78 GS550 cam chain tensioner adjuster shaft oil seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 cam chain tensioner adjuster shaft oil seal

I am trying to locate and and fix a oil leak from my cam chain tensioner on my 78' GS550. I have been following these amazing cam chain tensioner instructions (which I forget where/how I found on here). The guy is working on a 79' GS850 but its similar enough and the instructions have been very helpful with removing the tensioner and explaining the steps to disassembling it.

I believe that my oil leak is coming from a warn oil seal of the adjuster shaft (step #8). The website list the oil seal as Suzuki Part No. 09284-10006 (AGO241F 13.11 NOK). However, the schematic for my 78' GS550 doesn't show a oil seal for that part, but my tensioner does have one (a AGO241F 10.43 NOK).

Is there much of a difference between the 13.11 and 10.43 NOK oil seal? I am worried if I take mine out, the
    Suzuki Part No. 09284-10006 won't fit properly on mine.

I don't know that much about the part number system, but as far as I know the seal has no variations. The suffix numbers may be just batch/date numbers.

Personally, I prefer to use a Honda seal - 91259-VMO-000 which fits many early Honda clutch actuation arms and some current ATVs. The stock seal is barely capable of sealing an unworn shaft, so the greater elasticity of the Honda part will allow some irregularities and shaft - it's pretty crude - deburr and cleanup. It's a mm deeper but that doesn't affect anything. I have had zero problems, while the OEMs used to leak early back in the 80's.

The last ones I bought were about $5. They're a recently updated part no and fresh rubber and seal perhaps better into the housing. As I recall, the lip rests a bit further in on the shaft so you're good for another few decades.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Yep, the extra numbers don't make a difference, and no one besides NOK knows what they might mean.

Good info on the Honda seal, Mr. Park!
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The Honda seal, while made for the same diameter shaft, needs to stretch more and may hang up a bit on the leading edge of the shaft by the threads. I file a bit of chamfer on this edge to make entry easier - plus a bit of KY jelly. Probably a good idea regardless of the seal type used.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
          I don't know that much about the part number system, but as far as I know the seal has no variations. The suffix numbers may be just batch/date numbers.

Personally, I prefer to use a Honda seal - 91259-VMO-000 which fits many early Honda clutch actuation arms and some current ATVs. The stock seal is barely capable of sealing an unworn shaft, so the greater elasticity of the Honda part will allow some irregularities and shaft - it's pretty crude - deburr and cleanup. It's a mm deeper but that doesn't affect anything. I have had zero problems, while the OEMs used to leak early back in the 80's.

The last ones I bought were about $5. They're a recently updated part no and fresh rubber and seal perhaps better into the housing. As I recall, the lip rests a bit further in on the shaft so you're good for another few decades.
          Good to know about the Honda seal John. Thanks! If this seal doesn't work for whatever reason, that'll be my next option.

Comment

Working...
          X