Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS450 Chain replacement suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450 Chain replacement suggestions?

The chain on my 1980 GS450 was completely rusted, so I removed it and now need to buy a replacement. Any suggestions for a good brand and the right size?

Thanks!

If the chain was rusted that badly it would probably be a good idea to change the sprockets as well.
    16t/45t-530 chain.
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

**DO YOUR SPROCKETS AT THE SAME TIME AS THE CHAIN** - re-using one of these items will cause the new part to wear out faster

I bought an x-ring chain from ebay and new sprockets from bikebandit for roughly $100, and it made a big difference in drivability. Don't overthink this one too much, as these are smaller bikes and the stock chain size is *probably* overkill. You'll get more miles from the same chain on a 450 versus an 850 or 1000cc bike.

One thought, if you plan on doing this yourself you may want to look at what kind of primary link the chain comes with. Some of them have a c-clip that's relatively easy to remove, while others have a rivet-style link that needs a special tool to install/remove.

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
        **DO YOUR SPROCKETS AT THE SAME TIME AS THE CHAIN** - re-using one of these items will cause the new part to wear out faster

I bought an x-ring chain from ebay and new sprockets from bikebandit for roughly $100, and it made a big difference in drivability. Don't overthink this one too much, as these are smaller bikes and the stock chain size is *probably* overkill. You'll get more miles from the same chain on a 450 versus an 850 or 1000cc bike.

One thought, if you plan on doing this yourself you may want to look at what kind of primary link the chain comes with. Some of them have a c-clip that's relatively easy to remove, while others have a rivet-style link that needs a special tool to install/remove.
        The EK x ring chains [Enuma Chain Co] should/usually come with a link that screws together and the threaded part snaps off afterward. Way easy.

Breaking the chain to the right length can be a challenge as they're pretty sturdy now. I just grind the pins flush and even then you have to work to punch them out.

X rings are much better than the old O rings. I don't see C clip links on X ring chains; maybe....?? EK chains seem to be just as good as any others.

You can also switch to 520 chain if you do the sprockets too, but you have to find the right sprockets to fit; GS500 maybe?? . The only advantage that I can see is weight.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Rule #1 always applies. You get what you pay for. The cost of the chain will be in proportion to it's strength & quality. Buy a cheapie.....get a cheapie.

Comment

Working...
          X