Chain tool to avoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
    I do that if it's a bike that's easy to get the chain over the front sprocket. Some sport bikes you have to remove some of the side fairing, the shift rod and engine cover to get to the front sprocket, but when all you need to do is replace the chain, it make it easier if you can attach the new chain to the old one with the master link and pull it through.
    Instead of a master link so you can pull a new chain through using a piece of string or a small wire tie leaving a one tooth gap between the two ends. The new chain will pull through perfectly while skipping a tooth and the string pulling the other half of the chain.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Instead of a master link so you can pull a new chain through using a piece of string or a small wire tie leaving a one tooth gap between the two ends. The new chain will pull through perfectly while skipping a tooth and the string pulling the other half of the chain.
      I have done that with a small zip tie, but since I need to use the tool to press the rivet anyway, I just use the die grinder to take off the head and press the pins out. The only time I cut the chains now is when we get a bike that the chain is stiff from rust or if I have to also do the sprockets. It's all good, whatever works the best for the individual circumstance.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

cut the old chain off with a zip wheel
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I do that if it's a bike that's easy to get the chain over the front sprocket. Some sport bikes you have to remove some of the side fairing, the shift rod and engine cover to get to the front sprocket, but when all you need to do is replace the chain, it make it easier if you can attach the new chain to the old one with the master link and pull it through.
          You do it for a living so you need to be efficient. I think of chain and sprockets as a set and replace it all...
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
            You do it for a living so you need to be efficient. I think of chain and sprockets as a set and replace it all...
            +1 on that. I never put a new chain on old sprockets.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Grind it off at the rear sprocket while in gear. Hook up the new chain, put in neatral and pull it through as explained in this post. When its in gear it wont spin and lose the chain. Nice to know about the one turn method when using the flairing tool. I wondered about that myself. Before I bought the tool, I used a center punch to flair the rivet, but often wondered if I was doing it properly.
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
              X