1983 GS750E Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750E Rebuild

Hello all! Posting from the beautiful (and cold) Pacific North West. I recently picked up a '83 GS750E and have begun the slow process of rebuilding. This will be a new challenge, as I've only half rebuilt one bike before, a 1981 Yamaha XS400.

Here it is just after I picked it up. Definitely not the stock set up. The guy that originally owned it did a lot of custom work on it. Unfortunately, it has been sitting since 1990 or so, when the guy died. His son sold it in a lot of bikes to an exporter, who sold it to me for $350. Definitely gonna need some work. Here's the kicker though. Those carbs on it? Definitely not original. Definitely Mikuni VM29s, which are apparently worth some money. So I have rebuilt those and plan to sell them, hopefully help fund the rebuild.

Here's the carbs after a full rebuild. Soon to be posted on eBay, had to wait till I got back from visiting the folks over Christmas.

Bike as it sits now. Going to start tearing down the rest of it very soon. It's pretty cold for me outside (California native) but I'll have to suck it up, hah.

Will be rebuilding some original stock carbs when they come in. Ordered a set off Canadian eBay that should be here soon.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    Attached Files
    1981 Yamaha XS400H
    1983 Suzuki GS750E (WIP)

I wonder if any internal performance mods were done to the motor. Smoothbores, braced or aftermarket swingarm, aftermarket exhaust as well home brew rearsets and lower clipons I would think there must be some fancy stuff hiding inside the engine. Welcome to the nut house and good luck with the project. Any history on it?
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Hey, thanks Sandy. I appreciate the welcome.

Not much history I could glean from the exporter I bought it from. He basically just wanted to get rid of it since it wasn't a classic enough bike for him to export to Europe, apparently. As I said, the guy who originally owned it and did all the work on it died this past year, and it was sold by his son to the exporter. Really wish I could know, all the work on it really seems like it was done by someone who knew their stuff. He made custom sleeves out of aluminum to put the VM29s on there. I'm sure I'll be finding surprises through out the build.

I actually got the new (well, to me) carbs in today. I just tore them down to soak in chem dip, and boy, I'm amazed at how good condition they are yet how bad condition they are. What I get for $35 on eBay. First carb came apart fine, although there was powder (rust and other corrosion from leftover gas I assume) everywhere in it. Same with the others. Second carb the pilot jet decided to not budge and the brass came apart like butter. Did my best to extract it, but to no avail. It's stuck and it wont be worth getting out at this point. Third and fourth were fine except for the fact that the float posts were broken. Third not so bad, fourth absolutely gone off, though someone tried to repair them (not the best work it seems).

First one coming apart. That pile of rust/powder came out of the bowl. Nothing seems to damaged or in bad condition however.

Third one's broken post. Still usable actually.

Fourth one. I'm afraid the previous owners repair did not hold up.

Good news is I've managed to track down some extra carb bodies on eBay and will hopefully be able to get them altogether next week. Time will tell.

Cheers,
      Patrick
      1981 Yamaha XS400H
      1983 Suzuki GS750E (WIP)

Comment

Welcome to the site, Patrick.
        The classified section on this site is very active, just another place to check before hitting e-Bay.
        Hopefully you recorded the size of the jets in the 29s.
        Once you find out what is in the engine it might be helpful for someone else to know the numbers.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Carbs smaller than stock, i'd bet big money, that engine is stock inside. Those 29's would work great on a stock engine.
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Those VM29's hold some value for sure. Check "sold auction" prices on ebay to judge. Pretty sure they flow a more air than the stock BS32 CV carbs that came on the bike stock. In terms of those other carbs, what a disappointment. Even if they were cheap I'd go back on the seller for the carnage. Some people sell pure junk on ebay hoping not get caught.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Why not just restor it to how it was modified way back when? It'd be a period correct "restomod"
              I build Pipers

Comment

I have one of these 750s and am a bit stalled in getting going again. I rotated the engine with the cam chain tensioner off the bike and jumped a couple of teeth on the timing chain. Mean while I've acquired a couple of more bikes that run and need room. Welcome from another Cali Native!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice bike. I thought those were the wrong carbs on that bike. I definitely like the look of the bike.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I may be interested in the carbs depending on the price, though I would have much preferred to rebuild them myself, and would still probably tear them completely back down unless you have experience rebuilding smoothbores. Those jet blocks are fragile, and jet blocks gaskets as well. VM29 smoothbore jet block gaskets are also pretty rare at times, and don't fare well when ultrasonic cleaning or chem dipping the carbs with the jet blocks still installed, removing them is a must for full submersion cleaning, at which point they may get ruined just from removal and regardless you are best off replacing with new (or NOS) anyway.

Before you throw them up on ebay, let me know what you would like to get without having to pay ebay listing fees and commissions and paypal fees

Thanks,

Chuck
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                      I may be interested in the carbs depending on the price, though I would have much preferred to rebuild them myself, and would still probably tear them completely back down unless you have experience rebuilding smoothbores. Those jet blocks are fragile, and jet blocks gaskets as well. VM29 smoothbore jet block gaskets are also pretty rare at times, and don't fare well when ultrasonic cleaning or chem dipping the carbs with the jet blocks still installed, removing them is a must for full submersion cleaning, at which point they may get ruined just from removal and regardless you are best off replacing with new (or NOS) anyway.

Before you throw them up on ebay, let me know what you would like to get without having to pay ebay listing fees and commissions and paypal fees

Thanks,

Chuck
                      Jet Block gaskets are $2.64 each at Z1.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Jet Block gaskets are $2.64 each at Z1.
                        The last time I tried to get some, I had to wait SIX WEEKS to get 3 jet block gaskets!
                        Z1 sometimes has reproduction jet blocks as well, but they are custom-made just for them I believe. Redline Cycle Service is the other place that sells hard to get vm29 smoothbore parts.
                        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Hey, thanks guys. I can tell it's gonna be a great being a part of the community; looking forwards to getting insight from you guys.

In regards to the VM29s, and the current configuration of the bike, my plan is to restore it to stock as it is a design that really appeals to me. Of course, some parts are missing and will not be able to be be completely stock, but hey, I'm not a purist. The main two things I don't have and don't seem worth getting originals are the airbox and the gauge cluster. So I'll be using pods and probably some kind of a modern gauge. Not a huge deal. I'm definitely going to part with the VM29s as I'm not interested in any extra performance and I think someone else could make better usage of them. Chuck, I will send you a PM regarding them.

Good news on the carbs is they're cleaning up nicely. It's too bad 3 out of 4 are basically useless. Hopefully the replacements pan out. Will definitely send the eBay seller a message about them.

About all I've gotten to in the past couple days. Hoping to get back to tearing it down tomorrow.
                          1981 Yamaha XS400H
                          1983 Suzuki GS750E (WIP)

Comment

Well, I have had a bit of a busy couple months with my last couple months at work before leaving to start back at school. Have been slowly working on the bike and getting the parts and tools needed, so should be pretty quick from here. Only thing that's gonna slow me down is getting things painted, as its still pretty cold and humid up here, but spring is definitely on its way.

Waiting on a new set of carbs to replace a couple of the broken ones and then I'll be done with those. If anyone has recommendations on jetting for a 1983 GS750 with pods, I would be appreciative, atleast a good starting point.

Got everything separated out and managed to gracefully (okay, not really) get the engine out of the frame. Going to start taking the frame down to metal this week to get it ready for powder coating, along with the triple tree.

Planning on soda blasting most of the engine exterior as well as the cylinder head (lots of carbon built up), have cleaned up as much as I can until I start that process.

Bores look good and are within spec, as well as the pistons, so will hone bores and replace piston rings.

Finally found a new gasket kit on eBay after looking everywhere for one. Well, I had found on before, but when ordered and not shipped for 2 weeks, I inquired and it turned out they didn't have it at all. Hmm, maybe it shouldn't be listed in stock then. Ah well.

Have the calipers taken apart and removed as much paint as I could. I took this picture before I actually took the allen bolts out (had to use a breaker bar and vice to knock them loose, they did not want to budge). Not sure if I need to really soda blast these, I think I can rough them up with sand paper before painting just fine.

That's about where I'm at right now. If anyone has any input or advice I am all ears. Definitely looking forwards to getting this moving forward at a quicker pace. Maybe even get it rolling before spring is over.

Cheers.
                            1981 Yamaha XS400H
                            1983 Suzuki GS750E (WIP)

Comment

Slowly but surely making progress. Spring keeps teasing with warm weather here and there, so I haven't gotten to painting parts yet. Once I do, I can get the engine back together and into the frame and then start focusing on the rest of the bike. Doing as much research as I can right now, shouldn't have too much left I need to figure out. The Service Manual is a god send, everything is pretty well explained.

Getting almost all the parts ready for paint. Still have a few more to mask off and a little bit of sanding. I'll wipe everything down with Duplicolor grease and wax remover before painting.

Took the frame down to bare metal almost all over. Have a bit more left that I'll probably have to hit with sand paper as it's hard to get the angle grinder in there. I'm not sure if I should maybe hit the frame with some kind of a rust stopper or something before priming. Anyone know if that's a good idea?

Got the forks taken apart, waiting on new straight rate springs from Sonic and anti-dive bypass plates from FastFromThePast. I considered RaceTech emulators but that's a bit out of the budget, maybe an upgrade for next year. I'm just going to clean up the fork outer tubes instead of painting, the original finish is still in very good shape.

Latest issue I'm facing is the rear master cylinder. I took it apart in an effort to rebuild it, but it seems water got into the boot and rusted it pretty good. The piston is stuck pretty far in, tried tapping it in with some heat applied to get it to loosen and it just went further and wont come unstuck. Tried compressed air and still nothing.

The bore that I can see looks pretty ugly, though maybe it can clean up, but at this point I'm thinking of just getting a new one. I can of course get a new OEM one for 160 or so, but that's a little steep. I see a lot of 14mm cheap ones on eBay, but the mounting hole clearance is 45mm, I need 40mm. Could probably make it work. Does anyone know of a direct bolt on 14mm master cylinder I can use, maybe from another bike?
                              1981 Yamaha XS400H
                              1983 Suzuki GS750E (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X