  I’ve dubbed this RFY release the “Model 3.” It’s the latest in the line of budget shocks coming from the People’s Republic and is an enticing find given the promise of at least three visible adjustment knobs. At a low … Read More

http://chrislivengood.net/wp/product/rfy-shock-rebuild/
                  I read the reviews and he gives them a 'do not buy' at $130 right out of the box. Yes, he also has a rebuild listed at $80 to $200 plus, so if you figure that in to get a decent shock the price point is anywhere from over $200 to well over $300.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I picked up a set of Bi-Tubo's from Italy on a group buy in a another forum for around $345. Good high quality shock, set up for my weight and rebuildable. Guys on the ZRX forum either run Ohlins or these. Will install this spring
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

We got the CLMoto shocks for the GT250 because the owner is on a budget and wanted the cool look of reservoir shocks. They were $203.
                      If that’s what you are after then they probably are a reasonable choice.

For the GT550 cafe build we are now working on, I got the somewhat more expensive YSS E302 shocks that were setup for my weight.
                      For the next-up T500 cafe build, I’m considering the expensive RaceTech G3-S IFP shocks.
                      These non-reservoir shocks are $350 & $800, respectively. The reservoir counterparts are $450 & $1,400 (ouch).

Seems like Hagons are a popular tight budget choice for non-reservoir shocks. I tried to talk the GT250 owner into them but he wasn’t having it.

Comment

Originally posted by swanny View Post
                        I read the reviews and he gives them a 'do not buy' at $130 right out of the box. Yes, he also has a rebuild listed at $80 to $200 plus, so if you figure that in to get a decent shock the price point is anywhere from over $200 to well over $300.
                        I am guessing the RFY shocks with the fake adjustment knob is the Generation 3 he is referring to. Anyway I would steer clear.

You would think an ISO 9001 registered company (RFY) would have work instruction, detailed assembly processes and calibrated equipment to produce a consistent shock absorber. After reading chrislivengood's disassembly comments, that appears not to be the case?
                        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                          I am guessing the RFY shocks with the fake adjustment knob is the Generation 3 he is referring to. Anyway I would steer clear.

You would think an ISO 9001 registered company (RFY) would have work instruction, detailed assembly processes and calibrated equipment to produce a consistent shock absorber. After reading chrislivengood's disassembly comments, that appears not to be the case?
                          ISO 9000 certification is just for the manufacturing processes..a workers "if I die" manual as we used to say....most companies keep it pretty light in the reading for ease of passing audits...some places write novels{lol}.

Comment

Cynically, I suspect the critics of these components haven’t any personal experience with them...

Comment

I've used a set. They are ok. As good as a stock shock or a progressive, bit harsh maybe.

I've heard that the "improved" ones are very good. I didn't so much like the quality of the shock eyes etc to be honest but they seemed to last ok. I went Stock, Ikon, Progressive, RFY, Works performance. The Ikons & Works are the best of that list... The works have it if I had to choose and their ARS adjustment is very clever (actually changes spring rate not pre-load - that is independent)
                              I've ridden GS's with most things fitted incl Ohlins, Marzocchi & Hagons. Not YSS. To be honest at a certain point the shocks don't matter. Most people can't ride past the limitations of the other bits enough to tell the difference.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X