Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
    ..... .... ... .... .... .. ... ... Thanks to all of you for being there. Bill
    It does seem like lots of folks helped you out. And they would like to hear more of your adventures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Which state would you like me to mention first ?

Comment

How about just tell the story from start to finish
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Which state would you like me to mention first ?
          Seem that you might have 3 or 4 or more storys of what happened, what you did, in Detroit, and some storys of folks that helped you out there in Detroit. That could be 2 or 3 or more postings right there.

And each day, each state, of your cross country return trip, might have a story, some days more than others. I understand that Some days you traveled through, and two or three days you had some roadside/parkinglot repair that some folks helped you with.

I am just saying that it seems that there are folks here that are intersted to hear more of your adventure.

Last edited by Redman; 07-04-2018, 08:31 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well, in Michigan I did mention everyone who helped me earlier in this thread. There was Steve Conlan who let me borrow tools and gave me rides, there was you Dave who sent me two pairs of gloves and Dale who helped me out a few times by building me the trailer hitch, multiple other mechanical tasks including a valve adjustment plus picking my bike up from St. Clair Shores and bringing me back there with his trailer, and Mista M who gave me a helmet and regulator: thanks again all you wonderful Michigan GSR members !

Comment

When I left Michigan on June 15 I drove south into OH and then picked up I80 West and just kept on riding. I slept in a sleeping bag in Rest areas along the highway.

I havent met any other GSR members since I left Michigan.

I just found rest stops, went to sleep, got up and fueled up, etc. I did need to replace my regulator in Wyoming and a maintenance man at the American Legion in Rock Springs,Wy. Gave me a ride to 3 motorcycle dealerships to see if they had a replacement but none of them did. I then installed the used one I received from Mista M and it works nice. I drove through the remainder of WY and Utah with no breakdowns. I got into NV and noticed the weak(both cracked..)spark plug caps and wore out 530 drive chain but it was on a Sunday and the 3 auto parts store didn't have the parts. I then limped at 45mph until I got to Reno and bought a new RK drive chain and plug caps and was able to complete my journey home,i had to tighten the ball hitch a couple times but otherwise the trailer rode great. I kept the rpms between 5-6K the whole time, never went less than 40mph or went lower than 3rd gear, the bike/trailer was happiest between 55-60mph.A worthy adventure
              Last edited by grcamna2; 07-05-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I'll have to admit, if it where me I'd want some form of brakes on the trailer and have in fact been considering a trailer project mated to a bike for about a decade now. Am surprised the 450 had enough torque to move the load well, the little engine that could.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  I'll have to admit, if it where me I'd want some form of brakes on the trailer and have in fact been considering a trailer project mated to a bike for about a decade now. Am surprised the 450 had enough torque to move the load well, the little engine that could.
                  The GS450 had enough torque as long as I kept the revs above 5K it just motored on. When I was on the road pulling the trailer(around 700lbs gross)i was scanning far ahead so I could stop in time. I would upgrade to a GS650 front end of I was going to do that again.

I need another back wheel: Does anyone have a good GS400 back wheel you can sell to me?

Comment

The GS450 has a good,stiff frame and handles well.I want to install some good,used oem GS850 rear shocks which I was told will fit and be an improvement.

Comment

The GS450 has a good,stiff frame and handles well.I want to install some good,used oem GS850 rear shocks which I was told will fit and be an improvement.
                      I'm about 200 lbs and the shocks do well with about 100lbs of gear strapped on. Took a very nice robust gal about 160lbs for a ride and mine handled it just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                        I'm about 200 lbs and the shocks do well with about 100lbs of gear strapped on. Took a very nice robust gal about 160lbs for a ride and mine handled it just fine.
                        Did you install GS850 rear shocks or are you speaking about the stock shocks ?

Comment

Did you install GS850 rear shocks or are you speaking about the stock shocks ?
                          Original to the bike shocks, assumed to be factory 450.

Comment

Personally, I'm both amazed and surprised the 450 motor survived such an endurance test. Especially in light of it being around 30 yrs old. In-friggin-credible!!
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                              Personally, I'm both amazed and surprised the 450 motor survived such an endurance test. Especially in light of it being around 30 yrs old. In-friggin-credible!!
                              The engine and trans are in excellent condition on my 450. I made sure to keep it in an easy gear ratio and the rpm's between 5-6 thousand where it had lots of pulling torque;then I just put the nice GS engine to the task. The GS450 is a strong,understressed twin with 9.0:1 CR and sure, it got hot, but not too hot. I made sure of that.

Comment

Reviving this thread...

Not sure what I was doing in 2018 that I did not click on this thread.

RustyBronco! Great job setting up that bracket for the HF trailer...I have the same one and noticed it was lowered (inverting the suspension).

Lots of people helped along the way...or at least offered lodging, which was cool of people.

Thanks Redman for posting pics sent from Bill.

Bill, before you deleted the other thread, someone mentioned how this thread was a bit romantic of an adventure. I can't remember who...

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X