Daytona Bike Week 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daytona Bike Week 2018

So I'm going down this year to check out the scene for a day or two then meeting up with some MC buddies down there to travel around Southern Florida and hit Key West.
    Unsure if anyone is around that week but if you want to meet up for a lunch or maybe rack a couple miles let me know. I'll be based out of Port Orange from 3-8 to 3-11, Fort Lauderdale area 3-12 to 3-14 then back at Port orange till 3-16 in which I'll load the truck up and head back to Vermont.
    Mainly going to check the scene out for I've never been and to say that I have. I also want to ride out to Key West on my motorcycle... Bucket list thing.
    Maybe I'll see some GSR folks while I'm down there...
    Best,
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

The ride to Key West is very nice, Key West itself, not so much. If you plan on doing it in a day it is going to be a long day. Not a bad thing, just letting you know it will probably take some time. The Everglades are well worth a visit also.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDad View Post
      The ride to Key West is very nice, Key West itself, not so much. If you plan on doing it in a day it is going to be a long day. Not a bad thing, just letting you know it will probably take some time. The Everglades are well worth a visit also.
      Here's the trip planned for out Key West ride.

We will get started around 7AM and be back in Coral Springs for a beer or two around super time.

I just want to do it to say I've done it... I think it will be a cool experience!
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

For you keys trip; keep in mind that almost all that south of the mainland is 35-45mph.
        We had a day trip from key largo to key west. Got a late start in morning and made some stops on way down. When got there had to head back quickly to make it in time to return the rental bike.
        Last edited by Redman; 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'll have my own bike but thanks for the heads up!
          My guides(buddies) are locals and do the run quite often. We are planning a whole day to ride out and back
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

My cousin lives in Homestead. We left his place at 9:00 AM and got back just before 9:00 PM. As stated speed limit is 35 to 45, BUT that doesn't include sightseers doing 25 and not many chances to pass them as the road is two lane and can be pretty busy. If you are going to spend much time checking things out, which you should, getting back by suppertime may not be in the cards. Go and enjoy the scenery and the weather, just don't make any early reservations for supper I have made the ride twice and there won't be a third, but I would like to see the Everglades again.

Comment

Bike Week is mostly a Harley fest, but if you're bringing the XR you'll almost fit in. Try to make some reservations for new model bike test rides at the speedway. It's also a great opportunity for the local badges to fill their ticket quotas so no shenanigans around Daytona. The riding in the Miami area will suck if you are anywhere around there during rush hour. I haven't been to the keys since the 80s, but I would still suggest to try and make that part of your trip during the week and not on a weekend.

I'm guessing you already have hotel reservations? If not you may be up the creek finding a room. Bike Week has been building back up and may be hard to get a place. Port Orange is where I used to do a lot of fishing in the inter-coastal. Visit Our Deck Down Under while you're there and eat lunch or dinner by the water and get a shirt while you're there. There is also a fishing pier right there at the restaurant where I've caught quite a few fish over the years. Maybe we can hook up for lunch or dinner on a Sunday or Monday my days off.

Warning, there are a lot of bike thieves that also show up for the event. I would recommend getting a lock with an alarm.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks for the 2 cents Rick!
                I will be staying with family in a gated housing development while I'm in the Daytona area. I do have a brake lock but maybe I'll grab one of those rotor alarm locks as well. I will be traveling to southern Florida near the Ft Laurderdale area to ride with my buddies from Amen-moto https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI3...a0T1ipZFmQdl5w. We plan to ride to the Keys all day on a Tuesday. Reservations are in.
                I'm not looking to fit in. I don't fit in anywhere anyway. I honestly will only check the "Bike week" out for a day and then I'm planning big rides all over the states with allot of my non Harley riding buddies. It will be a good excuse to jump start my 2018 season!
                I would love to meet up! Sunday would likely be the best for I will be riding south to Corral Springs Monday AM.
                Thanks!
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Bike week never drew my interest. 100% of the reason is the childish acting so called "adults" that are associated with the Harley brand. Those and the gutless bunch of puzzzies that somehow magically grow a pair and suddenly are superior to anyone else on a bike of another brand after they buy a HEARDLY.. F*(^&ck Harley Davidson.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Couple of years ago I was on my way to Baltimore. I get to the Pennsylvania Turnpike toll booth, the guy said to me "Aren't you going the wrong way, Sturgis is the other way" I told him, "I'm trying to get as far away from Sturgis as possible!
                    Daytona Bike Week, at least there is warm weather and good racing going on. 👍
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Bike week never drew my interest. 100% of the reason is the childish acting so called "adults" that are associated with the Harley brand. Those and the gutless bunch of puzzzies that somehow magically grow a pair and suddenly are superior to anyone else on a bike of another brand after they buy a HEARDLY.. F*(^&ck Harley Davidson.
                      Grouping every Harley rider into one derogatory category is damn ridiculous, foolish, and outright stupidity. And some of you wonder why the same is done to you. I sincerely hope you grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Couple of years ago I was on my way to Baltimore. I get to the Pennsylvania Turnpike toll booth, the guy said to me "Aren't you going the wrong way, Sturgis is the other way" I told him, "I'm trying to get as far away from Sturgis as possible!
                        Daytona Bike Week, at least there is warm weather and good racing going on. 
                        Sturgis has warm weather, much, much, much better riding, free concerts, and a lot more. It's a lot of fun and a place I get to visit friends and relatives. Have you ever been there?

Comment

See here...I DID grow up...That's why I refuse to hang or be associated with the crowds that haven't..or doubtfully ever will..grow up.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by swanny View Post
                            Sturgis has warm weather, much, much, much better riding, free concerts, and a lot more. It's a lot of fun and a place I get to visit friends and relatives. Have you ever been there?
                            NOPE, None of my friends or family would ever dream about going to Sturgis... You see we aren't the Harley type of people, there would be nothing at Sturgis that would interest me. If I want to people watch, I'll go to Wal-Mart. I only have so much vacation time and vacation dollars. I'd rather ride to a destination that me and my motorcycle has never been to. I'm not knocking the Sturgis rally, just not my cup of tea...
                            Like I said at least Daytona Bike Week has some quality racing.☺
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              NOPE, None of my friends or family would ever dream about going to Sturgis... You see we aren't the Harley type of people, there would be nothing at Sturgis that would interest me. If I want to people watch, I'll go to Wal-Mart. I only have so much vacation time and vacation dollars. I'd rather ride to a destination that me and my motorcycle has never been to. I'm not knocking the Sturgis rally, just not my cup of tea...
                              Like I said at least Daytona Bike Week has some quality racing.☺
                              Harley type of people - lol. Some of the best roads in the country, better than most in Colorado and I live there. I encourage you to stay away with such a judgmental attitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X