Decided I'm not a “Biker”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
    Hm. I don't mind being a biker. Motorcyclist suits me fine, too, but I got no problem with biker.
    What's in a name? Probably, guilt by association. If ONE does not lead "the life" as some interpret, what do you/one have to worry about?

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I ride there fore I'm a rider...drops mike ~
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

There are thousands and thousands of good ordinary men and women on Harleys and I have met a lot. BUT the outlaw and other clubbers give the entire Harley crowd That bad stereotype. If they could ever cleanse the brand of the clubbers and 1%ers image they wouldn't be bad off at all.

My own experience growing up around a certain club, and my brother being a member, showed me EVERYTHING in life that NEVER want to be. If every brand of cycle insanity disappeared and Harley was all that was left I would be fine with never setting on wheels again. I want to never be viewed nor associated with the"biker" crowds.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Biker Life

Chuck,

I can relate to your story. My mother's 3rd husband is a lifetime Harley Rider. He's 6'4" and 225. My mother dated him for a couple of years before they got married (over 20 yrs ago) and they did their runs. I had no idea how a "Biker" association functioned nor did I ever think my mother was in any danger. They are good people, as you stated above. I just know that living that life is not what I would want.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I dress up like a hornet (hi-vis) and NOBODY ever calls me a "biker" I've ever noticed but maybe I don't react either. I take it as banter. Anyways, around here, people sort of know the difference. A dentist in leather is not called a "biker"except by his mother, maybe.

Comment

Mildly interesting looking for the easiest ...the Thesaurus I glanced at sort of fails here. sooo, likely missing some but off the top of my head: horses, motorcycles and bicycles are not "driven". Simply put a "driver of horses" is in a buggy behind and not ON the horse. so it makes my fillings ring when someone says "oh. he drives a motorcycle" Being called a "biker" is far better.
              a driver of cars= a car driver, a driver, a motorist... a cager (perjorative used by non-motorists)

a rider of motorcycles= a motorcycle rider, a motorcyclist, motorbiker(ugh), "'bike rider"(slang NON perjorative, indefinite) , "biker" (perjorative? slang, indefinite) , "rider" (truncated and indefinite) .

other similar as examples
              a rider of horses= a horseback rider, a "rider"(truncated and indefinite) a horseman a horsewoman, cavalier and caballero (gentleman on horseback) cowboy and vaqueroare something specific
              a rider of bicycles = bicyclist, bike rider "rider", "biker"(uncommon but NON-perjorative)

NONE of these really trips off the tongue as ez and definitive- not like "astronaut" or "cosmonaut" anyways. Maybe Road-biker (similar to Dirt-biker ?)would do.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-27-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                Mildly interesting looking for the easiest ...the Thesaurus I glanced at sort of fails here. sooo, likely missing some but off the top of my head: horses, motorcycles and bicycles are not "driven". Simply put a "driver of horses" is in a buggy behind and not ON the horse. so it makes my fillings ring when someone says "oh. he drives a motorcycle" Being called a "biker" is far better.
                a driver of cars= a car driver, a driver, a motorist... a cager (perjorative used by non-motorists)

a rider of motorcycles= a motorcycle rider, a motorcyclist, motorbiker(ugh), "'bike rider"(slang NON perjorative, indefinite) , "biker" (perjorative? slang, indefinite) , "rider" (truncated and indefinite) .

other similar as examples
                a rider of horses= a horseback rider, a "rider"(truncated and indefinite) a horseman a horsewoman, cavalier and caballero (gentleman on horseback) cowboy and vaqueroare something specific
                a rider of bicycles = bicyclist, bike rider "rider", "biker"(uncommon but NON-perjorative)

NONE of these really trips off the tongue as ez and definitive- not like "astronaut" or "cosmonaut" anyways. Maybe Road-biker (similar to Dirt-biker ?)would do.
                He brought a thesaurus to a biker thread.................now that's comedy!

Comment

I have cousins that ride Harley Davidsons and they are good people. Both of them say, we don't care what you ride just as long as you like what you ride. I pretty much tolerate Harley bashing because it's just dumb and, in a lot of cases, inaccurate. And, I really don't care what I'm called either.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Met both side Daniels...and its the bad side that gets remembered and others get lumped into the category. Guilt by association.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-27-2018, 08:21 PM.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      I'm not a badass meathead in pirate garb!!!
                      ...well, I couldn't picture you with a parrot on your shoulder while riding...

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                        ...well, I couldn't picture you with a parrot on your shoulder while riding...
                        A parrot in a full face/beak helmet?
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          A parrot in a full face/beak helmet?
                          Of course....and with a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Met both side Daniels...and its the bad side that gets remembered and others get lumped into the category. Guilt by association.
                            And that is unfair to the good guys.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

True. But that's why I disassociate myself as far away from anything to do with herdleys as I can. I want no part of the association of my face and side business with Harley.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                                He brought a thesaurus to a biker thread.................now that's comedy!
                                No, I wrote a thesaurus in a "biker thread". Did I say nobody calls me a "biker"? :0 Mind you, I've bs'ed with a biker who knew who Trajan and Frederick the Great were, and had a full set of tatoos so you never know...

Comment

Working...
                                X