shim club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tpalmer1359 View Post
    Hi. I have 6 or 7 shims in the 2.7 to 2.9 range that I likely will never use. Happy to donate them
    I'm about to adjust the four intake clearances. I have a stockpile of seven (7) 29.5 shims, but if they don't fit the bill I'll be in contact.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Anyone have a true 2.6mm shim they want to exchange for cash or other size shims? I have several at 2.64, 2.7, and up.
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
        Anyone have a true 2.6mm shim they want to exchange for cash or other size shims? I have several at 2.64, 2.7, and up.
        i’ll mail a2.6 to you for free. PM your address.

Comment

Originally posted by Tpalmer1359 View Post
          i’ll mail a2.6 to you for free. PM your address.
          Thanks for the offer, but i'm now all set. I was buying some parts from another forum member who included a spare 2.6mm shim.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            Two questions, do these valves ever get to the point of no more necessary adjusting?
            If so, what mileage might that be?
            They definitely seem to slow down with regular use. You can easy get 20k miles + between top and bottom in my experience...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

20k??????? That sounds awful high for something that is suggested to be checked every 3-4k I believe it is.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

You're right of course but they don't put everything on top tolerance at the factory there will be one or two that are closer to minimum tolerance for sure..... In the early days (new engine) they also seem to move a bit quicker apparently.

You can easy get 12k between standard shim sizes in my experience.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Yes, it is. Contact Ray by sending a PM to ghostgs1.

That screenshot looks familiar, but you need the updated version.
                  Send me a PM to confirm your e-mail address, I will send it to you.

Originally posted by KWRider View Post
                  Hi steve,
                  have sent several PM to ghostgs1 to get started in the club with no response? We want to get valves done next week but need a source for shims.
                  Any ideas?
                  Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If you go to Ray's profile page, you will see that he last signed in to the board a couple of weeks ago. He also has an e-mail address listed, might check that.

If worse comes to worse, you can buy the shims you need (except for the "X" shims) at Z1 Enterprises. Shop carefully, make sure they are 29.5mm shims.

Send me a copy (via e-mail) of your spreadsheet page so I can verify that you will be getting the correct shims.

Originally posted by willie View Post
                  Does anyone know if the Shim Club is still in operation? I need (2) 2.60 shims for my '82 1100G and am hoping to avoid the online prices.
                  I also have tried contacting Ray, to no avail. On his profile page I don't see a email address. I sent him a PM over a month ago and also this morning.
                  I'll wait a few days more I guess to see if I get an answer.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X