Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing original paint from sidecovers etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing original paint from sidecovers etc.

In the not too distant future, I'll be wanting to get a new paint job. The current livery is original but rather faded, so I plan to have the same OEM colour replicated.
    My question relates to the plastics i.e. side covers and tail section. What is the best method of removing the original paint from these ABS(?) plastics? Anyone else done this?
    TIA

Attached Files
    Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
    Previously owned...
    01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
    71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
    75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
    BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Originally posted by Himble View Post
    In the not too distant future, I'll be wanting to get a new paint job. The current livery is original but rather faded, so I plan to have the same OEM colour replicated.
    My question relates to the plastics i.e. side covers and tail section. What is the best method of removing the original paint from these ABS(?) plastics? Anyone else done this?
    TIA

If the paint is still intact and not flaking, why would you need to remove it? Any minor imperfections can be smoothed out with a light skin of filler and the rest lightly scuffed for good paint adhesion. I can see if it has been painted multiple times of your not sure what type of paint is on there, but even then it can be sprayed with a sealer first, then painted with whatever type of paint you choose.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Rick. I have tried the scuff and cover and have had reactions between the old VS new..kinda spider webbed all over the place. After sanding down to raw plastic it didn't react. Im no painting expert, but to me it seems the extra effort to sand them clean is far better than redoing it again after being md as heck seeing the paint curdled up.
      I use 120 and my RO electric sander and finish with some 400. Prime and paint.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just cleaned mine and sent them to a body shop to be painted. My issue ('82 GS850GL) with the side covers is that the two tone color from the factory was by way of a vinyl decal. I can't imagine that paint would stick to that. Like Chuck, I used the radom orbital with 220 grit, cleaned the adhesive residue with alcohol then hand sanded with 400. STAY AWAY from cleaning with acetone on the side covers.

My covers had large cracks in them, before paint prep I ground out the cracks into a v shape trough on both sides of the cover then brushed the crack with acetone. This 'welded' the abs plastic together. I then filled with Permatex Plastic weld. Any finish work was done with bondo finishing glaze after the initial sanding. I then pre-primed them with Duplicolor high build primer.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Rick. I have tried the scuff and cover and have had reactions between the old VS new..kinda spider webbed all over the place. After sanding down to raw plastic it didn't react. Im no painting expert, but to me it seems the extra effort to sand them clean is far better than redoing it again after being md as heck seeing the paint curdled up.
          I use 120 and my RO electric sander and finish with some 400. Prime and paint.
          If the paint is still intact and not flaking, why would you need to remove it? Any minor imperfections can be smoothed out with a light skin of filler and the rest lightly scuffed for good paint adhesion. I can see if it has been painted multiple times of your not sure what type of paint is on there, but even then it can be sprayed with a sealer first, then painted with whatever type of paint you choose.
          You need to spray a sealer on it before repainting it. It separates the two type of paints so they can't react to one another.
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I know that Rick..even tried Epoxy primers and it didn't stop everything. The only sure fire remedy is to sand it to bare base and do it. Been there done that an its a waste of time any other way from my persepctive anyway.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Himble View Post
              I........................ What is the best method of removing the original paint from these ABS(?) plastics? Anyone else done this?....
              Remove original paint from sidecovers?
              original paint? sidecovers?

THose are not painted, originally. That is the color of the plastic.

Oh, the pin stripping. THose are decals....... havent tried to remove any myself.

(PS: this section of for THE project. THe "appearance" section would be good for such a posting.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Not wanting to argue, but you wont find any body shop that will strip everything it paints down to the base surface. Too time consuming and impractical. Some project that need extensive body work maybe, but for general practice a sealer is applied. At least that is what I was taught at a community collage where I took the class to work on my pick up back in the early 90's. I'm sure one of our painters will chime in soon.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I know that Rick..even tried Epoxy primers and it didn't stop everything. The only sure fire remedy is to sand it to bare base and do it. Been there done that an its a waste of time any other way from my persepctive anyway.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Im not arguing. Im stating my own experience and what I did about it that resolved all issues.

Comment

I repainted some Kawasaki EX500 fairing panels one time and got crazing. Used epoxy primer over the old paint on that project but didn't strip the panel. After reading further on the subject the recommendation was to dust on the initial paint layers very light and dry and allow plenty of flash-off time between coats. It was a slow process but using this method I was able to get the paint down without issues.

That said, given my druthers I'd rather strip the panel since it's guaranteed to work. That's what I wound up doing for my KZ750 and everything turned out well. Used a DA w/150 grit paper (or something close to that.) Followed with 220 and then shot a couple three layers of epoxy on top, followed by blocking that back. Some people don't like using epoxy like that but I find it works fine.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've had paint reactions before & definitely had them from rushing to get stuff done (putting too much paint on with not enough time in between). I am strictly a rattle can amateur though.... (although my results with them are reasonable). I've never used a sealer. On my GS1000 I used 2000 Grit to sand them back & then cutting polish to get them back to a shine & restore the plastic colour
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, and apologies for posting in the wrong section...not too sure how that happened?
                        I'll contact an Admin and see if I can get this thread moved to "Appearance".

EDIT: Found I can do it myself! Moved!!
                        Last edited by Himble; 04-20-2018, 02:39 AM.
                        Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
                        Previously owned...
                        01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
                        71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
                        75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
                        BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Comment

I'm in the "sand it down to bare plastic" camp. It's only a pair of side covers, and it solves every "what if" scenario as far as negative reactions. An orbital sander makes short work out of it. If you have to do it by hand start with something that cuts quickly, like 180, prime, sand with 400, good to go.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

When I stripped the plastic parts on my XS1100 I used lacquer thinner and a clean terry cloth rag. I kept the rag wet with thinner and just rubbed until the paint starting coming off. It took some time and a good bit of rubbing, but the covers were clean, smooth, and ready for paint. Get good gloves and work in a well ventilated area.

Comment

Something I plan on trying in the future is fixing my original clear coat (I like the color but want to be able to change it from time to time) and lay on a thick-ass layer of white plasti-dip. That can be painted over with just about anything and still be able to peel up.

I will be able to experiment with whatever plasti colors I want, then when I want a classy automotive coating I can.

"Damn, I miss that old blue! The color it was when I rode it to the hospital as my wife was in labor..."
                              "HEY! I can peel all this junk off and revel in it's beauty!!"

Hahaha anyone want to argue some negatives to this? Bring it on, I like the idea lol

Comment

Working...
                              X