Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

I live in Winters,CA. and I will be riding my Motobecane bicycle from here to St. Clair Shores,MI. on May 1st 2018 to pick-up my 1982' Suzuki GS450TXZ and then ride the GS back to Winters,CA.

Good luck to you! I rode my 1100g to Ontario, Canada in August of 2016 and it was a nice trip. Be sure to take and share some pictures.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Sweet. How long do you think it'll take, round trip?
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I'm thinking it will take 4-5 weeks by bicycle to MI.(I'm in my 'young 60's' so going with 'Long Slow Distance' ) then I will get the GS450 ready for the road and make all the necessary adjustments and fine tuning.The DMV told me that I will need to get an initial smog check by them when I arrive in CA. using my one way trip permit that I bought from the DMV here in CA.;they won't let me register the bike in CA. until they verify smog..,I better remove the plugs from the pilot screws when I clean the carbs. so I can lean the bike out later if needed.I think a total of almost 2 months,good adventure time. I plan on riding the Google Maps 'bicycle route' out to MI. and then take I.80 back to CA. on the GS.I can take a couple pics on my smart phone then upload them later to the forum.
        Last edited by grcamna2; 04-17-2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

if you take Rt66 through Albuquerque, you're welcome or stay here.

Check out https://www.warmshowers.org/ Its couch surfing for touring cyclists. I've been a host for like 15 years and met all sorts of cool people.

these maps are what most of the cyclists seem to use https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...route-network/
          Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 04-16-2018, 11:51 PM.
          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
            if you take Rt66 through Albuquerque, you're welcome or stay here.

Check out https://www.warmshowers.org/users/vanis13 Its couch surfing for touring cyclists. I've been a host for like 15 years and met all sorts of cool people.

these maps are what most of the cyclists seem to use https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...route-network/
            I appreciate that info Andrew

Comment

watch the video on that map link, gives a really good overview of what is on them. I wonder if they are avail used on ebay or somewhere.
              1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
              1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
              1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

California smog check for a motorcycle? I've never seen that, but I've had them check the vin and motor serial number, they could care less if it had any other parts or even if it works. If anything looks odd they will send you over to the CHP for inspection, again it's just for frame Vin and motor serial number check.
                1981 Suzuki GS250T
                1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                1985 Suzuki GS550E
                2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                  California smog check for a motorcycle? I've never seen that, but I've had them check the vin and motor serial number, they could care less if it had any other parts or even if it works. If anything looks odd they will send you over to the CHP for inspection, again it's just for frame Vin and motor serial number check.
                  I've registered two bikes (GS's) in California from out of state and the only thing they did was walk out side with me and verify the engine and frame numbers. They never mentioned smog on either one. I wouldn't loose sleep over this.........

My son used "Warmshowers" on his bicycle trip from far Northern California to Mexico in 2013 and he had a wonderful experience with his hosts.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    I've registered two bikes (GS's) in California from out of state and the only thing they did was walk out side with me and verify the engine and frame numbers. They never mentioned smog on either one. I wouldn't loose sleep over this.........

My son used "Warmshowers" on his bicycle trip from far Northern California to Mexico in 2013 and he had a wonderful experience with his hosts.
                    I appreciate hearing that a smog check isn't a priority for bikes here in CA.,the DMV book says they're exempt,someone in the DMV said something that messed me up on that,thanks.I also appreciate that info about that website:getting clean and sleep on this long bicycle trip is very important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                      ok,thanks Mike

Comment

Sounds like an adventure.

if you add to the adventure, going either way, by taking ferry across Lake Michigan (Milwaukee Muskegon), you will be going bye here.

what do you know about this 82 gs......? To have confidence in its reliability...?
                        Maybe (har har har) disassemble the bicycle to take with you as backup.....?
                        Last edited by Redman; 04-17-2018, 05:22 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You know that you could fly to Michigan........right ? There is no way on this earth I would, or could, ride a bicycle across the country. Good Luck to you !!
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

May first.
                            hum.. you may want to take 3 or maybe 4 weeks to go east before turn north to Michigan (Detroit area).

maybe by then might have temps near 70.
                            ( now is unseasonably cold, highs in low 30, freezing sleet)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The ferry is in Manitowoc Wisconsin and goes to Ludington MI. Around 3 1/2 hrs to cross Lake Michigan. You can get a cabin ticket which has a bed so you can snooze or hang out topside on the front deck. I took my cycle across once and was happy for the time and milage saved. The Badger isa coal fired reic if yur into sailing on an old ship fro way back in the day.

Relax aboard a historic steamship car ferry. Over 2.5 million passengers served, connecting Manitowoc WI to Ludington MI. Explore the SS Badger today.

And there is a "fast" ferry too...

Lake Michigan's high speed auto passenger ferry. Milwaukee, WI to Muskegon, MI. Take the Lake Michigan shortcut and avoid Chicago Traffic.
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-17-2018, 05:13 PM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X