A new addition to the bicycling stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    My dad grew up in Kenai and there is still some family in the area. The logo and head badge was designed by a friend some years back and I finally was able to fabricate a proper badge this year using an acid etching process. In case it's not apparent it's a totem figure and the outer chainring outline is supposed to look like a parka. Anyway, it's lugged steel with as you noted, a carbon fork. I like the fork because it damps vibration better than a steel fork can. I've got more/better photos that I'll try to get up later.

Edit: a couple more head badges I made...

P1040241 by nessism, on Flickr
    Thanks for that, sir. I love every bit of it. Congratulations on your skills. Do you make the lugs? Are they commercially available? The badges are terrific too.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

How did I miss this thread before? Anyhow, I was thinking of refurbishing my old Varsity. I,m shocked to read that 27" tires aren't made any more.

Comment

The lugs are made by Darrell McCulloch in Australia. They are pretty unique since they are designed for a sloping top tube and XL oversized tubing. Pretty much the only such lugs on the market. I could make lugs myself but it would take me a long time and I doubt they would be as nice as these. I did reshape them a little and bend the angles, but overall they are stock.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You can buy 27" tires, just not light high pressure fast rolling ones. A light strong fast rolling wheel set is the best upgrade you can give your bike, especially with high pressure kevlar bead tires. Low rotating mass and low rolling resistance are more beneficial than overall light weight. Original varsities never came with a light wheel set that I know of. I had a Continental in the early 70s. I think it was 40lbs. A Varsity with alloy stem and handlebars pretty much.

They probably have 27" tires at WalMart. I just couldn't find what I was looking for in that size any more, folding kevlar bead 1" to 1-1/8" wide tires rated for over 100psi. Light high pressure tires are tires with a quiet fast rolling tread are hard to find now too. tire sizes go from 650C, 26", 700C, 27", 27.5", 28", 29". Its crazy now how many sizes there are.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Pretty easy to swap out 27" for 700C. Wheels are cheap and a great way to update/upgrade your ride.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm jonesing for a mtn bike but, holy chit they're not cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                Thanks for the info, guys. I'm jonesing for a mtn bike but, holy chit they're not cheap!
                They sure aren't, but you can get a lot for a moderate amount if you shop sensibly.

I probably have about $2K in the fat bike, so, while that's not exactly cheap, it's a far cry from a friend's Moots, which ran him about $4K, and that's not much compared to some wild exotic stuff out there.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I recently just got back into the pedal bike realm! But this a power assisted model and it's pretty awesome! Makes mince meat of hills! Really nice bike, far better then what I've had in my past, the hydraulic disc brakes are AWESOME. Range isn't so great in the cold but I usually just keep it in eco mode, I was definitely feeling it today on the hills. Put it to full power and it's kinda crazy how quick you spin up to 20 mph. The assist falls off around 22mph which is fine, it was nice to see I could push the bike (on my own power) to 30mph sprints.
                  I really love being on a pedal bike, it just is a great way to stay in shape and the pedal assist is nice to have after you wind yourself on a hill. I can do 20 miles in about an hour, with the assist it's the same but I'm not soaked in sweat.
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 02-17-2019, 02:27 AM.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

How far are you from Kingdom Trails? I want to go there next fall, probably.

off topic, when does that flag date to?
                    Last edited by B.C.G.S.; 02-17-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

The flag is the Centennial flag. It was the flag that flew when my house was built.

Where is Kingdom Trails bud? If I get a town name I'll let you know!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

The Kingdom Trail Association is a nonprofit organization with the mission to provide recreation & education opportunities by managing, maintaining, & building trails to foster the health of our local community, surrounding environment, & regional economy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                            2.5 hours from me.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              I recently just got back into the pedal bike realm! But this a power assisted model and it's pretty awesome! Makes mince meat of hills! Really nice bike, far better then what I've had in my past, the hydraulic disc brakes are AWESOME. Range isn't so great in the cold but I usually just keep it in eco mode, I was definitely feeling it today on the hills. Put it to full power and it's kinda crazy how quick you spin up to 20 mph. The assist falls off around 22mph which is fine, it was nice to see I could push the bike (on my own power) to 30mph sprints.
                              I really love being on a pedal bike, it just is a great way to stay in shape and the pedal assist is nice to have after you wind yourself on a hill. I can do 20 miles in about an hour, with the assist it's the same but I'm not soaked in sweat.
                              Ugh: E-bikes. They are a bane to trails, and they make lazy people feel like heroes. I'm a frequent poster on MTBR, and there are great discussions about these things. Seriously, why give power advantages to humans on a human-powered vehicle. Let the gears be honest, and let safety be at least a possibility for those of moderate abilities.

Already in 2014, Moab, which is a trail-heaven in Utah, banned electric bikes from many of the area's most popular trails. It was simply an articulation
                              Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 02-20-2019, 01:28 PM.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

LoL: Regarding honest gears, I'm changing the front sprocket on the BMX bike to make it accelerate quicker. Lots of folks run top speed gearing on singlespeed bikes, but it makes them less interesting to poke around and do tricks on.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X