No announcement yet.

Decided I'm not a “Biker”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its all good. Ive never done labels.... I'm just.... me.

The scooter is oddly fun and I've never felt the need to be apologetic for it.
    As far as Harley guys, like many, I've ridden with a few, one being a good friend. The ones putting on the "image" are the annoying ones..
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Its all good. Ive never done labels.... I'm just.... me.

The scooter is oddly fun and I've never felt the need to be apologetic for it.
      As far as Harley guys, like many, I've ridden with a few, one being a good friend. The ones putting on the "image" are the annoying ones..
      I think thats the whole thing......"image".
      Some folks' image is only their type of bike that they like and they center on those and those who like them only. Some folks just like cycles of all kinds and seem to appreciate anything. It might be a matter of too narrow a focus on an image.
      One of the things that keeps me in mototcycling is the comeradery....you rarely see a car driver waving to another...except in old cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        One of the things that keeps me in mototcycling is the comeradery....you rarely see a car driver waving to another...except in old cars.
        Funny story. My daughter and I were walking to our parked car the other day. A couple rode by two up. I nodded at them, they nodded at me, and my daughter said, "Daddy, they did that biker thing, but you weren't on your motorcycle! How did they know?"

"We know, kiddo. Bikers know."
        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

"Biker" has particular connotations of the basic meaning, which is, "a person who rides motorcycles". The connotations have been slowly changing.

"Biker" used to mean a 1%er, a gang member or a wanna-be, a greaseball, a potentially violent thug. Even riding a motorcycle was optional. In the late 80s, an editorial in Biker Lifestyle said directly, that "if you don't ride a bike, you aren't a biker", and followed it up with "a puke on a Honda 50 is more of a biker than you if you don't ride." Their readers made it clear that the motorcycle itself is merely an accessory to the "biker lifestyle", and the editorial was retracted.

Changes in society and criminal prosecution have moderated the biker image. Most HD riders seem to ride for the fun of it. Still, some of the connotations remain. The prevalence of HD riders who dress in HD clothing, and skip safety gear, is enough to make "biker" mean something in addition to riding motorcycles.

I prefer "motorcyclist". Its four syllables add a bit of seriousness.

FWIW, I regularly get compliments on how nice my Wee Strom looks, and they all want to talk about motorcycles for 10 minutes.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
            "Biker" has particular connotations of the basic meaning, which is, "a person who rides motorcycles". The connotations have been slowly changing.

"Biker" used to mean a 1%er, a gang member or a wanna-be, a greaseball, a potentially violent thug. Even riding a motorcycle was optional. In the late 80s, an editorial in Biker Lifestyle said directly, that "if you don't ride a bike, you aren't a biker", and followed it up with "a puke on a Honda 50 is more of a biker than you if you don't ride." Their readers made it clear that the motorcycle itself is merely an accessory to the "biker lifestyle", and the editorial was retracted.

Changes in society and criminal prosecution have moderated the biker image. Most HD riders seem to ride for the fun of it. Still, some of the connotations remain. The prevalence of HD riders who dress in HD clothing, and skip safety gear, is enough to make "biker" mean something in addition to riding motorcycles.

I prefer "motorcyclist". Its four syllables add a bit of seriousness.

FWIW, I regularly get compliments on how nice my Wee Strom looks, and they all want to talk about motorcycles for 10 minutes.
            It's really just one of many "labels"....and there's plenty of non HD folks who don't dress right....in some folks opinions..

Comment

I like the term, "Rider". Kinda like on horseback...there is HP on the bike...and it also reminds me of a song by the Doors, "Riders on the Storm".

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDad View Post
                Most of the time I am a motorcyclist. If I happen to have the Spyder out for a ride then I am a rider because the Spyder is NOT a motorcycle. I guess I could be a Spyderist.
                Hey hey now! NObody here is riding the Spyder ! ! ! Let's just be perfectly clear on this subject... LOL
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Ok, I get into conversations with people who don't ride motorcycles, and when they learn I ride, they immediately label me as a “biker ”.
                  I'm not a badass meathead in pirate garb!!! I don't ride a “Hog”, I ride motorcycles, vintage sport bikes in particular.
                  So what _____ if not a biker?
                  Seems the only other well known label is “squid”.
                  I'll take it!!!
                  Don't call me a biker, I'm a squid!!!

In MY head, the term "Biker" is usually associated with leather vest, do-rag, and a loud-ass Harley.

I laugh when referred to as one, because even if I was GIVEN a Harley, I would probably not **** my pants with excitement until I sold the damn thing for Suzuki parts haha

Comment

Working...
                  X