New project finally 1982 GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project finally 1982 GS1100GK

Finally found me a new GS project. Its an 82 with 33,000 miles. Has been sitting for almost 20 years. Going to remove the fairing and bags. Maybe mild customization. Biggest concern right now is the seat pan. Very rusty with some good size holes in it. Couldn't find any on fleabay. Will it interchange with other bikes?

Pictures. Want Pictures.

Sitting for 20 years. Ah, that will present some challenges.

Maybe you know, but, Basic thing you will needed to know about GK: Is basically a GS1100G but has the fairing and bags and trunk from factory. Engine and all is same.
    About only difference, other than the obvious, is the front forks are bigger diameter and wider apart which also effects the front fender, the triple clamps and headlight mounting is not same as GS1100G. So, if removing faring and then get GS1100G (or other) headlight and front t/signals... there will be no place to mount them.
    If remove the side bags, and get GS1100G (or other) rear t/signals... there will be no place to mount them, also need to get the mounting brackets along with them.

GK Seat will interchange with gs1100g 82& after. I have tried it at a GS rally.
    GK seat& pan are narrower in the front, so cant put a GK seat cushion/cover on a G pan. But either pan mountings will fit on either bike.

Where are you located in general?

I had to look for almost 2 years to find a decent GK in the midwest that had not been dee-Kayed.

Then after that I had to look for almost another 2 years to find a decent GK seat. And that was after I found one that looked good and seemed good, but the mounting stuff on the front ripped out of the pan.

Last edited by Redman; 05-06-2018, 08:44 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Pictures

Thanks so much Redman. That really clarifies a lot for me. I couldn't pas her up. Out of the CA DMV system and neither the engine or carbs are froze up. Plus it was cheap.
      Attached Files

Comment

Pictures

I'm in central CA. About 45min south of Sacramento.IMG_0485.jpg

Comment

My friend also gave me what left of a GS850 to pull parts from. No idea of the year. The vin is GS850-103242. Not sure if it will be much help since I can't figure out what year it is.

Comment

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
            My friend also gave me what left of a GS850 to pull parts from. No idea of the year. The vin is GS850-103242. Not sure if it will be much help since I can't figure out what year it is.
            If it's less than a 17-digit VIN, it's before the '81 model year. That leaves only '79 and '80.

To decide between those two, look on the right side. Is there a kick start lever? That was '79 only.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. It's not going to help me as much as I had hoped, but I can snag a few pieces from it.

Comment

The beast lives! Had it running for about a min today. Still lots of work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Pictures. Want Pictures.

Sitting for 20 years. Ah, that will present some challenges.

Maybe you know, but, Basic thing you will needed to know about GK: Is basically a GS1100G but has the fairing and bags and trunk from factory. Engine and all is same.
                  About only difference, other than the obvious, is the front forks are bigger diameter and wider apart which also effects the front fender, the triple clamps and headlight mounting is not same as GS1100G. So, if removing faring and then get GS1100G (or other) headlight and front t/signals... there will be no place to mount them.
                  If remove the side bags, and get GS1100G (or other) rear t/signals... there will be no place to mount them, also need to get the mounting brackets along with them.

GK Seat will interchange with gs1100g 82& after. I have tried it at a GS rally.
                  GK seat& pan are narrower in the front, so cant put a GK seat cushion/cover on a G pan. But either pan mountings will fit on either bike.

Where are you located in general?

I had to look for almost 2 years to find a decent GK in the midwest that had not been dee-Kayed.

Then after that I had to look for almost another 2 years to find a decent GK seat. And that was after I found one that looked good and seemed good, but the mounting stuff on the front ripped out of the pan.

What would you say about GK luggage on a 1100G? Will it bolt on? My brother wants hard luggage for his 1982.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    What would you say about GK luggage on a 1100G? Will it bolt on? My brother wants hard luggage for his 1982.
                    The rear bags and trunk mount to 3 points on each side:
                    - top shock stud. Which the G should have in the same place. And I would guess is long enough to add another thing to.
                    - behind the passenger peg where the muffler is also mounted. I suppose the G has such a place, but I dont know if is in the same place. I have seen some comments that the GK exhaust is different thatn the G to allow more room for the side bags, and maybe, maybe, that means this mounting point is in a somewhat different location.
                    - A threaded hole in a tab off the back of the frame, in about the area where on a G a bigger bracket mounts for the rear t/signals would mount. So might have to fab something for that.

So, in general, I do not really know from experience, but seems that in general will be the appropriate size, just may not be exact mating in 1 or 2 of the 3 places on each side, and may require some fab work. And extend the t/signal wiring into the bags.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

..... .... ... ... ... ... ... .
                      Your PM is full. PM to you bombs out.

>>later note
                      And now:
                      Email failed to deliver
                      Recipient: <pablouin@oregoncoast.com>
                      Reason: No Such User Here

END QUOTE
                      Last edited by Redman; 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM. Reason: add later note

Comment

The basic frame was the same between the 1100G and the 1100GK, especially at the rear. It took just a small piece of flat steel to adapt the lower saddlebag mounts to my '80 850G, so that would probably be the worst thing, if you even have to do that. There is a brace that goes down and forward from the lower mounts. On the GK, it bolts to an extra hole on the back of the longer footpeg/muffler mounts. Those mounts will probably bolt right up to your G. I had to have a tab welded to my frame to accomodate them.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have seen some comments that the GK exhaust is different than the G to allow more room for the side bags, and maybe, maybe, that means this mounting point is in a somewhat different location.
                          I've got the exhaust from my G parts bike on my GK. If it was different in any way, I didn't notice.

Comment

IMG_0485.jpgThought I'd rotate that for ya.

Comment

IMG_0486.jpgOne more.

Comment

Working...
                              X