Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where does the hole on the starter motor housing on GS1000G drain to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where does the hole on the starter motor housing on GS1000G drain to?

Hi,

I was replacing the starter motor cable on my GS1000g when I lost the nut, I tried to fish it out but it seemed to disappear at the front of the starter motor. It seems there is a hole there somewhere to drain any water than could accumulate in the starter motor housing and the nut probably went through there. I am just wondering where the nut would then end up? (hopefully it just gets dumped on the ground).
    Last edited by DaveWatts; 03-31-2018, 09:06 AM.

Right, it leads out to the bottom of the block.
    Once found a pool of oil built up in the starter pocket, when I looked under the engine I found some previous owner had plugged it with epoxy putty!!!
    Often called the mystery hole.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Right, it leads out to the bottom of the block.
      Once found a pool of oil built up in the starter pocket, when I looked under the engine I found some previous owner had plugged it with epoxy putty!!!
      Often called the mystery hole.
      And there was I ready to start unscrewing the side cover, when I suddenly twigged, 'why would Suzuki have a hole that can only collect water going into the crankcase?'

Just another question, do you think it would be possible to get the starter out of there without pulling the carbs?

Comment

Kinda iffy and probably not.
        Have not had to remove the starter on my 1100G.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

twig2
          twiɡ/
          verbBRITISH informal

past tense: twigged; past participle: twigged
          • understand or realize something.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Kinda iffy and probably not.
            Have not had to remove the starter on my 1100G.
            When I use the starter the voltage drops down to 10V and it only spins a few times, The battery is new and I will replace the cable because that was in bad shape, then retest, but I suspect the starter motor needs a service.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWatts View Post
              When I use the starter the voltage drops down to 10V and it only spins a few times, The battery is new ....
              ... ... ... ...
              but, is it well charged?

If the cable was bad (or bad connection) it would not be able to drag down the battery voltage.

If cable is in bad shape, yes, it needs to be replaced, but isnt going to cause the symptom you are seeing of dragging down the battery voltage.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                but, is it well charged?

If the cable was bad (or bad connection) it would not be able to drag down the battery voltage.

If cable is in bad shape, yes, it needs to be replaced, but isnt going to cause the symptom you are seeing of dragging down the battery voltage.
                You're right I should recharge the battery, I charged it before winter and then left it in the cellar, maybe it has drained a bit in the meanwhile. But won't a bad cable mean higher resistance and therefore a voltage drop at the starter (V=IR)? (same goes for worn starter brushes)

Comment

Just another question, do you think it would be possible to get the starter out of there without pulling the carbs?
                  I've had the starter out of my 82 GS1100GK without pulling the carbs to do so. I would think it would be the same on the 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by fixmybrokecomputer View Post
                    I've had the starter out of my 82 GS1100GK without pulling the carbs to do so. I would think it would be the same on the 1000.
                    Great, I'll give that job a go, Its good that I have a Mitsuba starter, should make changing the brushes a breeze

Comment

Ooh, a Mystery Hole question! It must be springtime...

And yes, you can easily remove the starter on GS850, GS1000, and GS1100 shafties without removing the carbs. Not sure about the 650.

Yes, it's a drain hole that passes through an empty area of the engine castings, then out another hole in the bottom. Without a drain hole, the starter cavity would fill with water in the rain, which would make your starter unhappy.

If oil is coming from your Mystery Hole, it's usually the o-ring on the nose of the starter. Sometimes it's a leak further up, such as the cam chain tensioner or oil pressure switch.

It is not uncommon for people to spot one of the Mystery Holes, panic (OMFGWTFBBQ there's a HOLE in my ENGINE!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!) and attempt to plug it. The Mystery Hole can also sometimes end up plugged with leaves, dirt, or pine needles if the bike has been neglected and left outside under a tree.

The blue tubing in these pics of a dead GS850 engine is only there to show the holes are connected.

Last edited by bwringer; 04-01-2018, 12:08 PM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for that, my bike has a hole towards the gear end of the starter, but I found the nut so I guess it passed straight through.

Cheers

Dave

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

And yes, you can easily remove the starter on GS850, GS1000, and GS1100 shafties without removing the carbs. Not sure about the 650.

Yes, it's a drain hole that passes through an empty area of the engine castings, then out another hole in the bottom. Without a drain hole, the starter cavity would fill with water in the rain, which would make your starter unhappy.

If oil is coming from your Mystery Hole, it's usually the o-ring on the nose of the starter. Sometimes it's a leak further up, such as the cam chain tensioner or oil pressure switch.

It is not uncommon for people to spot one of the Mystery Holes, panic (OMFGWTFBBQ there's a HOLE in my ENGINE!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!) and attempt to plug it. The Mystery Hole can also sometimes end up plugged with leaves, dirt, or pine needles if the bike has been neglected and left outside under a tree.

The blue tubing in these pics of a dead GS850 engine is only there to show the holes are connected.

Comment

What I found was a different nut the starter nut was buried in gunk. I took off the starter motor and had a look inside, what a mess!
                          IMAG0078.jpg

Comment

I tried poking around with a tube but couldn't get it to come out the bottom. Anyway I tried cleaning the starter housing, removing all the leaf mush etc. My cleaning solution made it on to the floor, so I guess the hole is doing its job.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Comment

Working...
                            X