A new addition to the bicycling stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60s and sunny yesterday, 40s and rainy today. *grumble* *grumble*

I bet Jedz is out on his Triumph, anyway.

Comment

Just trying some social distancing yesterday. Managed to actually get out for nice leisurely ride by myself. Weather was a little flakey and others jammed out so I ended up having a great day exploring some back roads through the grasslands on a plateau in what's known as the Rocky Mountain Trench. I spooked an elk herd and about 15 minutes later spotted them again so I left the bike and manage to sneak through trees a few hundred metres before they got suspicious so I took this and left.

Bike - Elk Herd by soates50, on Flickr

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

What does the gang think of e bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
          GROSS unless you are using one to commute on.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Funny that you bring that up now. We just bought a Giant/Liv hybrid e-bike for my wife. I balked at first but now figure it's was a great choice because it will get her out more even if it is on improved trails and not single track, which is what I prefer. We went out yesterday on some rails to trails and did the trail to the neighbouring ski town (50 km return) and she was just beaming when we got back. Even though I've not ridden it I love it. It'll let her enjoy getting out more and allow me to ride at my pace and distance instead of hers. Also she can go with a couple her friends that also have e-bikes so it frees me up to go exploring more. Win-win situation for both of us. One day it might even break down and try it. LOL.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Sun finally came out in the afternoon so i managed to get a lovely two hour ride.
              Would have been better except my favourite Thermos water bottle slipped out my hand and skittered across the road under the wheels of a truck heading in the other direction.
              Flat as a pancake. Nuts.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Headed out on a ride tomorrow. I'll take some photos and report back!
                79' GS550EN

Comment

Have you ever heard the saying " Don't ride or drive it if you aren't prepared to buy"? Well, at the bike shop the salesman says " Wanna try this e bike?" and I said "Sure"...

Comment

Have you ever heard the saying " Don't ride or drive it if you aren't prepared to buy"? Well, at the bike shop the salesman says " Wanna try this e bike?" and I said "Sure"...
                    ........and?

Comment

Originally posted by Seth View Post
                      Headed out on a ride tomorrow. I'll take some photos and report back!
                      Where are those pics?
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        ........and?
                        Like the bike, hate the price.

Comment

Problem is, I want a new acoustic bike too.

Comment

Around here, I usually ride on bike paths along the rivers, paved side roads, and paved beach bike paths. Its easy to social distance. There are E Bikes whizzing by at 30 to 40 mph, and their numbers seem to increase by orders of magnitude every year. Lots of irresponsible riding.

On the other hand, I do love anything with a motor. I did build a 2 stroke motorized bicycle kit once.

Schwinn went out of business in 2001. Supergo bought a lot of their inventory, and that's where I got a new Homegrown Pro for $995, which was $1000 less than list in 2001.

Pacific Cycle bought the name. http://www.pacific-cycle.com/brand There is no "Schwinn" as a company.

I disagree that you can't buy a decent bicycle in a department store. At the very least, you can buy a bicycle which can be pretty easily upgraded into a decent bicycle. Things I find wrong with cheap bicycles include:
                            Hub cones set too tightly with really crappy grease.
                            Head set and crank set not well greased.
                            Vee brakes which won't stay in adjustment due to a lack of temper in the return springs
                            Seats are crap, but most stock seats are.

I can fix most of those things for next to free. A set of cheap Vee brakes which will stay in adjustment are about $18.00. I found some real decent Shimano ones on close out at Jenson USA for about that and stocked up.

I found two sets of new unused wheels in the box for $150 for two sets. Shimano freehubs and front hubs, ans Rhino-Lite wheels, with tiny folding 26" tires. When I got them home, I saw the shipping date in 1998. The hub grease was hard, and the freehubs didn't work. I cleaned and relubed both, and used them on two Wal Mart aluminum framed Schwinn beach cruiser frames. The seller's husband was building a pair of tandem bikes, and died 20 years before. I tuned my wife's yesterday, and they roll really well. Park red grease, I think. Usually use Phil Wood grease.
                            Last edited by 850 Combat; 05-27-2020, 03:03 PM.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I hate seeing one out on the trails. Some trail networks have banned e-bikes, and I think that is wise. Too many folks get one and suddenly think they are the most capable rider on earth. These jack@sses try to pass going uphill, riding on the margins of trails, tearing stuff up. These are powered bikes, despite what folks say ("well, you still have to pedal," etc.), and they should not be allowed on mountain bike trails that don't also allow motorized traffic.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                                I hate seeing one out on the trails. Some trail networks have banned e-bikes, and I think that is wise. Too many folks get one and suddenly think they are the most capable rider on earth. These jack@sses try to pass going uphill, riding on the margins of trails, tearing stuff up. These are powered bikes, despite what folks say ("well, you still have to pedal," etc.), and they should not be allowed on mountain bike trails that don't also allow motorized traffic.
                                While there are trail etiquette issues I have several elderly friends (we're almost all in our '70s now) that have been mountain biking in this area since before there were mountain bikes. For health reasons they've recently switched to e-mountain bikes. You're saying they shouldn't be allowed on the trails, some of which they actually helped build. That's a stretch.

Comment

Working...
                                X