1980 GS1100E Seat Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100E Seat Trim

Does anyone know the part numbers associated with the 1980-81 GS1100E seat trim? Most of the photos I find on the web show that the seat trim was a common if not standard feature on these bikes, yet the Suzuki parts fiche does not show it. I'd like to remove the trim to re-cover (or at least clean up) my seat, but I think I'll need to replace the trim fasteners for re-installation. I'd like to order these fastners, but they're not in the parts catalogs... Anyone dealt with this?

Hi if I understand your post this may be of interest. https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850g-.../#.WnTN6dGnyhA

the actual seat page is for a 1981 gs850x https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850g-...6.html#results. Nut is item 10

the pins (for a better word) that are moulded on the trim broke off on my trim so I scratched the surface where they fitted and glued 4mm or 5mm stainless countersunk screws on the trim secured through seat by nuts.
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-02-2018, 05:04 PM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Thanks for the info, but the 850 is not quite the same. I haven't pulled the trim off yet, but I believe the hardware is a type of stud with a flat head and corrugated shank that slides in a channel of the trim. The shank then pushes through the seat pan and is held in place with a push nut. My RD400 and RD350 have something similar...they look like this. Just hoping to find the proper Suzuki parts.

Snap1.jpg

Comment

Pic of the push nut.

I just checked the parts fiche for the Yamahas, and maybe not surprisingly they don't show the trim mounting hardware either...???

Snap2.jpg

Comment

Is this what you are looking for? #3 or #8 https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...cover-gs1100et If so, they are available, just ordered one.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I super appreciate your continued help, but I don't think I'm doing a very good job of describing what I'm looking for. Here's a picture of my seat with the trim indicated:

Capture2.jpg

Comment

Here's a snapshot of the parts fiche. The trim isn't listed and I'd like to find the hardware to remove and then reinstall it. It uses the studs and push nuts, but I cannot find Suzuki part numbers for them.

Capture1.jpg

Comment

What I did on my 81' was grind the heads down on small machine screws and install a small washer and insert them through the slot in the molding and cut them to the length needed using a washer and nut on the other end with a drop of blue Loctite.
                78' GS1000EC
                79' GS850GN
                79' GS1000N
                79' GS1000EN
                81' GS1100EX

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000S View Post
                  What I did on my 81' was grind the heads down on small machine screws and install a small washer and insert them through the slot in the molding and cut them to the length needed using a washer and nut on the other end with a drop of blue Loctite.
                  That's what I had to do on my seat as well. Works just fine.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll give that a try.

Comment

I just found this thread! I am looking for a replacement piece of trim for the LEFT side of my 1980 GS1100E. As indicated above the fiche does not show that part, and as such Ihave looked in a couple of salvage yards to no avail. Apparently this part is as rare as rocking horse manure.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a new cover but don't want pull the old one off until I have the new piece of trim (if possible).
                      Thanks in advance for any direction.
                      Keith
                      Just an old guy trying to have a little fun with my toy.
                      1980 GS1100E

sigpic

Comment

barring a better answer closer to OEM which someone will have if you wait awhile ,
                        1st, I'm going to mention that if you look at 'trim" in an auto-parts place you may find a half-round chromy sticky-side that looks pretty good if you can discover a "best way" to sticking it to the vinyl seat...$20 risk in gluing if you don't mind that it's plastic covered plastic.
                        2nd, I'll mention that you might find better as real metal in autoparts or even for speedboats. ....scrapyards too if you don't have ten old cars beside your barn
                        3rd, cabinetry/counter edging at home depot or hardware stores. It used to be a fashion, to go with the cars and the miracle of plywood...I just know I've fingered similar there sometime in the last 50 years...

Comment

Working...
                        X