Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bicycling from CA. to MI. to pick up my 1982' GS450T then drive it back to CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    Since my 2003 B12 is not a Cali model, you're telling me it is illegal to ride in California?
    No, but it couldn't be sold new here.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
      No, but it couldn't be sold new here.
      Correct. The vehicle must have something like 8000 miles or more or they may block CA registration.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Looking forward to your pictures of this trip. Good on you for being up for it. i struggle to ride my 7 mile route I take in the summer when I first get going each year.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I went on a bicycle trip across the state, Lake Michigan to Lake Huron, 50-70 miles per day, 6 days, camped in school yards along the way.
          On the last day, we were reunited with our van in the parking lot.
          Oh, it was such a great feeling to get in the van, start engine, put it in gear, hey, we are moving, I am just sitting here, not pedaling, but we are moving, Not Pedaling, are moving, NOT pedaling, hey!
          I suspect you may have a similar experience.
          Last edited by Redman; 04-18-2018, 03:21 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Correct. The vehicle must have something like 8000 miles or more or they may block CA registration.
            Yeah to keep people from circumventing the CARB requirements for vehicles sold in califronia. At least as easily. But since he's importing a bike into the state he's good to go. Doesn't have to have to meet CA requirements any more than any other used 49 state vehicle brought into Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              I went on a bicycle trip across the state, Lake Michigan to Lake Huron, 50-70 miles per day, 6 days, camped in school yards along the way.
              On the last day, we were reunited with our van in the parking lot.
              Oh, it was such a great feeling to get in the van, start engine, put it in gear, hey, we are moving, I am just sitting here, not pedaling, but we are moving, Not Pedaling, are moving, NOT pedaling, hey!
              I suspect you may have a similar experience.
              HA!!! [+10 characters]
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Wow! What an epic adventure! I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

Not to be a downer, but there are parts of that route around the south side of Chicago that I wouldn't drive through even armed much less ride a bike through.

Maybe call an Uber about the time you cross I-57 and have them drop you on the other side of Gary IN

Outside of that it looks like an amazing trip and I can't wait to follow along. Wish I was closer to the route so I could offer assistance or lodging if needed.
                Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                  Imagine all the "whispering" you'd need to do if you were without full face helmet & moving at that place... It'd take you a year to get there
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Imagine all the "whispering" you'd need to do if you were without full face helmet & moving at that place... It'd take you a year to get there
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      Looking forward to your pictures of this trip. Good on you for being up for it. i struggle to ride my 7 mile route I take in the summer when I first get going each year.
                      Oh,I'll be struggling for sure but keeping it in the lower gears and tell myself "go easy", "enjoy the ride" The more I relax,the easier the whole ride will be;I need to get a few miles under me and then it'll come natural,kind of..
                      I have suffered on a bicycle in the past but not lately,this time out I'm Sure I'll suffer.I hope to find low-stress situations when i stop every evening to sleep and then do my best to avoid the ones that come my way on the road..
                      Last edited by grcamna2; 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post

Not to be a downer, but there are parts of that route around the south side of Chicago that I wouldn't drive through even armed much less ride a bike through.

Maybe call an Uber about the time you cross I-57 and have them drop you on the other side of Gary IN

Outside of that it looks like an amazing trip and I can't wait to follow along. Wish I was closer to the route so I could offer assistance or lodging if needed.
                        I appreciate this info,I may want to choose an alternate route around the area

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                          Hmm, i used to live there and I bet you wouldn't be the first cyclist through there....if you listen to all the possible scary what-ifs you'll stay on your couch - oh! did I say heart disease form lack of activity ;-)
                          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

...............,I may want to choose an alternate route around the area
                            Like maybe further south, like a lot further south, before head north.
                            Still had about 100% snow cover 2 days ago. Melting yesterday and today.
                            High temp tomorrow of 50, but 32 in morning.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I think this caution is overstated. I can speak for the Indiana side and it's quite transformed since the 1970s. Much of the old industrial sites have been restored to natural and purchased by the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Park, with bicycle trails just for your kind of journey.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                                I think this caution is overstated. I can speak for the Indiana side and it's quite transformed since the 1970s. Much of the old industrial sites have been restored to natural and purchased by the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Park, with bicycle trails just for your kind of journey.
                                Thanks Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X