No announcement yet.

Removing starter, GS400EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armature pretty bad also. Cleaned up with 1500 grit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM. Reason: Explanation

Comment

Had to order up a new brush plate.
      How much$ for the brush plate? I have a worn one too but I've not yet gone for the whole plate figuring I'd really just like to replace the brushes though indeed they are a little tricky in these particular starters and I can see why you'd go for the set.....
      Armature pretty bad also
      you mean commutator worn? or armature thrashed? the latter would be labour intensive for sure -I can sometimes get away with resurfacing commutator but I guess at some point a whole new starter is the way to go...

Comment

The brush backing plate has another brush permanently attached. The parts diagram wasn’t very clear thus I missed it. Can’t replace one and not the other.

The armature cleaned up nicely with 1500 grit cut to the width of the armature. This avoids damaging the seal which is back ordered anyway. Brush plate was $41.00 US. New starter is over $400 US.

Usually I disassemble before ordering but family issues has me diverted on occasion.

Comment

Roger that. $41 is about the norm.. meanwhile I got "excited" (subtle electric joke) and found these brushes

(20 Canadian$) https://www.ebay.ca/itm/263426472231 ...haven't pulled trigger as I'll have to dig that plate out and see if it's worth it...I recall that there's little tabs that would need to be unbent to install these wire ends?? and possibly would break 'em...

Comment

Save yourself the headache and order the plate not to mention cut fingers prying on the tabs.

Comment

Save yourself the work and order one up.

Comment

OK, rebuilt the starter. I must admit, it was quite the job. The brush plate has to line up to allow the long bolts to pass thru it. Magnet doesn’t help.

Installed the tensioner and adjusted.

Hooked everything up and no go. Starter is mounted correctly allowing the bolts to line up. Starter just spins, does not turn engine over. Stumped for now, need to step away until tomorrow.

Any ideas? TIA.

Comment

Is it spinning the right way? Dont know if you can wire it so it does but hey Im just asking. The starter clutch will only engage the crank going in one direction so IF, by any chance, its turning wrong the clutch wont engage.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck,

I read your post a half hour ago and it got me thinking. Starter is pretty straight forward. I even bench tested but for the life of me it sounds like it might be spinning backwards. How? I asked myself.

Well, if the armature casing is on backwards what would it do? Spin backwards. Thoughts? Everything else is straight forward.

Only thing that makes sense. Boy, it was a lot of work to do over. Live and learn, even at my age.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Before you rip it open, the starter clutch engages when it is turned counter clockwise. SO, the idler gear has to turn clockwise..which in turn means the splines on the starter motor have to turn counter clockwise if your looking at the shaft end of the starter motor.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Agreed. Since a starter is DC only if the armature case was put on backwards it makes sense the motor would spin in the wrong direction. I remember the position of the case but might have installed it wrong. I was multitasking at the time.

Apart it comes. I’ll check rotation before disassembled.

Comment

Starter spins CCW.

Gear inside case using finger spins freely CW. Does not spin CCW.

Starter should spin CW not CCW. Armature case must be reversed. I’m a gonna take a look see.

Comment

Yes as far as I recall it should be counter clockwise looking at the front end. If it spins CCW it will turn the idler gear CW.. which in turn should spin the starter clutch CCW and engage the crank.

Comment

Armature case reversed, still spins CCW. This should be correct because the start gear in the case needs to spin CCW.

Im actually stumped. Only other thing changed is the starter solenoid which either works or it doesn’t.

Comment

Well then short across the starter selinoid posts with a creating a direct hot to the starter. If that works replace the nstarter selinoid.

Comment

Working...
                                X