Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 newbie in SLC

Hi everyone,
    I am thrilled to see the treasure trove of info and wisdom here. I'm currently working on a 1979 GS1000:

fullsizeoutput_863.jpg

I'm new to motorcycling. The short, short story: I grew up with a father who was severely disabled from a motorcycle accident. "Motorcycle" was a bad word in our family my whole life. A few years ago, I had and experience with my Dad where I saw that he had no resentment or no fear of motorcycles even though his whole life had been altered by one. From that point on I knew I'd take up the sport, myself. It's happened, and I've never been happier.

This bike doesn't need a ton of work to get up and running. I've been tempted to do a lot of modifications on it; the more I think about it, the more I want to honor it's era and keep it stock for the most part.

I'll have several noob questions for you all over the next month or so while I wrench on this beauty. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

best -
    Paul Duane

Welcome Paul! Folks here can be pretty helpful.....
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to the site, Paul.
      "i want to honor its era and keep it stock for the most part"....good plan.
      That's why you need two, the second one gets the mods.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

Looks like the bike is fairly stock. Has been painted over.

Thanks for sharing your family story. Do tell us more of your adventure of getting the bike. And post more pics.
        (And pictures of the right side of the bike, just to annoy those of us that have been missing our kick start for decades).

Do post any questions. Will get better responses if post such in appropriate technical section.

Last edited by Redman; 01-06-2018, 10:15 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome! Looks like a solid bike and a good starting point for your education.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the forum from another GS1000 owner. They are great old bikes aren't they? Living where I do, I only usually put about 12K per year on my bikes and this year my 1000E got 7,000 of those 12K miles.

SLC should have some nice crooked roads to enjoy. Good luck with getting familiar with yours. Also, more pics of your new addition.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Hey! New here too from Riverdale. Might be buying one off ksl this Friday!mine will have a lot of work though. Hoping to have it road ready by mid summer at least though. If I get it that is.

Comment

Welcome! My grandfather was a Pennsylvania motorcycle cop that was killed on his bike in 1930. My dad (his son) was never real fond of me getting one.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Welcome Paul, very nice motorcycle you have there. I have one very similar, a few of us on the forum do too. You will find the 1000e to be a wonderful machine. Capable of adapting to anyone's riding style. Also easy to work on.👍 SLC, I have cousins that live there...
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Welcome Paul, your 79 looks pretty complete

If you didn't notice the greeting at the top of the forum,go here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ers-CLICK-HERE!!

and find out just about everything you may need to get your bike up and running properly before springtime, plus how to post big pictures. We love pictures. You can document your refurb in the Projects thread

I'd suggest checking the tire date code and upgrading the front fork springs (yes, I can tell that from your tiny photo) for starters
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X