Decided I'm not a “Biker”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided I'm not a “Biker”

Ok, I get into conversations with people who don't ride motorcycles, and when they learn I ride, they immediately label me as a “biker ”.
    I'm not a badass meathead in pirate garb!!! I don't ride a “Hog”, I ride motorcycles, vintage sport bikes in particular.
    So what _____ if not a biker?
    Seems the only other well known label is “squid”.
    I'll take it!!!
    Don't call me a biker, I'm a squid!!!
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 03-24-2018, 05:21 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I'm a motorcyclist, meself. I likewise will not answer to "biker". Ain't never even been ON a Harley.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

I'm not a fan of the term biker either and picture pirates on obnoxious bikes when the term is used also.
      I also dislike a the term "run" when a few guys are going on a ride - it gives me visions of a drunken poker run... you know, the rides that bikers go on..
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Buffalo Bill the Biker Squid... haha
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I use "rider." What I ride is left to the imagination.

Comment

How about 2 wheeled enthusiast. Instead of an eye patch it conjures up images of large handlebar mustaches and leather googles... Hmmm I dont know .. chose your imagery!

I usually just tell people .."yea I am an idiot that gets cold when its cold out, hot when its hot out and wet when it rains ... and yet I still love it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
              I use "rider." What I ride is left to the imagination.
              Another "rider" here... though i've been called "that gawl'damn hooligan" on occasions, too.
              '80 GS1000ST
              '92 ZX-11
              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Yeah, I get called a biker by friends on occasion. Whatever, been called much worse! I do not consider myself one though.

If anyone who rides a motorcycle is automatically a "biker" then riding a horse must instantly make one a "cowboy". Right? Cops ride both but they're still called cops. Ok, my head is hurting now...
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I am most definitely NOT a biker. A motorcyclist or rider, yes. When I've been called a biker in the past I just reply "No, I'm not a biker, but I do ride a motorcycle." Sometimes that gets a confused look in response but so be it. I'm not a Son of Anarchy. ;-)

Comment

i feel ya, bill, you know what its like here, they hear you say "i ride a motorcycle" and it's "what harley ya got?"
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Most of the time I am a motorcyclist. If I happen to have the Spyder out for a ride then I am a rider because the Spyder is NOT a motorcycle. I guess I could be a Spyderist.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                        i feel ya, bill, you know what its like here, they hear you say "i ride a motorcycle" and it's "what harley ya got?"
                        When I bought my Triumph the salesman said, "Don't worry, the Harley riders will still let you ride with them." I smiled and said, "You're assuming I want to let them ride with me."

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                          When I bought my Triumph the salesman said, "Don't worry, the Harley riders will still let you ride with them." I smiled and said, "You're assuming I want to let them ride with me."
                          My Triumph Bonnie (gone) and my GS750 inspired and inspire more impromptu conversation than any Harley I ever had. I went to the post office yesterday and had a guy chew my ear off for 10 minutes.

Seems everyone remembers having an old Suzuki, having done street battles against the old Suzukis or just have pleasant memories of a time in their life when those old suzukis were on the road regular. I can hardly pull into a gas station without someone asking about my bike.

I actually dont think I have ever been referred to as a biker honestly. I guess it depends where you grew up. We kind of always assumed it was the fat guys with beards and patches and we certainly weren't them. Seems a silly stereotype but there you have it.

I find now that the older Harley riders wave enthusiastically and just had one a couple of days ago who was a grizzled ol Arizona rider with a long grey beard give me the thumbs up at a light when I pulled up. Most of the old Harley guys by necessity or desire were wrenchers. I think they appreciate what it takes to get these old machines running and keeping them running.

I get far more dismissive looks from the crotch rocket crowd. Fortunately for me .. I dont give a BLEEP! When I am riding I am digging life.

Comment

Back in the 80's I was a biker. Then a queer billionaire with a hot air balloon shaped like a castle came along and repackaged the culture for the rich. In the 90's when all but the most hard core sold off their bikes to pay for rehab, I quit riding HD's and switched to rice not wanting to be associated nor aquatinted with that crowd. What peoplele call bikers these days is a PG-13 rated version of what it was all about and HD's are like belly buttons, everybody's got one. To be called a biker these days is akin to being called a cartoon character.
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I have read a few biker creeds over the years and can assure you that I am as far from a biker as one could be while still owning motorcycles!

Comment

Working...
                              X