Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you switch away from pods without going broke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you switch away from pods without going broke?

My GS850GL came with pods. Cheap ones... Since I am rebuilding I am rebuilding it with what it had and once running will make changes. Like I mentioned the pods are cheap ones and probably beyond use. How can I get the bike running and tuned without buying a 150$ set especially when my hope is to move it back to an original airbox? I know I should get the carbs synched with what I have then once it is good, make the change which would include new jets. I don't want to introduce variables during the rebuild.

Set your jets back to stock while rebuilding and put the original air box in.

Link to table of stock jets:

-Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

You should be able to pick up used original airbox and all the bits you need to get it back to standard from ebay. I bet it will work out cheaper than a set of k and N pods. All the cafe racers will be taking their air boxes off!! So should be some available.

Comment

If the rubbers here are decent, this seems like a good economical part for your plans..

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          If the rubbers here are decent, this seems like a good economical part for your plans..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM1980-83-...UAAOSwjIVaXnpx
          That listing is ended, but I have a problem with the description. It was for "1980-83 GS850G/GL".

The '80/'81 boxes are different than the '82/'83 boxes and are not necessarily interchangable.

Fortunately, it showed the chrome covers on the sides, which identifies it as the newer box.

I hope jdion is the one that got it.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did buy it. I was wondering the same thing, but the chrome covers looked to be the right shape for the 82.

Comment

Nice find. Don't forget to add the weather strip around the outside edges, under the end caps. Just cut it with scissors and stick it all around the inside of the end caps so it squishes against the airbox.

Even if the rubbers are shot, they're not too expensive for new ones.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

You may still want to get new boots. Fortunately, they are MUCH cheaper than the boots from the carbs to the head.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, I probably need those too. Mine are a little flexible. It takes some squeezing to get them to flex.

By the way, Tom, Thank you for the link!

Comment

Also after all the bolt on work, you'll need to sync the carbs yourself. Because you'll never find a competent wrench jockey.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't have to change anything in the carbs. I believe they still have stock jets installed. I know the pilot jets are definitely #40, I am going to check the main jets when I go to lunch today. I love it.

This is testament to not trusting everything to a shop... I bought the bike from the local mom pop shop that I used to trust all my bike work to. I was told that the valves were adjusted and carbs gone through when I bought the bike. I didn't know much then and didn't think too much of the pod filters installed. I did ask about the foam sleeves they had over them. Was told it was that without them the engine would get too much air. OK. I didn't know any better. Thinking back I should have stopped the sale. There was rtv on the carb boots and the pods were a give away to the type of maintenance done on this bike. It looked pretty good and ran pretty good.

I did have this issue where after about 45 minutes on the highway it would seem to suddenly and completely loose power. It would idle, but not be able to pull itself down the road. I would have to sit on the shoulder of the highway for 15 minutes for it to cool then I could get on down the road.

Now I know.

Comment

I had a similar issue that turned out to be an improper fuel line that would collapse and starve fuel. Stock main jets would cause a lean condition that would overheat the motor severely in stop and go traffic situations, cause spitting through the carburetors, detonation and a loss of power at highway speeds that you could temporarily cure by rolling off the throttle and back on. I hope the issue is simple and the shop was not that incompetent, though cheap pods may indicate they were.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Actually, I think I would up the jets one step, these bikes came from the factory pretty damn lean as it is.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X