Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs1000g starter motor, which is best Mitsuba or Nippon Denso?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000g starter motor, which is best Mitsuba or Nippon Denso?

I just took my Mitsuba starter apart and it looks to me like junk. Totally dirty and rusty. There is continuity between the housing and the positive bolt. So I thinking of replacing it with a Nippon Denso starter which is maybe easier getting spares for.

DSC_0470.jpg

Not sure what is available in your neck of the woods, but over here, we get kits from Stocker's Starters.

Kits for both starters are available.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

SM-8, $19.95, Brush Holder - Mitsuba - Stockers Starters is the place to shop for small-engine starters and repair parts!

Brush Holder - Mitsuba
      Stockers #: SM-8
      Type: New
      Replaces: Mitsuba
      Retail Price: $37.45
      Your Price: $24.95
      You Save: $12.50

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The rebuild kit includes the insulator for the electrical connection thru the case.

Mitsubas are the 4 brush motors, that I prefere to the Denso (that are 2 brush), but that is just my opinion based only on my general therory.

I would say to rebuild what you have, well, unless the commutator is worn way down and/or if bearings bad. (but are rebuild kits for bearing too).
        Or maybe you want another motor if commutator is worn some (uneven, scored) and you dont want to have to dress it up.

My cheap self says to try the $25 option before the $150 option.
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Or maybe the $150 option will be more productive.

Last edited by Redman; 04-09-2018, 05:33 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          The rebuild kit includes the insulator for the electrical connection thru the case.

Mitsubas are the 4 brush motors, that I prefere to the Denso (that are 2 brush), but that is just my opinion based only on my general therory.

Not mine, it looks like this, its a SM-229. The 4 brush one looks easier to service, I couldn't find a service kit for the 2 brush type although the one for a Goldwing 1000 looks similar. The Nippon Denso has magnets, which is good in that they are one less thing to go wrong (so long as they stay glued), but are bad in terms of power. Anyway I have got another used SM-229 on the way.

DSC_0473.jpg

Comment

Commutator looks like this, dirty but not so worn.

DSC_0469.jpg

Comment

Are you sure your starter is a Mitsuba? I just rebuilt a four brush Mitsuba and it didn't look like your starter.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the one you say you are getting:
                Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
                Stockers #: SS-21
                Type: New
                Retail Price: $224.95
                Your Price: $149.95
                You Save: $75.00
                Warranty: 1 year

Orders placed today will ship:
                Thursday, April 12, 2018
                Select Country to view shipping cost:
                Starter
                Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
                1977-1979 GS400/550/750

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth
                Replaces: SM-229

Comment

The one listed for 80 GS1000 ..... hum, the same CCW, 9 teeth... maybe some clock difference (not apparent in photos), dont know.

Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
                  Type: Remanufactured
                  Stockers #: SS-5
                  Retail Price: $209.95
                  Your Price: $139.95
                  Core Deposit: $50.00
                  Starter
                  Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
                  1980-1982 GS550
                  1981-1982 GS650E
                  1980-1983 GS750E
                  1980-1983 GS850G
                  1980-1982 GS1000
                  1980-1984 GS1100

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Comment

Cross-reffing the part number on Partzilla, the same starter fits all of those, but curiously there are gaps that I know it fits. 31100-49050 is the part number of the unit that Zuk used for just about everything for a decade and more.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Just got a 2nd hand 2 brush Mitsuba starter of ebay. it was advertised as having come off a Suzuki GSX750. It is identical to my old one (I had a look at the brushes, state of the commutator etc.) and is in very good condition. I'm now waiting for a dry day in which to fit it, damn Hamburg weather!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Cross-reffing the part number on Partzilla, the same starter fits all of those, but curiously there are gaps that I know it fits. 31100-49050 is the part number of the unit that Zuk used for just about everything for a decade and more.
                        Yep, I went down the same rabbit hole of chasing part numbers and cross-referencing once, and there are a huge number of Suzuki models with compatible starters. Basically, if it looks the same, it will almost certainly fit -- look for the two offset mounting holes at the rear.

I've never noticed much difference in reliability between the Mitsuba or ND starters. Maybe someone has some stats.

What kills GS starters is mostly corrosion, neglected valve clearances, and badly tuned carbs. If the Mystery Hole (drain hole under the starter) gets plugged with debris, the starter cavity can fill up with water. And if your valve clearances or carbs are neglected, then the engine is hard to start and the starter spends way more time than it should grinding away. A properly tuned GS should spring to life in a fraction of a second when cold; just the slightest whiff of the starter button is all that's needed.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          (...) A properly tuned GS should spring to life in a fraction of a second when cold; just the slightest whiff of the starter button is all that's needed.
                          This is what both of mine do, most of the time. Also why I quite like to kick-start them.

They do want a bit of choke though, duration depends on environmental conditions.
                          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                          X