Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust seized pistons, best mixtures to use to free, and ATF questions

Rust takes up a lot of space, expanding to wedge components in place. Aluminum oxide does the same thing, and forms when rust and water touch aluminum. Oil, including penetrating oil, does not get rid of metal oxides. I would not dare use electrolysis given the metal pairing. Nor would I use vinegar, naval gelly or any strong base, again for the sake of aluminum.

If I were faced with heavily rust seized pistons I would pour a chelating agent down the bores and let it sit nice and cozy over a hot light bulb. The stuff they sell where I live is Metal Rescue. Surface prep involves degreasing because this is an aqueous solution. Dilution and temperature have to be correct.

The big ends, wrist pins, and every bearing in the bottom end are presumably rust seized as well. I am unsure as to the best way of degreasing and derusting a sump. If I had the space and budget I would get a rotating engine stand.

Gradual even heating, as opposed to a blowtorch, should be used to expand the block. New penetrating oil may be reapplied. You can shrink pistons down relative to the hot bore by cooling them.

Then you get to have some fun with a block of wood and a hammer.

Hard to imagine this thread without the mention of "Marvel Mystery Oil". It seems like forever, anytime the words seized or stuck eng. came out, "Marvel Mystery Oil" was the go to remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Hard to imagine this thread without the mention of "Marvel Mystery Oil". It seems like forever, anytime the words seized or stuck eng. came out, "Marvel Mystery Oil" was the go to remedy.
    Same for Coca Cola, the old timers didn't need $15 a can chemicals to do what they had on hand did just as well.

Hard to imagine that he is still looking for a solution, since the thread was started in June!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!

1978 GS750EC - Nov. 2017 BOTM - Sold
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1983 GS1100E
    1978 GS1000E - Sold
    1981 GS1100E - very slow work in progress!
    1985 GS550E - might never get to it!