Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs650 2nd gear issue

Hello,

i picked up up a basket case 81 gs650. I got it running and took it out for its first ride. Seems to be an issue with 2nd gear. I shift to first, no issues. Second low rpms is fine. If I accelerate it start clanking and knocking and pops into 3rd. Other gears seem to be fine. Any suggestions?

Actual failures are rather rare, I would guess that the shift forks might be bent, not allowing the gears to fully engage.

Someone who has actually been that far into the engine and gearbox might be able to provide better information.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When you're in 5th, does it stay there? This transmission is an oddball as 2 nd gear slides and locks up to get 5th. (Clutch input is locked to trans output.) i don't really use second much, so unless you are ambitious, I'd leave it be for now and find out what else is wrong!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello from 2021! Did you ever solve this problem? I recently split my case to investigate the same problem and as far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the forks.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceJellyfish View Post
          Hello from 2021! Did you ever solve this problem? I recently split my case to investigate the same problem and as far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the forks.
          Then have a good look at the dogs on the gear ends. If there's rounding on the edges that'll let them ride out of engagement.
          The dogs can be built up and recut.
          Also check the endfloat on the selector drum. Too much can again let the dogs come out of engagement.

Comment

Working...
          X