Yosh 4-1 on a '83 GS1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yosh 4-1 on a '83 GS1100e

My son fixed up a dented Yoshimura 4-1 that I had picked up cheap, but the slip on muffler is considerably shorter than the Yosh on his '82 GS1100e, probably a foot shorter. His muffler extends just rear of the rear axle, mine is like I said about a foot shorter...any exhaust experts available to give me input on what to expect with a "shorty" pipe? Or should I cut/weld my muffler section to match my sons? Performance is more important to me than looks, but I'd just as soon not have to cut weld if it won't really make much performance difference. I think header length is the more important performance parameter, but is overall length also important???
    '82 & '83 GS1100e

I've been looking for a Yosh replacement can for over a year. Tough to find. A free flowing slip on type muffler should all be close to the same as far as performance. Cone Engineering has a good selection of slip ons and I saw a very nice Yosh styled version on Webike/Japan. With the exchange rate, the Webike version wasn't priced to bad, closest I've seen to a Yosh but still not cheap.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

my question is about the overall system length, I have an original Yosh can that my son polished up for me, but it's mounted on a rear pipe section(part that slips on header) that is shorter than my son's Yosh system. Did Yoshimura make different length systems(i.e., a "shorty") or has this one been modified, and what would be the best setup? I rather like the look of the shorty, it ends just rear of pass pegs, while my son's ends just rear of rear axle. Which is right, and what might be the performance difference?
      '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

I’d imagine that performance difference would be minimal, if even noticeable. Probably a noise difference though.
        i have the "long" one that ends at the axle. I have pictures of it opened up if you need.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

shorty yosh

here's the shorty...009.jpg...still have to rivet on the yoshimura emblem like on the other bike I'm posting which do you like better and/or which is "correct"?
          '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

longy yosh

010.jpg...here's the other Yoshimura on my son's GS1100e...which is best??? Is it sacrilege to go with the shorty??? He wants me to restore the shorty to original...but did Yosh make a shorty???
            '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Looks like a section was taken out of the mid pipe, then it was welded back together. I thought you referring to the canister itself being shortened.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yeah, it appears that the only difference is the mid-pipe. Shouldn't make any difference in performance.
                Couldn't tell you which one is more "correct" than the other.

I hope something like that doesn't affect performance. We added a mid-pipe to my son's bike recently. We are also in the process of changing engine gaskets, so haven't had a chance to run the bike to see if there was any change.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X