Decided I'm not a “Biker”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
    I'm a motorcyclist, meself. I likewise will not answer to "biker". Ain't never even been ON a Harley.
    I have ridden a Harley, but I stopped at the first available opportunity and got back on my own bike. LOL
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I definitely would not argue with being called a 2-wheeled fanatic... even at 39.9 years old, I'm still very much into bicycles even, BMX stunt riding, mountain biking, cyclocross road racer setup for city riding... & of course all types of motorcycles aside from all Evo engine & later Harleys, & almost all cruisers in general...

I'm definitely opposed to being called a biker... that's an insult in my book...I'd much rather be wrenching or riding than be seen projecting an image of my macho biker lifestyle while "doing a run" to the local "biker" hangout to drink and socialize with "bikers," while riding a severely overpriced and severely underperforming / ill-handling slow heavy antiquated "modern" bike...

Motorcycle rider, motorcyclist, that's fine...

If you ask me, I'll be the first to tell you, I'm a "fanatical vintage motorcycle nut-job!!!!"
      Last edited by Chuck78; 03-23-2018, 08:44 PM.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Several years ago, I saw one of those "Top Ten Differences between XXX and YYY" lists that compared bikers to motorcyclists.
        I only remember one of those differences and use it regularly if someone wishes to but a label on me.

"A biker will watch the weather report to see if he is going to ride tomorrow.
        A motorcyclist will watch the weather report to see how to dress for tomorrow's ride."

I prefer to be thought of as a "motorcyclist".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Several years ago, I saw one of those "Top Ten Differences between XXX and YYY" lists that compared bikers to motorcyclists.
          I only remember one of those differences and use it regularly if someone wishes to but a label on me.

"A biker will watch the weather report to see if he is going to ride tomorrow.
          A motorcyclist will watch the weather report to see how to dress for tomorrow's ride."

Steve, I have the impression a biker will decide during telephone call if he's gonna ride to his fave bar, soon as he finds the door?
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 03-23-2018, 05:49 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

motorcyclist.
            rider.

I decided that the first few months of riding , and then (1979) confirmed it when I got a brown leather jacket.

When the "biker" description came up, I used to say "See.... brown jacket, not black."
            THen they might say "Oh, like Fonzie." (That was a known situation then, the TV producers would allow the Fonzie character to ride only if it was a British bike and he wore a brown jacket.)

I now say "See, textile jacket, not black leather."

But if they say something about Evel Keneval and mimic twisting throttle with both hands.... well, then.... doesnt matter what I say...
            Last edited by Redman; 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well, ya can't fix ***** LOL
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Buffalo Bill the Biker Squid... haha
                A spin-off from Sponge Bob
                sigpic
                1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

"A biker will watch the weather report
                  to see if he is going to ride tomorrow.

Awe Crap ! Looks like I'm a " biker ". But in my defence I live in Vancouver and that's what we do. We just pray that they're wrong...........
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Stereotypes... don't you just love them!!! People hear the word "motorcycle" and all sorts goes through their heads, usually wrong of course. As for myself, take it or leave it, I don't answer to labels!

Comment

Lifts the lid a little on what prejudice is like. Caucasian males of a certain income group rarely experience it.
                      There is an isolated country pub a mile from my grandfather's homeplace, my great uncle's farm is opposite and I frequented the pub with my kids for Sunday lunch.
                      One day I arrived on the bike with Mary and we stood for fifteen minutes being ignored until it dawned on us what was happening. Sucks.
                      Four miles away that weekend a chapter of some biker group had taken over the old convent converted to a pub and were holding court.
                      When your own kin ignore you....................... but then they didn't see past the helmets and leather.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        Lifts the lid a little on what prejudice is like. Caucasian males of a certain income group rarely experience it.
                        There is an isolated country pub a mile from my grandfather's homeplace, my great uncle's farm is opposite and I frequented the pub with my kids for Sunday lunch.
                        One day I arrived on the bike with Mary and we stood for fifteen minutes being ignored until it dawned on us what was happening. Sucks.
                        Four miles away that weekend a chapter of some biker group had taken over the old convent converted to a pub and were holding court.
                        When your own kin ignore you....................... but then they didn't see past the helmets and leather.
                        That is pretty bad. heh
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hm. I don't mind being a biker. Motorcyclist suits me fine, too, but I got no problem with biker.
                          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I prefer "Velocitized Insect Mitigation Officer".
                            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                            __________________________________________________ ______________________
                            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I don't care what "they" call me, I'm riding and they aren't...............................
                              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                                I prefer "Velocitized Insect Mitigation Officer".
                                This has got to be the phrase of the year
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X