No announcement yet.

A new addition to the bicycling stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm saying that. It is too easy to go down that slippery slope. If age keeps them physically unable to ride the trails, chances are they shouldn't be risking falling out there, either-and if we say okay to them, then we say okay to the younger, less trail-friendly set. People who have worked to maintain trails should get that. Maybe time to switch to gravel riding-or hiking?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Yeah, I'm saying that. It is too easy to go down that slippery slope. If age keeps them physically unable to ride the trails, chances are they shouldn't be risking falling out there, either-and if we say okay to them, then we say okay to the younger, less trail-friendly set. People who have worked to maintain trails should get that. Maybe time to switch to gravel riding-or hiking?
      Trust me. No problem with fragility or skill level, just can't climb like they used to and around here other than boring rails to trails and improved trails our single track is all about hills and.decents. Be careful what you wish for because there is even a larger faction of hkers that would like to see all bikes banned from trails for exactly the reasons you mention. I think a little respect and tolerance from either side would go a long way.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I've been mountain biking since '87 and am also a regular hiker. I am careful about this, and I have followed the issue since it arose. The problem really isn't folks like your friends, who (I hope) ride category I e-bikes. Rather, it is the people on the other two categories of bikes, coupled with the inability of parks to police them properly. I'd put it back in your court and say the same to you. If these bikes are determined to be hazardous to trails and those who have been using them on real mountain bikes these past few decades, they could shut the door on the bikes that deserve to be out there. This is NOT about being selfish.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Just back from 5 days in Sedona. Riding was great, beautiful views. Son rode the double blacks and managed not to fall off a cliff. I did intermediate and expert and had a blast.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
            Just back from 5 days in Sedona. Riding was great, beautiful views. Son rode the double blacks and managed not to fall off a cliff. I did intermediate and expert and had a blast.
            Very cool. Reminds me of the times we spent in the Moab area in the early '90s before it got crazy. Friends last year went to Fruita, AZ and absolutely loved it. Never been there but they said it reminded them of what Moab used to be like.

Are we having fun yet?

Moab1994107 by soates50, on Flickr
            Last edited by Sandy; 05-28-2020, 05:23 PM.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Sedona is awesome riding. A good number of rides there are psycho (White Line/Hangover), and I avoid those. But Aerie, Chuckwagon, etc. are fantastic and still gorgeous.
              Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 06-20-2020, 11:08 PM.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

My son needed tires.
                We ended up going to the local bikeshop, one that I visited countless time as a teen. Different owner, same building. There were only a handful of new bikes, and what I thought at first were used bikes for sale. Turns out that one half of the floor was pending work, and the other completed work. The girl at the counter said that business was great. I was happy to see a local independent shop doing well.

There were even two 20 plus year old Trek bikes of similar vintage to mine there. I left with a happy feeling, likely related to my youth, and realized that I still dig bicycles.

We swapped tires later. Nice meaty looking ones. Far better then the crappy ones from Dick's sporting goods that they replaced. I may use them on mine when it's time.

I'm planning a 5am photography ride again tomorrow morning and my son claims that he's getting up and coming with me.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

He got up and went with me. We had a nice ride.
                  Getting a serious picture of him is nearly impossible, hence his mugging for the shot....
                  http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

A nice Fathers Day present!
                    No bribes?
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It was nice. The ride was the bribe. He told me that getting up is easy with the right motivation - just like most of us... he LOVES bicycling and exploring. He did take a long nap after we got home. I did not and, am wiped out after two early mornings and late nights.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Nice.

With the gyms closed for over three months now i have rediscovered cycling.
                        Years ago i did some trail riding and then it was a bit of road riding.
                        With yesterdays ride i totaled 120 miles for the week. Nothing spectacular but LOTS for me.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great to ride with your son, I'm doing the same as much as I can. I try to support LBS as much as possible but the other day my kid needed a tire - Maxxix Minion DHSII - they list for $65, one shop had them priced for $100. Ouch. At least another shop nearby had them at list, so I got it there. Online is only about $5 less.

Lots of folks are out riding the local trails, and the medevac helicopter is getting a workout. One trail nearby has lots of jumps and on my ride Friday an older guy had just broken his arm jumping a hard tail. I watched at one jump for a while and it was like a blooper reel, people splatting right and left.

I am getting more and more confident on descents, and much better on the climbs. I've lost 15 lbs since the Covid started. At nearly 59 (but in decent overall shape for that age) I don't want to do anything stupid ,so I stay within my limits. Those are less skill related and more about balance, vision, and reaction time. The trails are steep, rutted, rocky and sandy, so I pick my way down as my son just dusts me, literally. He has gotten into better shape on his MTB than I ever have been in my life.
                          Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-22-2020, 11:35 AM.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Around here its gravel or paved paths. There is one small sopt nearby with some slightly more challenging trails, but nothing crazy. He hasn't gotten to the point of asking to drive to more technical riding spots.
                            I try to take it easy as well. Weight hasn't been an issue with me, but despite loads of walking and climbing ladders, etc for work, I still tire quickly, particularly when really working my quads. I've seen some improvement though.
                            The hardtail comment reminds of the punishmet we gave ourselves in youth jumping our 20" BMX bikes. Its amazing we never broke any bones and still have working knees.
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Here's the fatbike as set up for street/gravel rides. Love how spritely it is this way.
                              B00E5D8D-95DA-4022-BAB0-98B9FC1394B4.jpg
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Don't like oiling or maintaining a chain? I saw a Cannondale Badboy1 with belt drive today. Cool and interesting but $2000? Yikes!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X