1150 Carbs on 82 1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Carbs on 82 1100E?

I have seen a number of people mention using the larger 1150 carbs on the 1100 engine. I am currently running pods and a Kerker 4-1 on my 1100E and it runs extremely well. For the people that have experience with this, does it provide a useful increase in power and (in your opinion) is it worth the effort to sort jetting and do it all again, considering I have mine running so well with the stock carbs? Another question that comes to mind is can I use the same APE pods on the 1150 carbs as I am using on my stock carbs? Having to buy a new set of pods significantly adds to the expense of the swap if it is necessary.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Yes, on ALL of your questions!
    Ray.

Comment

I have 1150 carbs on my 1100. It made a noticeable difference in performance once I had the jetting sorted, and no I don't remember what jetting I used. The motor even sounded different under max acceleration. Yes, you use the same pods.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Change the manifolds too. The 1150 ones are noticeably larger.... If you have stock cams Dynojet -3 kit gets you in the neighborhood.
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Yes, on ALL of your questions!
          Ray.
          Thanks, Ray. I know you have been there and done it many times. Anything to know about the swap? Throttle and choke cables hook right up?

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
          I have 1150 carbs on my 1100. It made a noticeable difference in performance once I had the jetting sorted, and no I don't remember what jetting I used. The motor even sounded different under max acceleration. Yes, you use the same pods.
          Did you go with a Dynojet kit? Were the stock needles adjustable? Were your carbs US or Kanuck spec?

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
          Change the manifolds too. The 1150 ones are noticeably larger.... If you have stock cams Dynojet -3 kit gets you in the neighborhood.
          Now there's something I never would have thought of. Yes, stock cams degreed to 106/108 lobe centers.

Thanks for the reply gentlemen,
          Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yes, I used the Dynojet kit. I believe the stock needles were adjustable. AFAIR, the carbs came from the U.S.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I didn't need to change the inlet manifolds or re-jet. There was a noticeable increase in mid range power.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat View Post
                I didn't need to change the inlet manifolds or re-jet. There was a noticeable increase in mid range power.
                As you can see there is a noticeable difference between the 1100 and the 1150 boots. Granted, it may not help but it sure can't hurt.
                sigpic
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260

Comment

I've never changed the boots when going from 1100 to 1150 carbs either & it won't even matter with a non ported head.
                  Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxkat View Post
                    Were you running the airbox or pods? I can't imagine not needing rejetting since I am running a Kerker 4-1 canister system and APE pods. I like that increased mid-range, lots of fun on the street.

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                    As you can see there is a noticeable difference between the 1100 and the 1150 boots. Granted, it may not help but it sure can't hurt.
                    Yes, the 1150 boot is bigger. But it still just goes over the same spigot on the cylinder head so that should be the choke point, shouldn't it? Unless the 1150 boot offers a smoother flow path or something that is worthwhile?

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I've never changed the boots when going from 1100 to 1150 carbs either & it won't even matter with a non ported head.
                    Ray.
                    The head is definitely stock and untouched. Any chance of this causing crank problems when everything is tuned up? It is a small crank motor.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Not at all.
                      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        I have seen a number of people mention using the larger 1150 carbs on the 1100 engine. I am currently running pods and a Kerker 4-1 on my 1100E and it runs extremely well. For the people that have experience with this, does it provide a useful increase in power and (in your opinion) is it worth the effort to sort jetting and do it all again, considering I have mine running so well with the stock carbs? Another question that comes to mind is can I use the same APE pods on the 1150 carbs as I am using on my stock carbs? Having to buy a new set of pods significantly adds to the expense of the swap if it is necessary.

Thanks,
                        Mark
                        Hey, sorry to bring up such an old thread, but didn't want to make a whole post about this. When I bought my bike the PO gave me an extra set of mikuni carbs that he said we're "a common upgrade" that's all I know about them. Before installing them however I want to know if that's true and if so, what carbs they are. The carbs are somewhat larger than the stock ones so I think they may be just that. Can you upload a picture of yours or perhaps give me a part number or other way to identify them?

Comment

Originally posted by 80s cars or gtfo View Post
                          Hey, sorry to bring up such an old thread, but didn't want to make a whole post about this. When I bought my bike the PO gave me an extra set of mikuni carbs that he said we're "a common upgrade" that's all I know about them. Before installing them however I want to know if that's true and if so, what carbs they are. The carbs are somewhat larger than the stock ones so I think they may be just that. Can you upload a picture of yours or perhaps give me a part number or other way to identify them?
                          I don't have a set of 1150 carbs yet to post a picture of. You should post a picture in the carbs/exhaust forum and ask for identification help there. I am sure one of the veterans will know exactly what you have on your hands.

Mark
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

1150 carbs have a stamped steel top cover with a dimple to hold the spring and the throat near the butterfly measures 36MM. They could also be VM smoothbores, they look totally different.
                            1150: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-suzuki...s/253549509903
                            Smoothbores: https://www.ebay.com/itm/29mm-Mikuni...S/173215275997

sigpic
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260

Comment

Working...
                            X