GS550 rejetting beginnger advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 rejetting beginnger advice

I have a 78' GS550 with the carbs off due to a blown cam chain tensioner gasket. I figured with the carbs off and it being winter, I'd try to take on installing K&M pod filters and rejetting it. I have the original VM22SS carbs and stock pipes. My thinking was to install K&M filters and rejet, but I also would like to find a new exhaust system (4-to-2, or 4-to-1 if I can find any) in the new future as well.

Question is; would it be easier to rejet for the carbs, and enjoy the summer riding. Then come fall, rejet for a new exhaust? Or should I rejet the carbs for both new filters and exhaust at the same time (seems more difficult). I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Thoughts?

The question you really need to ask is "How many times do you want to rejet?"

The smart answer is ZERO. Just leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

If you still insist on changing things that force re-jetting, how many times do you want to do that?

By the way, they are K&N filters, not K&M.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you still have the stock airbox? If so, re-install and enjoy.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The question you really need to ask is "How many times do you want to rejet?"

The smart answer is ZERO. Just leave it alone and enjoy the ride.

If you still insist on changing things that force re-jetting, how many times do you want to do that?

By the way, they are K&N filters, not K&M.

I’m sure I’m better of not touching it, but if I were to take that plunge.... Anyways....I’d like to eliminate the stock air box and filter, so that’s the main reason, and maybe this is ambutious but it’ll get me to learn about carbs more. If all else fails and my patience runs out. I’ll just go back to full stock

Comment

You only want to rejet once so you should install the pods and pipe together.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            I found a few links/forums that discuss about how many jet sizes you need to go up/down with for new pods and pipes. But thought it’d be too drastic of a change to make adjustments to. I figured it’d be easier to rejet one modification then rejet again for the second modifications.

The bike starts and runs perfect now, I’m worried if I rejet for both pods and pipes, my fuel/air mixture will be so off it won’t start,, and I won’t know which direction of jet sizes to go in to fix the issue.

Comment

Direction is easy -up

How far up is the question

Just ride the bike as is, so you can actually enjoy it for a while

Then, make this decision next fall
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by TyeGuy
                (...)Question is; would it be easier to rejet for the carbs, and enjoy the summer riding. Then come fall, rejet for a new exhaust? Or should I rejet the carbs for both new filters and exhaust at the same time (seems more difficult). I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
                Answer:

Originally posted by TyeGuy View Post
                (...)

The bike starts and runs perfect now, (...)
                Don't f$ck!ng touch it and enjoy summer riding instead.

On a GS550, you'll want to manhandle the airbox or carbs as few times as possible, it's a royal PITA to get out/in. Add the iterative process of rejetting, and you have the recipe for much frustration.

It's involved, it's tedious, it requires a lot of spare time and energy.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot. You're free to, but we've warned you.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                  Let me fix that for you.
                  Unless you are a masochist, you don't want to rejet AT ALL.

Originally posted by TyeGuy View Post
                  I found a few links/forums that discuss about how many jet sizes you need to go up/down with for new pods and pipes. But thought it’d be too drastic of a change to make adjustments to. I figured it’d be easier to rejet one modification then rejet again for the second modifications.

The bike starts and runs perfect now, I’m worried if I rejet for both pods and pipes, my fuel/air mixture will be so off it won’t start,, and I won’t know which direction of jet sizes to go in to fix the issue.
                  Have you read any of the horror stories about rejetting? Almost NEVER do you hear of anyone saying " I just slapped in the new jets and the bike ran PERFECTLY." Rejetting is usually a tedious process of installing the new jets, testing. Making an adjustment, testing. Making another adjustment, testing. Maybe change another jet size, testing. Making another adjustment, testing. After you think you have it perfect, the weather is going to change and you will find that your "perfect" jetting isn't quite right when it gets ten degrees warmer.

Then you put the pipe on and have the "pleasure" of doing it all over.

As far as not having the bike start: if you get to that point, you are not jetting correctly. There are four distinct jetting circuits inside the carb. The starting and idling (pilot) circuits are not usually changed. Your bike should start and idle just as well as it does now. The circuits that need to be changed are the needle and main, which control fuel flow at mid- and full-throttle. They need to be changed because you have removed the airbox and the restriction it imposes. At low airflow speeds, typical of starting and idling, the airbox is not a restriction at all, so does not require any rejetting.

It's your bike. You know your tolerance level. You are the one that will have to decide how many times you want to do this.

To make things a bit more interesting, I just noticed your location. You are going to have to travel a bit to do the testing that is necessary when rejetting. You will need to do a few specific runs at mid- and full-throttle, neither of which you will be able to accomplish within the confines of NYC.

Good luck.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                    Answer:

Don't f$ck!ng touch it and enjoy summer riding instead.

On a GS550, you'll want to manhandle the airbox or carbs as few times as possible, it's a royal PITA to get out/in. Add the iterative process of rejetting, and you have the recipe for much frustration.

It's involved, it's tedious, it requires a lot of spare time and energy.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot. You're free to, but we've warned you.

I knew taking out the carbs was going to be a bitch, and I experienced it first hand. But if I remove the airbox and filter and move my electronics else, I'll get more room to put in/take out carbs. At least, I'm assuming it would create more room.

Comment

Yes, you will have more room, but that does not remove the fact that you will likely have the carbs in and out a dozen times or more.

Have fun.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes, you will have more room, but that does not remove the fact that you will likely have the carbs in and out a dozen times or more.

Have fun.

And not to mention you will probably strip a screw or two on the float bowls by the time you get "close" with the re-jetting
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Let me fix that for you.

Have you read any of the horror stories about rejetting? Almost NEVER do you hear of anyone saying " I just slapped in the new jets and the bike ran PERFECTLY." Rejetting is usually a tedious process of installing the new jets, testing. Making an adjustment, testing. Making another adjustment, testing. Maybe change another jet size, testing. Making another adjustment, testing. After you think you have it perfect, the weather is going to change and you will find that your "perfect" jetting isn't quite right when it gets ten degrees warmer.

As far as not having the bike start: if you get to that point, you are not jetting correctly. There are four distinct jetting circuits inside the carb. The starting and idling (pilot) circuits are not usually changed. Your bike should start and idle just as well as it does now. The circuits that need to be changed are the needle and main, which control fuel flow at mid- and full-throttle. They need to be changed because you have removed the airbox and the restriction it imposes. At low airflow speeds, typical of starting and idling, the airbox is not a restriction at all, so does not require any rejetting.

It's your bike. You know your tolerance level. You are the one that will have to decide how many times you want to do this.

To make things a bit more interesting, I just noticed your location. You are going to have to travel a bit to do the testing that is necessary when rejetting. You will need to do a few specific runs at mid- and full-throttle, neither of which you will be able to accomplish within the confines of NYC.

Good luck.

I just slapped in new jets and it ran perfectly. Well, and the rest of the DynoJet kit too. Really. It did....
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Well, I did say "almost never".

A Dynojet kit gets you pretty close.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Let me fix that for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info about the circuits. I live in Brooklyn and there are some spots where you can open up for a while. I understand what you're saying, but its not like manhattan city blocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X