smoke coming from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoke coming from engine

I just put my bike back together after rebuilding the carbs, adjusted the valves (2 shims), changed the head gasket, and updated to a Dynatek ignition. After warming up my bike for a little, I noticed (i believe) white/greyish smoke coming from the exhaust. I also noticed the top of my engine was smoking, but it was more like a haze. I couldn't tell where it was exactly coming from.

Was the smoke from the top engine from the new gasket settling in, or do I have a more serious problem? I figured I'd ask on here instead of continuing running my bike like that and cause further damage.

good that is running after that work and modification.

about smoke-fog near top of engine: you have the tube from cam cover breather to the air box....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      good that is running after that work and modification.about smoke-fog near top of engine: you have the tube from cam cover breather to the air box....?
      It ran before I did all the work, I just rebuilt/adjusted things over winter. It ran 2 weeks ago before I got the new ignition system, but it was outside so maybe I didn’t notice the smoke (I noticed the smoke last night in my garage).

yes, the breather hose is attached to the airbox

Comment

Did you use anything on the new gasket? I soak my valve cover gasket in WD-40 prior to installing. It makes the next removal real easy and also makes it possible to reuse the gasket, but it tends to weep a bit and I'll see some smoke.

If there is any oil on the engine that will smoke, kinda obvious just thinking out loud. Some engine de-greasers and cleaning products if not washed off will smoke too. Did you clean off the engine recently?

You mentioned the head gasket, did you change the base gasket as well? Maybe a bit of oil weeping down there.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Did you use anything on the new gasket? I soak my valve cover gasket in WD-40 prior to installing. It makes the next removal real easy and also makes it possible to reuse the gasket, but it tends to weep a bit and I'll see some smoke.

If there is any oil on the engine that will smoke, kinda obvious just thinking out loud. Some engine de-greasers and cleaning products if not washed off will smoke too. Did you clean off the engine recently?

You mentioned the head gasket, did you change the base gasket as well? Maybe a bit of oil weeping down there.
          No I didn't use anything for the gasket, dry as a bone when I put it on. I should try the WD-40 next time though.

I did clean the cylinder head cover when I had it off and cleaned around the engine fins since I had access to them with cleaning products. Maybe it's from that. I just wish I knew specifically where the smoke was coming from. I really don't want to keep running it just to find out.

No I didn't change the cylinder head gasket, didn't need it.

Comment

Hopefully just residual oil on the head and exhaust burning off.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
            X