Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days Festival 2018! July 6th 7th 8th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I'd imagine they're still doing the Lap of Legends, you'd have to look at the program guide scheduled to see, but they seem to do that every year, and I do think you have to donate $10 to the AMA museum fund or something... I managed to do it for free a few years ago due to some connections I had. I got to do Barber also due to the same connections.

& I'm FINALLY getting my GS400 frame titled so I can finally start building my road race bike without stripping down a perfectly good stock GS425!
    I think I'll probably be getting my Rickman CR900 frame titled also, possibly road racer number two, with an 1100cc GS1000 engine!

If you think that road course is awesome, you should definitely go to Barber vintage Motorsports complex, that course is designed around motorcycles and probably the best in the usa. And the museum is filled with amazing bikes, with about 5x as much bike inventory in the warehouse is not on display, awaiting restoration or in rotation... Mr Barber has probably the best motorcycle collection in the world...
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I gotta love my wife. Been married for coming up on 31 yrs. Told her about the vintage days. Conversation went something like this: Thinking about going to this up at Mid-Ohio. "What is it, going to be a lot of people there?" Vintage motorcycles, racing, swap meet, etc. Yeah, thousands of people. "You hate crowds?" Yeah, but I would be able to ride a lap around the track! "Oh nice, by yourself?" No, a parade lap. "So wait, your going to go up there, with all those people, pay extra to ride a parade lap? But you like to ride fast in the corners right?" Yeah, I do. "I don't get it. You hate crowds and riding slow in corners. Why don't you just go to your usual roads and ride fast?"
      Ha ha. She gets me.......
      1983 GS750 E - gone forever
      Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
      1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
      2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
      2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Comment

I'll be there Saturday morning. I'm thinking about taking the truck so I can possibly drag something home... Chuck, I know how to find you. Ratatouille, I'll send you a private message with my phone number. Maybe we can meet up. 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

We'll be in the same row by the trees, buncha friends & friends of friends taking over half of rippers row there by the trees @ edge of barrel races. 20 of us Friday night 30+ for Saturday night, huge party!!!
          My old '62 GMC needs a lot of love right now so I'm pulling the trailer with a silver VW Jetta TDI wagon.
          Kawasaki KDX220R probably with purple tank and graphics, although I might put the black tank and green or white shrouds back on so I don't destroy the sought after purple stuff.
          Red '74 Rickman 250cc for sale, I've got to put some finishing touches on that, output shaft seal on gearbox is leaking significantly! Shift drum detent spring needs shimmed. Hopefully my 1" fork spring preload spacers were good and not too much for off-road, too soft without.
          Black bodywork '07 KTM 200 XC-W also (wifes, she's riding her Triumph Bonneville up Fri night/Sat AM)
          No GS sadly, no Lap of Legends... Probably a good thing as a little bit of liquor and a bald tire Saturday night a few years ago (2018 or '19 AMA VMD?) caused me to overheat a stock GS750 8v engine severely (Delkevic header was cherry red smokin' hot!!! Oops!) and fry the GS's valve stem seals & piston rings at the corner party burnout contest! I still rode it cross country after that but it was using a bit of oil...
          Put the best picks of my 850 pistons, used rings, and freshly honed and resurfaced cylinder on it, lapped valves + new stem seals, and it was the best compression I've had on any stock piston engine to date, 850/1000 cams for the first time on my machines, definitely lost some 7,000-11,000 RPM acceleration but the mid-range torque is very much pleasing!
          Still have a ported head Yoshimura cams and 920cc cylinders/pistons for an ultimate GS750 build...but this 850 top end is quite pleasing!
          I'll build another spare engine with that stuff later & swap this one to a bare titled frame I have & build a budget "Chuck's parts bin" hot rod build & flip to a friend most likely.
          Last edited by Chuck78; 07-21-2021, 10:56 AM.
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I came up early. I figured what's the difference of coming up tonight or tomorrow morning. Plus I'd have a better chance of getting a good spot. I'm camped/parked in the party section of the grounds. However the fellows next to me said that they might get a little loud.. Ha, I've been to popcorn parties louder than them... I did check out the "unsanctioned " Barrel Races. Also the Burnout Contest. Some folks where just melting down their engines... And what a cool moon tonight! One more beer and I'm done. I'm going to sleep under the stars in the bed of my truck... good night 😊
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Sounds awesome. Didn't work out for me getting there this year I guess. The last time I was there we met some folks that had acoustic guitars and they asked us to play something. We did a short set of megadeth. Actually drew a bit of a crowd. That place is one big party. The racing is great too. I'd never seen side car racing before. Blew my mind. Have fun guys.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

This sounds like what Brainerd International Raceway was before the fun police got big headed. Sounds like an absolute riot. I'll be retiring in June of 2022. This and Barber sound extremely fun.
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Storm!!!
                  Sorry I missed you, some of my friends said you came by the campsite looking for me...
                  Good story, you slept in the bed of your truck? Thursday night to do was very heavy, everything we had out was soaking wet! Not so bad Friday night and Saturday night though...
                  I spent a good bit of time at the corner party AKA burnout pit you're out... Lost my voice partially both Friday night and Saturday night due to that perpetual party, and we had some hardcore punk rock bands playing at our campsite spaces, which also got very rowdy!
                  Unfortunately I broke my new to me "rebuilt" KDX220R (internal kickstart/clutch area problem). Never trust someone else's rebuild work, I guess! I should have known better based on the guy's terrible wire crimping job installing a tusk dual sport kit to make this crazy 2 stroke street legal...
                  Then he told me a KTM shop rebuilt the engine?
                  They sure didn't torque the head gasket tight enough! I think they might have lied about putting a Wiseco piston in it also...

Thanks to some liquid courage saturday, I finally was really getting the hang of ripping around on that '74 Rickman motocrosser, trying to lean it like an ice racer and grabbing a whole handful of throttle doing probably 100 laps on the dirt flat track for the unsanctioned unscored barrel races! Miraculously I only laid it down once, I was worried about the IRC mud knobby up front that I just installed, on hard pack dry clay and ruts, but it did awesome...
                  Wow that bike was super fun, a tall modern Enduro bike is relatively scary to slide through corners like that due to the height and wheelbase and fear of high siding! That Rickman frame is really awesome and compact and are great to slide. I was trying to sell it but I might keep it as my vintage days barrel race bike! The most interested buyers I had were Saturday night, and I might have blown that by letting them witness me clamping a bicycle headlight on to go out and blaze around the barrels with dozens of other lunatics! Burning rubber spitting rocks and dirt out of the corners and power sliding into/through the corners on a pristine and rare vintage bike with a "For Sale" sign on it is a bit of a paradox... LoL ��
                  '79 GS425stock
                  PROJECTS:
                  '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

FYI Norm, with the attendance the event has drawn the past several times, breaking attendance records every single year, "early" means you are there waiting in line at 2:00 p.m. Thursday in order to get in when they open the gate at 5:00PM...
                    Or getting in 9:00AM Thursday with a season pass or racing registration or a vendor pass (swap meet spots reserved).
                    I was there 9:00AM Thursday to stake out a couple more sites (my brother buys all of our family season passes to the track). My buddies got there Wednesday to volunteer and had a couple sites reserved already.
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

So who is going this year?!?
                      Norm?
                      Jedz?

You better bet this guy will be!

I might have either a Suzuki GS400 hot rod big bore track bike built by then, or maybe a vintage Suzuki PE250 Enduro that I've had for years, one of two models of PE that I have for resto-mods!

I doubt I'll have time to get it ready for sale and have another GS built by then, but I've been thinking about liquidating all of my beloved GS750 stuff since I have 77-79 GS chain drive models of all sizes, GS400 and 425 for the lightweight twins, GS550 with 650 big bore top end for a lightweight inline-4, and a '78 GS1000, plus Rickman CR slated for a GS1000 engine, and several GS1100G top ends.
                      The 750s with an 850 top end are INCREDIBLE bikes, but they are right in the middle of the lineup and I can't store or maintain as many bikes as I currently have... So I might haul all that stuff there for sale if I get another daily rider GS build completed by then.
                      Last edited by Chuck78; 04-22-2022, 11:14 AM.
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Ha, you know I'll be there Chuck. I'll be there with all the bells and whistles and ready to party down!
                        I need to get me a pit bike to get around on and to race on the dirt oval.
                        My Motorcycles:
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)

Comment

Working...
                        X