Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days Festival 2018! July 6th 7th 8th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI THIS AWESOME ANNUAL EVENT IS TAKING PLACE FRIDAY JULY 5th - SUNDAY JULY 7th, 2019!!!
    It is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Honda CB750 and another notable anniversary, the 60th year of Honda being in the USA. Honda is the sponsor this year. Another famous racer was just announced as the Grand Marshal, AMA Hall of Famer and one of the winningest racers in history, Factory Honda racer Bubba Shobert

I will be arriving midday July 4th, I could care less about the holiday in relation to this festival, I always get there early to get a prime camping spot for our usual crewcof 6-12 friends, & to get to browse the swap meet before it gets picked through! 23 or maybe even now 26 acres of swap meet, it's been getting bigger every year again for several years!

This is one of the two biggest vintage motorcycle events in the entire United States, and it is well worth traveling a day or more to get to this.
    Barber Motorsports Park & Museum in Alabama is the other one, first weekend of October, it is the more formal of the two with a racetrack purposefully designed to be the best at candy for motorcycles specifically, but Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course race track is really good as well, swap meet is bigger, campground is a lot more "entertaining!"

Bring any dirt bikes or pit bikes if you have them, they will definitely get put to good use! They do great Vintage Motocross and Vintage Hare Scrambles here also, and there are some really fun woods to ride in with some great ravines, after hours at least, as Friday and Saturday daytime they are doing Hare scramble and vintage trials in the woods. I think the Hare scramble is mostly just Friday? It's a riot! I hope to enter a '77 Suzuki PE250 this year or next, Unfortunately shattering my kneecap and having to have surgery and plates & pins & screws (just now) put a big damper on that for this season...
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

7 days til AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days 2019!!!!
      Anybody else attending?
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Chuck, I plan on making it to the event on my way home from vacation. My buddies are already going to be there, we'll be camped back in the corner aria ... I'll find you👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Norm!!!!

I was curious who was replying to this thread when I got the email alert, I would not have guessed it was you, being all the way on the other side of the country now! Wow, iron butt return trip, enjoy it while you're out west! I guess that's one thing that a massive sport touring bike is REALLY good for, comfortable long hauls through the great plains especially! The most tediuos rudes to endure in the U.S.! 100 miles or double or triple that, with a zero curves in the road, not even a few degrees! My ultra sticky sporty tires would not last on roads like that!

I should be up there July 4th early morning trying to get a good campsite or to reserve for my associates and I...
          Right at the fence row between the first and second camping fields, my usual spot around where the peninsula of trees sticks out from the woods.
          Probably driving the old rat rod '62 GMC work truck again, + trailer, easy to spot! Phine doesnt work well there, but I'll find ya & say hello!
          I grew a beard while laid up recovering from knee surgery, FYI...
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I just got home from the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days. What a fun time, however it got a little muddy after the rain showers, but that made it all the more fun! Chuck, I stopped by your camp you were out and about. I chatted with your buddies for a bit, I told them to tell you GS Norm stopped by... It was Honda's 60th anniversary or something like that, so if you're into Hondas it was a Honda mecca. If you're not a Honda fan, is was try to spot the other brand. The VJMC tent was no different, filled with Hondas. Here's a picture of some after hours festivities, I'm sure Chuck will come along with some better pics.
            Attached Files
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Norm!!!!!
              I had to pack up early Sunday (due to dirtbiking mud slinging antics getting nasty stinky mud into my eye & causing an eye infection) & find the Suzuki Samurai guy who was towing everyone out of the mud, as my high performance street tires did not fare well in our flooded mudpit campsite! The Samurai guy was pulling EVERYONE out, including 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks with trailers full of bikes... THE MOST MUDDY I have EVER seen Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

I didnt take my GS out beyond the more dry areas of our campsite, but sure did clock in A LOT of time on the 2 dirtbikes I brought! WOW WAS IT EVER MUDDY! The muddiest I've EVER seen it there!!!!!
              Did not get the '77 Suzuki PE250 restored in time, but my Pittsburgh buddies brought a truckload of early 1970's to 1979 Suzuki Enduros and dirtbikes, & raced 1 in the vintage 125cc motocross class, & I got to many really intense rips around the fields and a bit in the woods on this '74 Rickman Montesa 250cc Vehkonen Replica (race engine built to specs of the famous Finnish racer), & WOW...What a BEASTLY LITTLE MONSTER that bike is, holy crap! Everyone kept asking me if it was a 400cc or 500cc, it sounds soooooooo snarling & mean & aggressive... It nearly broke my ankle 3x trying to kickstart the high compression monster of an engine (kicking backwards with my good leg, had to have my heaviest friend kick it for me several times due to knee injury). Montesa 73M Vehkonen Replica 250cc engine in a special Rickman chassis...every person that I had try to kick-start it for me due to my injured/recovering knee said they had never kickstarted an engine that had so much compression... My 2 friends that I let ride it were floored...one came back with a ghostly white flushed face after grabbimg a big handful of throttle!!!

Next year I hope to have the GS425 roadracer built up, as well as the '77 Suzuki PE250B.
              Also looking for an 80-81 Suzuki PE175, as this Rickman is a rowdy mean snarling beastly little vintage monster, & perhaps too much for a casual trail rider for my wife... perhaps too much engine for me as well!

I unfortunately did not get to watch any road racing due to friends racing motocross & vintage hare scrambles, & my own testing the waters (post-knee surgery) of riding dirtbikes again...
              Hope to focus on twisty road riding thru September, & 2 stroke enduro bike trail riding Sept-Dec. That's my knee surgery recovery program...

2020 AMA VMD...I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Oh yeah my Pittsburgh buddies ALL said unanimously that this event is INCREDIBLE, & They'll be there EVERY YEAR from now on! 1st timers!
              Me in rare party animal form with my PGH punk rocker buddies:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Chuck78; 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM.
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Is anyone on GSR going to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days 2021?!?

I'll be there, although I need to sell a dirtbike or 2, so I might not be bringing a GS for the first time in the history of me going to AMA VMD...
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Haha. Yeah, I'll be there. We'll probably be camped back in the corner, to be close to Saturday's festivities. I'll probably take my truck so I have a place to sleep, also might bring home something...

Chuck, I might be interested in buying a dirt bike. Can I test ride it doing a "Barrel Race"! Haha
                  Last edited by storm 64; 07-07-2021, 07:36 PM.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)

Comment

Possibly.....
                    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                    82 gs1100L probably the next project
                    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                      Possibly.....
                      Come to my house Friday afternoon. We'll ride down to Mid-Ohio Saturday morning. 👍
                      My Motorcycles:
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)

Comment

I've been there just once in the mid 90's and attended the vintage swap meet,lot's of tables.I'm glad they're having the event ! after all this Covid stuff has caused folks to hide from each other:social distancing.
                        Last edited by grcamna2; 07-09-2021, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                          Come to my house Friday afternoon. We'll ride down to Mid-Ohio Saturday morning. 👍
                          Thanks for the invite. I know a couple guys that are going but we haven't worked out the details yet. I think they have a camping spot reserved.

I haven't been there in a few years. The racing is awesome. Lotsa bike parts too.
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I made it there one time, in 2008. Rode my '72 airhead from eastern Pa. Real big crowds then. Watched a lot of the (then) AHMRA track racing and walked all the dealer grids. I had a camping pass with my weekend ticket. They weren't supposed to allow anyone into reserved camping until 9:00 am on Friday. Got there at 9:30 am and it was already max capacity. They had left everyone in the night before. So, off to the overflow camping fields on the other side which was nearly empty. That filled up with many thousands more in a short time. I've been a flat track race fan for many years, so I rode to the Ashland vintage days flat track races on Sat. night. Great fairgrounds track! That was all AHMRA also back then. Somehow, a few years later, the AMA and AHMRA had a tiff and AMA started up their own vintage racing leagues. One of the best things I ever did. That and the Atlantic City rock festival in '69, a couple weeks before Woodstock. Maybe, just maybe maybe go the Barber thing in the Fall. Too old to do the 900+ mi. slab run on a 40 year old bike though.
                            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

In the 9 or 10 years I've been going to AMA VMD, it has progressively gotten bigger every year especially the past 4 or 5 years...
                              Apparently attendance had dropped quite a bit prior to that from the old days. 2019 was the biggest year ever for attendance. Thousands and thousands of campers and many more coming just for the day events...
                              It's become my biggest holiday of the year, every year!
                              Barber Vintage Festival near Birmingham Alabama is a very close second when adding on the week-long trip that I usually take, riding solo through the Eastern mountains and camping 5 or 6 days worth to get there.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days fortunately for me is only one hour north at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, and AMA is headquartered out of my home city of Columbus Ohio! And it's probably the biggest vintage bike event in the US, with Barber very close to it in attendance.
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

May have to check this out. Been back in Ohio for 14 yrs and never been there. Is that lap of legends still going on? I didn't see it on their website, or is that a deal where you have to be there to donate and ride a lap? I got to do a ride along in a race car at that course about a month ago. Whoa, that course is awesome!!!!
                                1983 GS750 E - gone forever
                                Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
                                1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
                                2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
                                2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Comment

Working...
                                X