Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 82 Long Road Re-build

Hey Everyone,

Being fairly new to the GS Resource Forum, I though I would use this thread to document my current project. In July of 2016 I was on a road trip in PEI when I saw a sweet looking bobber/tracker in front of a small garage. I said to my wife that I thought the bike was really sweet and to my surprise she agreed. Up to this point she was not thrilled about the possibility of me getting on a motorcycle again, but she would entertain the idea of an older bike project.

Base on this response, pretty much a week after we got back from our trip, I had a project bike sitting in my garage. This is it, my 1982 GS1100GKZ minus a few parts:

The Beginning.jpg

I got it for a reasonable price considering the fact that it did not start and was missing a few pieces. Since then I have stripped the bike down to the frame and have disassembled a number of components. My current focus is to get it running and in doing so I have brought the cylinder head to a local machine shop and he is going to re-sleeve the valves with bronze sleeves and re-seat the valves. Once that is done I will have the block looked at and if needed I may have to purchase a big bore kit then have the cylinders bored and honed. Once that is done hopefully I can put the engine back together, have the carbs cleaned, installed and then try and fire it up.

My biggest restriction at the moment is time and of course money, as I don't have much of each, but slowly and surely I can hopefully move this project along. Last fall I also acquired a second parts bike locally that was in decent shape, so now I have a number of spare parts.

Thanks for visiting, comments welcome.

Cheers,
    GSLove

Hope it all goes well. There's nothing quite like the confidence that comes from knowing your bike inside out.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for posting.

"missing a few parts", you say haahaa

Any reason to think might need to have the cylinders bored out...?

Do post more as it progresses.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Maybe restart this in nthe projects section. Can use THREAD TOOLS and the ADMINMISTRATIVE tool at the tool bar to manage removal of threads and moving of a thread.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Welcome,

Nice story. These really are great bikes! I've managed to do a little maintenance on mine and rode it in Alamogordo, NM mostly. Did a MC rebuild and got a 4-1 exhaust and all was great!

We appreciate rebuilds and pics so please keep us updated.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome. Judging from what you're planning to do (or to have done) to the bike, it sounds this is not your first bike project?
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Hi GS. I am just up the road from you in Ottawa. Rebuilt my 850 several years ago. I have a sonic cleaner and when it comes time to clean the carbs let me know and you can bring them in to my shop. Phred

Comment

That is most generous of you Phred, thank you. Can your ultrasonic cleaner clean all the carbs at once, or would I have to separate them? Is your 850 still on the road?

Comment

Besides being focused on the engine I can't also help but think about what I want to do with the frame. I know, I know most people would say, what's wrong with the way it is. Well for some crazy reason I really want my bike to look different (although keeping it old school) from stock and being 6' 3" tall and the fact that I want a more sporty or upright ridding position will for sure lead to a seat that is a bit higher than stock.

I have made numerous sketches, but I still haven't been able to figure it out. I know that keeping things simple will make a good looking bike, but simplicity is not easy when trying to incorporate practicality. One of my favorite builds to date is a GSX250 called Sugar Kane.

There is just something about how clean and simple it looks. I have been seriously toying with the idea of converting my GS1100 into a mono-shock although the task to determine the proper geometry and design is daunting.

To answer Redman's question, I am not sure if the cylinder block needs to be bored or not, it may just need a little honing. There is 84K on this beast, so I will need to get someone to measure the bores to see if they are still within spec. From what I can tell they are in pretty good condition, maybe a slight bit of wear near TDC.

Block and Pistons.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Maybe restart this in nthe projects section. Can use THREAD TOOLS and the ADMINMISTRATIVE tool at the tool bar to manage removal of threads and moving of a thread.
                    Good Idea - Done!

Comment

Does anyone know the order of the bolts for the stator cover on the GS1100. I took the cover off a while back and I cant remember what order the bolts go in.

Comment

bottom left parts fiche picture shows the part number in alignment to its location. Scroll down and the part numbers 19,20,21,22 all have the size noted to measure and reference for you to verify. Don’t forget to install the locating dowel on the left

Comment

Drey6 Thank you!

Originally posted by drey6 View Post
                          https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1100g...0.html#results

bottom left parts fiche picture shows the part number in alignment to its location. Scroll down and the part numbers 19,20,21,22 all have the size noted to measure and reference for you to verify. Don’t forget to install the locating dowel on the left

Comment

Working...
                          X