Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GL Stock with Pod Filters Question

Hello all,

First time here posting and GS owner. I have a 1982 GS1100GL that I'm fixing up and can't wait to ride. I gave it a bath from sitting in a dusty garage oxidizing for years. I have title from original owner. Got the frame/engine degreased and chrome shiny again. Rebuilt the carbs with stock jets sizes or at least they are the same ones that I pulled out. New Fuel/vacuum/drain lines. New spark Plugs, Fresh fluids. New tires. Master cylinder rebuilt. New Battery. I know get to the point right? Ok.

I have the original air box and the foam filter just fell apart in my hands as well as all the foam seals on the left and right covers. I found the OEM filter for $50 but can't seam to find the foam for covers. I read that the box shouldn't leak air. Without the side cover foam I don't know how to fix that. I've seen pics and youtube videos with individual pod filters and said thats easy I'll just buy Pod filters. Then I read that jetting may be required, after i just rebuilt carbs for $100. Now I'm stuck on how do I fix the stock air box foam seals on each cover or do I just buy pod filters and hope that it works without buying more jets.

I guess the real question after all this is if EVERYTHING IS STOCK except pod filters do I need to rejet? Some forums say no if its only air filters that has changed then some say yes. I just hate that after rebuilding the carbs for $100 and then the air box cover foam fell apart and I can't find the part. Its like its forcing me to buy pods and buy new jets... and lastly if worse comes to worse and i have to buy new jets for pods than Which jets needs to be replaced and what size? I live in Atlanta area and plan on just casual local riding on highways and some interstate. Just some environment and type of riding info. Thanks for info in advance!

It will not ever work properly with pod filters unless you rejet, period. I think that some guys use weatherstripping foam to seal the airbox instead of the factory pieces, but I'm not familiar with your GL airbox set up and don't know if that will work or not. Have you checked with a dealer to see if the foam pieces are still available?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I haven’t checked with dealer yet. For less than $5 I’ll give the weatherstripping a try.

Comment

Ok everyone, I bought weatherstripping for airbox and filter holder. Seemed to be the trick. Waiting on my UNI filter to come in the mail. Once I oil it up and install the bike will be ready to start for the first time that I’ve had it. Will keep you updated on how it runs with carbs rebuilt with stock jets.

Comment

Working...
        X