No announcement yet.

'82 GS 750TZ-Lets get this charging system sorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the ES stator shows the "gland" in the pic. Think I'll go with that one.
    I'm planning on changing the oil, but I wasn't going to do it until after I get the Battery/Stator/Series RR SH775/SPG/ x the headlamp loop taken care of. Thanks for sticking with me posplayr. Or can I call you Jim. Actually, I think Sensei is more apt.
    stator.jpg
    edit:
    the bikebandit fiche for the '82 GS750E and the '82 GS750T show the same manuf. part # for the stator assembly: 31401-45120
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-29-2018, 08:05 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      the ES stator shows the "gland" in the pic. Think I'll go with that one.
      I'm planning on changing the oil, but I wasn't going to do it until after I get the Battery/Stator/Series RR SH775/SPG/ x the headlamp loop taken care of. Thanks for sticking with me posplayr. Or can I call you Jim. Actually, I think Sensei is more apt.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]55492[/ATTACH]
      edit:
      the bikebandit fiche for the '82 GS750E and the '82 GS750T show the same manuf. part # for the stator assembly: 31401-45120
      Looks good, you can also check the Es website they will specify all model compatible with your bike.
      use some deoxit on all bare metal where you are stacking connections/ring lugs. The SH775 is much less sensitive but you still want as close to. Fill 14.5v at the battery for faster battery recovery after starting. Yes i’m Jim

Comment

"Fill 14.5v at the battery for faster battery recovery after starting"
        I'm not sure what this means

and I suppose I’m going to need a stator cover gasket? OEM from Bikebandit or is there something else? Hate paying BB shipping.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-29-2018, 09:04 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Found this on Amazon. I'm getting conflicting info. Amazon listing says it will not fit my bike but does fit the 750E. Anyone know for sure? I have emailed the question to ES since they don't list a stator for the 750T.
          IMG_0144.jpg
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Found this on Amazon. I'm getting conflicting info. Amazon listing says it will not fit my bike but does fit the 750E. Anyone know for sure? I have emailed the question to ES since they don't list a stator for the 750T.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]55493[/ATTACH]
            To my knowledge the T and E are the virtually the same with same engine

Comment

Awaiting stator, gasket and replacement screws for some that were buggered inside the stator cover. While I’m waiting, I’m going through my Clymer manual and find this. DB21EAD3-423F-4631-90D1-B579961E1950.jpg
              Is Bond No. 4 some type of RTV compound? Is it necessary? I put a gasket there years ago when I changed the starter motor and it never leaked.

Also, I plan to use anti seize on the cover bolts when I put the cover back on. Is it ok to use anti seize on the 3 stator screws and stator wire clip screws inside the cover (in oil)? Don’t know why it wouldn’t be. But I’ve never use the stuff before. So I’m asking the experts.

Edit: caption reads: “Apply a thin layer if Bond No. 4 approximately 1 in. on each side of the crankcase seam behind the alternator cover.”
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-05-2018, 12:22 AM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

You should get a JIS screwdriver set to reuse the existing screws or get some stainless hex cap screws. Use anti-seize for stainless in aluminum(also apply sparingly)

I don't recall the exact product suggested for Suzuki but these are several equivalents like Yamabond

Comment

The Suzuki No 4 is NLA. I found Hondabond HT, Hondaond 4, many things by Threebond on Amazon or this Permatex 29132.permatex.jpg
                  I'm guessing that which one doesn't really matter. Just pick one and use it. My question is, do I put the bond just in the 2 areas indicated in the manual AND still use the full new Rick's stator cover gasket I have on order from Bikebandit? Would this not cause an un-even thickness? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-05-2018, 08:11 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I removed my stator cover multiple times and never used any sealer...
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      I removed my stator cover multiple times and never used any sealer...
                      I'm thinking there's a gasket. Looking at IPB now.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I think I read a post somewhere here that I can put a 2x4 under the left side of the bike center stand so it tips the bike enough to remove the stator cover without first draining the oil. Did I dream this or is this possible?
                        Very possible. Note the new gasket in the second picture.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        I'm thinking there's a gasket. Looking at IPB now.
                        There is definitely a gasket, but Suzuki was advising to add a bit of sealer along with the gasket.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

You never disappoint.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks all, bike is leaning on a 2x4 ala Steve, stator is out, just waiting for my new stator, gasket and screws. I'll use some kind of goop (not sure exactly what yet but leaning to the Permatex 29132 shown above that i can get cheap from Amazon) just where the manual shows, just a smear, then the new gasket from Rick's. Then just a dab of anti seize on the cover bolts. Wire everything up to my new SH775, no more headlamp loop, SPG, test charging system to make sure I didn't botch it all, change the oil. THEN I RIDE AGAIN! (in theory)

I don't want to beat a dead horse about what sealer to use in place of the Suzuki Bond no. 4 that is NLA, but all of the descriptions of all the various sealers on the market seem so similar to me. There are a lot of threads here going back years about what goop to use where. I know everyone has their favorite and asking for opinions on which one to use, or not use, or use none at all, can instigate a p###ing contest. I really do appreciate all of the feedback. That's why I'm here. If anyone has a objection to using the Permatex 29132, please tell me why and recommend a specific alternative. If Yamabond, which one, no. 4 or no. 5, etc.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks all, bike is leaning on a 2x4 ala Steve, stator is out, just waiting for my new stator, gasket and screws. I'll use some kind of goop (not sure exactly what yet but leaning to the Permatex 29132 shown above that i can get cheap from Amazon) just where the manual shows, just a smear, then the new gasket from Rick's. Then just a dab of anti seize on the cover bolts. Wire everything up to my new SH775, no more headlamp loop, SPG, test charging system to make sure I didn't botch it all, change the oil. THEN I RIDE AGAIN! (in theory)

I don't want to beat a dead horse about what sealer to use in place of the Suzuki Bond no. 4 that is NLA, but all of the descriptions of all the various sealers on the market seem so similar to me. There are a lot of threads here going back years about what goop to use where. I know everyone has their favorite and asking for opinions on which one to use, or not use, or use none at all, can instigate a p###ing contest. I really do appreciate all of the feedback. That's why I'm here. If anyone has a objection to using the Permatex 29132, please tell me why and recommend a specific alternative. If Yamabond, which one, no. 4 or no. 5, etc.

This only works on Black motors for gasketed covers.

This is for sealing the cases (permanently)

SUZUKI BOND (1207B)BLACK 100G
                              P/N 99104-31140

Just enter the number here

Another note: The newer GS1100ED OEM stator cover gaskets have a layer of silicon on the bottom perimeter. I still added a layer of the Ultra Black around the entire p[reimter (one side only)
                              Last edited by posplayr; 07-05-2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Stator arrived. the ESG014 I bought on Amazon did, indeed, come with the rubber block/grommet/gland. Wire colors are the same as OEM and I expected them to all 3 be yellow. Should I be concerned that I didn't get what I thought I bought? Packaging looks legit. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E8...mDC3CKTxM1CwMa

While I'm waiting for the gasket, etc., I decided to test fit the rubber block in the cover and it stands proud of the cover surface compared to the original (top pic) even with me pressing on it with my thumb as hard as I can.IMG_3696.jpg
                                Can I count on this squishing flush when I tighten the cover bolts or is this doomed to leak? Should I try to shave it somehow? How? Don't want to F this up. One step forward, two steps back.

Or maybe I'm worried about nothing and should just put the darn thing back together and see what happens.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                                X