Florida trip to visit mom 04/13/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida trip to visit mom 04/13/18

I'm riding to Florida to visit mom. I'm planning on leaving on Friday April 13th after a half day of work. The first day I want to make it to Florence Kentucky. Day two, I'll head towards Knoxville Tennessee, I want to ride the Dragons Tail and catch some sights, eat some BBQ. Day three, hopefully end up in Georgia somewhere. Day four (Monday) pull into Punta Gorda Florida. Punta Gorda is about 45 miles north of Ft. Myers. I'll spend two days with mom. (Not a long time just a good time). On my way home, I'll stop in Clearwater to visit my friend Gina. I'm still not sure what direction I'll take getting home, It depends on the weather. The nice thing about this trip is I don't have a real plan except seeing mom. For this trip I'll be riding my new to me FJR 13. I have it wired up for my heated gear in case it gets cold. I'm looking forward to having a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand. 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Safe travels ! Nice destination on a nice machine. Full report with pics when you get back.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Sounds awesome! And probably much more enjoyable than it would be on a GS........sorry.

Comment

Safe travels my friend. You surely don't have any superstitions about riding on a Friday the 13th. Be safe and have a great time both ways.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Sounds like quite an adventure.

Mid April, starting from northern Ohio, could be okay, could be cold. When you say "heated gear", hopefully that is enough heated gear.

Punta Gorda is quite a ways south in FL.

Do post of your adventure.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good luck with the trip. Post up some pictures.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That's over 1K miles from Dover, DE!

Ride safe Norm and take plenty of pics!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Safe travels buddy!!! Go rack some miles on your new ICBM!
                Subscribed!
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  I'm riding to Florida to visit mom. I'm planning on leaving on Friday April 13th after a half day of work. The first day I want to make it to Florence Kentucky. Day two, I'll head towards Knoxville Tennessee, I want to ride the Dragons Tail and catch some sights, eat some BBQ. Day three, hopefully end up in Georgia somewhere. Day four (Monday) pull into Punta Gorda Florida. Punta Gorda is about 45 miles north of Ft. Myers. I'll spend two days with mom. (Not a long time just a good time). On my way home, I'll stop in Clearwater to visit my friend Gina. I'm still not sure what direction I'll take getting home, It depends on the weather. The nice thing about this trip is I don't have a real plan except seeing mom. For this trip I'll be riding my new to me FJR 13. I have it wired up for my heated gear in case it gets cold. I'm looking forward to having a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand. 
                  Norm, give me a ring when you're heading back up from Clearwater if you plan on going through central Fl.. It will take longer. but I can take you through some back roads to avoid I-4 through Orlando. There is major road construction going on and you will want to avoid that at all costs. If anything just look up Fl scenic roads and plan on taking those.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Rick. I will look up Florida scenic roads. I plan on sticking.to the west coast as close as possible. I'm wanting to go up to Pensacola for a day or two. It all depends on the weather. If I have to stay a extra day to avoid riding in a all day rain I will. I really don't have any real plans, well, after visiting with mom. 👍
                    My Motorcycles:
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)

Comment

Dotting the I's crossing the T's. I'm getting me and my motorcycle (FJR) ready to seek out some Florida sunshine. I've been watching the extended forecast for the last two months. It changed several times, it's looking good for my Friday departure. However I may hit rain on Saturday (chance of Thunderstorms) maybe I can dodge them. Maybe I'll be testing out my Frog Togs rain gear. Eather way, a day riding in the rain is still better than a day at work! haha Sunday, Monday... looks like great weather.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)

Comment

..., a day riding in the rain is still better than a day at work!
                        Goes right along with another one I have heard:

Motorcycling is not a matter of life or death.

No, it's much more important than that.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Have a safe and fun trip Norm. And, congratulations on the new ride. Will look forward to seeing you both in Brown County.
                          Bob
                          Current:
                          2008 BMW R1200RT
                          Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
                          1979 Suzuki GS550E
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G
                          1980 Suzuki GS850G
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100E
                          2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
                          2004 BMW R1150 RT
                          2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

............. ................... .............. .............. I've been watching the extended forecast for the last two months. ...... ..... ...
                            Probably not much improvement in recent days, but some improvement anyway.
                            50s and rain, suppose better than the current 30s.

And, yah, after a day south, can expect some improvement.

Do give us a daily update while traveling.

I suspect the only complaint you will have with the FJR, as compared to the GS, is it may not attract as much attention at stops along the way.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The motorcycle is ready to go. All I have to do is pack some clothes. I'm taking a minimal tool kit. No spare ignition system... I have a nice tire repair kit. I bought it so I don't get a flat. Same with my new rain gear, to ward off rain. Tomorrow I hope to make it close to Knoxville Tennessee. 500 miles. Saturday I hope to ride the Dragon Tail, then go as far south as I can. There's a storm front coming through on Sunday. I hope to blast through that to sunshine. If not I'll wait it out in a hotel bar ether way it's good. 👍
                              My Motorcycles:
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Working...
                              X