No announcement yet.

Master Cylinder Non-Rebuildable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried to loosen the washer by using a socket...or similar hollow round pipe etc....place in bore against washer....and tap /hit with a hammer. At this point, what do you have to lose?

Comment

A heating with a heat gun or torch. Get some oil in there and watch as you heat. When the oil starts to bubble its hot enough. Then give it a few smack with the socket trick. Idea is to crack the rust and heat will draw the oil into the cracks and loosen it up. Other than the grove for the circlip there isnt anything that an get hurt so smack away.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

IT WORKED!!! I got a little more creative with some of your ideas and drilled a hole in the middle of the piston, drilled a screw in, and took my nail puller and with the cylinder in the vice popped the piston out.IMG_7093.jpg

Looks like the rebuild was needed.

Thanks for everyone input, one more item will get checked off tonight!

Comment

Now for the real question, is this thing OK to re-use or do I need to get a new one?
          I do not see any pitting on the inside but in the process of removing the piston I dinged up the inside a bit. No cracks but dings, here are some pics. One looks to be right below where the snap ring would be and the other 4 are from the piston, and some of the hammering which I did.
          IMG_7094.jpgThis one is right below where the snap ring would go.

Comment

This one is 1 of 4 from the pistonIMG_7095.jpg

Comment

2 and 3 from the piston... IMG_7096.jpg

Comment

and this is what created the 4 dings IMG_7097.jpg the square part of the piston.
                Sorry for the multiple posts, I just figure pics are the best way to show what is going on.

Comment

Can you dress those nicks (with a dremel maybe?) so they don't interfere with the piston going back into the bore? If you can then I say you're ok, because the pressure seal is farther down into the bore.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    Can you dress those nicks (with a dremel maybe?) so they don't interfere with the piston going back into the bore? If you can then I say you're ok, because the pressure seal is farther down into the bore.

Mark
                    Got it put back together today, thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                    X