Bikemaster Platinum II AGM Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bikemaster Platinum II AGM Battery

Ok, so I went atv riding last weekend and discovered the battery was dead in my atv. I put the trickle charger on it and it was ok, but after I got there it was dead again. I tried charging it but it wouldn't hold a charge. So I pulled the battery and found some cracks in the case. It was a little odd, but since its in an atv they are subject to allot of bouncing and vibration, so I ended up going to walmart and getting another battery.

Soooo... the weather has been great this week and I decided to start up m GS and ride I into work. I haven't started it in probably 2 months and of course the battery was nearly dead. I put the charger on it and it wouldn't hold more than 10.7 volts according to my smart charger. So I removed it and found the case was cracked in several places. We don't get really cold here so I cant imagine they froze (and the atv was in my garage all winter).

Here's what they both have in common.... they were both Bikemaster Platinum II AGM batteries size YB14 but they have the terminals on different sides.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

I worked in a dealership for 20 years. Use Yuasa brand batteries. Bikemaster, Wal-Mart etc. m/c batteries are JUNK. For your ATV get, I believe, a HYB14 battery. ATV batteries are heavier, heavy duty and better built for abuse. They can be used in bikes too. I typically get 6-7 years out of a properly set up and maintained Yuasa brand battery. You save no money if have to buy 2 cheap batteries to every 1 good one.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I use the Motobatt AGM batteries in both of our bikes and the only thing I did this winter was to connect the maintainer to them for about 8 hours each a week ago. Both bikes started up like a charm
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        I use the Motobatt AGM batteries in both of our bikes and the only thing I did this winter was to connect the maintainer to them for about 8 hours each a week ago. Both bikes started up like a charm
        Yep, I've had a couple of MotoBatt batteries, and they are indeed a cut above most other AGMs.

The gray case batteries made by Deka in the US are also excellent. They're sold under a few different brand names, like Big Crank. Look for the unusual solid block terminal:
        Check out the deal on USA-Made Big Crank™ ETX14L Battery at BatteryMart.com

I've also found these at Advance Auto under their brand name.

Yuasa batteries are US-made and high-quality according to almost everyone. That said, I've had quite a few problems with them, but perhaps my experiences have been unusual.

Other brands of AGM batteries are a very mixed bag. Sometimes you get a good one, and they can be a lot cheaper, but it's just not worth the hassle IMHO.

Unless you're completely desperate (you're stranded at a Walmart and the zombies are coming), old-fashioned acid-puking "wet" batteries are beneath consideration. Dangerous, disposable junk.
        Last edited by bwringer; 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

At my place in Tillamook, I haven't found a battery in stock for my GS yet. I've bought a couple from the O'Riley's and also from Les Schwab, which are both in town. They ship to the store in one day. So far, so good.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Yep, I've had a couple of MotoBatt batteries, and they are indeed a cut above most other AGMs.

The gray case batteries made by Deka in the US are also excellent. They're sold under a few different brand names, like Big Crank. Look for the unusual solid block terminal:
            Check out the deal on USA-Made Big Crank™ ETX14L Battery at BatteryMart.com

I've also found these at Advance Auto under their brand name.

Very good to know Brian, thanks for posting this.
            I had put those bikemaster AGM batteries in a couple of friends' bikes in the past few years, and had no trouble, but now one of them says his bike won't even begin to crank over, and it was stored in a garage attached to his house all winter. I have yet to make it over there to look at it, but am curious what happened with it.
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
              Very good to know Brian, thanks for posting this.
              I had put those bikemaster AGM batteries in a couple of friends' bikes in the past few years, and had no trouble, but now one of them says his bike won't even begin to crank over, and it was stored in a garage attached to his house all winter. I have yet to make it over there to look at it, but am curious what happened with it.
              Start by looking for cracks in the case.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I just pulled my Bikemaster battery out of my 850 L this year, after 8 years of service. Would not take a charge any longer. Replaced it with another one.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I believe I have the same AGM battery in my bike for a while now and it's still going strong despite a couple of dumb near-total discharge incidents that were my fault. Hope it holds on a little longer.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

A few yrs. back. I bought a brand new "INTESTATE" for my bike, from the Interstate whse.. When I got home & opened the box, there was a "YUSA" battery & an "INTERSTATE" sticker that had never been peeled off & stuck on there. I had to make the decision if I wanted a "YUSA" or an "INTERSTATE". I opted for the "YUSA" & put the Interstate sticker on my tool box.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                    X