No announcement yet.

Daytona Bike Week 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys mind taking it to the Vortex?, As a newer rider(than most senior GSR members) i only seek new experiences in riding these (new to me) parts of the country. As an active senior GSR member for 9 years now, I am only looking to connect with other GSR members while I get out of the snow locked hell hole Vermont is in early March to jump start my season in pursuit of a 30K mile season...

I'm taking this trip mainly to ride with friends (most of which don't ride Harleys) and say that I've gone. Only interested in meeting other GSR members if they are around. Hence the generation of this thread. Not to open debate about Harleys, which I own because I like the bike... Not the "lifestyle". Those of who know me (or want to know me) know I'm not brand loyal and put big miles down every year... Clearly everyone knows where my loyalties lie... I've been on this forum for nearly a decade now.

My goal this year is to meet as many GSR folks as possible across the country... This thread is testament to that objective.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jedz123; 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Sorry Jedz, I tried to keep a Daytona Bike Week theme... I wasn't Harley bashing, just trying to compare the two rallies. I'm sure you will have a great time in Florida. 👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        Sorry Jedz, I tried to keep a Daytona Bike Week theme... I wasn't Harley bashing, just trying to compare the two rallies. I'm sure you will have a great time in Florida. 
        Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but this thread was purely made to make some connections with any GSR members that reside in the area and would like to rack a couple miles or grab some grub and I'm cool with positive talks about comparing the rallies.

Not Cool with flat out bigotry and argumentative discussion...
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but this thread was purely made to make some connections with any GSR members that reside in the area and would like to rack a couple miles or grab some grub and I'm cool with positive talks about comparing the rallies.

Not Cool with flat out bigotry and argumentative discussion...
          Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, I do take exception to riders categorizing other riders into large monolithic groups. That goes for Harley riders bashing UJM riders also. There is no one set of characteristics for any of us. I see guys and gals riding Harleys that wear business suits during the week, just as those riding UJM's. We should all enjoy the sport we love without prejudice. We get that enough from the rest of the world.

As for positive comparisons of the rallies, I've never been to Daytona so I can not relay any data. I have been to Sturgis several times as it's only 500 miles from me and I ride there.

Sturgis has some of the best roads in the country. The Black Hills are big if you live in the Midwest, but I live in Colorado and they are the perfect size for nice twisty sections, beautiful canyons, streams, lakes, and grade changes. Most of the roads are not suitable for quick riding, and with the number of motorcycles on them at one time is not advisable.

There are plenty of roadside taverns where you can stop to have a bite to eat and a brew if you so chose. Sit outside and enjoy the beauty and outstanding weather that time of year.

The locals are friendly and the riders are there for the same reason as you - have a good time. I've never had a problem with anyone.

The only issue that I've ever heard about was when my brother attended the 75th. I didn't go, but I heard it was too crowded - about double the normal rally size.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by swanny View Post
            Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, I do take exception to riders categorizing other riders into large monolithic groups. That goes for Harley riders bashing UJM riders also. There is no one set of characteristics for any of us. I see guys and gals riding Harleys that wear business suits during the week, just as those riding UJM's. We should all enjoy the sport we love without prejudice. We get that enough from the rest of the world.
            Totally concur, let's keep the bigotry and disagreements in the basement (Vortex). Looking for Zen in these threads. Agree we need to stand united in our dying motorsport.

FYI Swanny, Welcome to GSR!!!
            Last edited by Jedz123; 01-17-2018, 10:22 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Jed,

are you going to see any of the racing?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Jed,

are you going to see any of the racing?
                Well I'll only have 1 or 2 days partitioned for "Daytona" . I believe the races start the last Friday of bike week, which is when I'm loading up and heading back to Vermont for work on Monday. Not sure when they are for the calendar on the site doesn't seem to be working...

Currently my agenda is looking quite full with riding all over the state to meet up with folks and throw some decent miles down. Good chance I'll be riding some big days Thursday thru Friday (8th thru the 16th) for each day the trips I planned range from 300 to 500 miles.

I know one buddy is going for the races and asked me to join Friday to camp over the weekend but I'll be heading back up to Vermont at that point.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by swanny View Post
                  Grouping every Harley rider into one derogatory category is damn ridiculous, foolish, and outright stupidity.
                  Along that same line of thinking, I have heard that it's only 98.7% of the lawyers that give the rest of them a bad name.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Whats the difference between a lawyer and a Carp??

Ones a bottom feeder and the other one is a fish.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Around here, the cemeteries bury lawyers 30 feet.

Because deep down, they're not so bad.

Comment

What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Ans: a good start
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA AWESOME!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

...so back on track...
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

well, if you're gonna go to daytona, let us know if what we've heard about the numerous bikinis is true. (with pictures)
                              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                                well, if you're gonna go to daytona, let us know if what we've heard about the numerous bikinis is true. (with pictures)
                                Challenge accepted!
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X