No announcement yet.

'82 GS 750TZ-Lets get this charging system sorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The block should compress, you cut it down it will probably leak.

Comment

Thanks Jim. That's what I needed to hear.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Well I've got everything buttoned up and before I post new Quick Test numbers, I think I may need a new/different battery charger/maintainer. I have been using this Walmart cheapo for years.
        [IMG][/IMG]
        I Had the new battery charging for 2 days. It seems to have quit at 12.5v. Battery is new and also a cheap Walmart everstart. I've only used it for testing last few weeks. I may upgrade to AGM next time if all this works out but wasn't ready to do that yet. What should I look for in a new charger/ maintainer that is better than this but not cost me a fortune.

I made a really stupid mistake 2 days ago and Hooked the battery leads up backwards. I tried to start the bike this way and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn over. It cranked and cranked but wouldn't even sputter. I slapped myself very hard in the forehead when I looked at the battery and realized my mistake. Got eveything hooked up correctly and she started right up. Could I have ruined the battery maybe, or something else?

So my initial new quick test starting with a battery at 12.5 look promising and it is charging, but I'm going to take a ride and report after I see if I can get the battery a little higher.

Jim, i still don't think I understand you statement:
        "Fill 14.5v at the battery for faster battery recovery after starting.
        Is this something I can achieve with a different charger/battery?
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-20-2018, 10:33 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Well I've got eveything buttoned up and before I post new Quick Test numbers, I think I may need a new/different battery charger/maintainer. I have been using this Walmart cheapo for years.[ATTACH=CONFIG]55608[/ATTACH] I Had the new battery charging for 2 days. It seems to have quit at 12.5v. Battery is new and also a cheap Walmart everstart. I've only used it for testing last few weeks. I may upgrade to AGM next time if all this works out but wasn't ready to do that yet. What should I look for in a new charger/ maintainer that is better than this but not cost me a fortune.

I made a really stupid mistake 2 days ago and Hooked the battery leads up backwards. I tried to start the bike this way and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn over. It cranked and cranked but wouldn't even sputter. I slapped myself very hard in the forehead when I looked at the battery and realized my mistake. Got eveything hooked up correctly and she started right up. Could I have ruined the battery maybe, or something else?

So my initial new quick test starting with a battery at 12.5 look promising and it is charging, but I'm going to take a ride and report after I see if I can get the battery a little higher.

Jim, i still don't think I understand you statement:
          "Full 14.5v at the battery for faster battery recovery after starting.
          Is this something I can achieve with a different charger/battery?
          I corrected that word. The higher the voltage the more current flows and the faster the recharge of the battery. However, the maximum recommended voltage for lead acid batteries is about 14.5V.

Comment

So, after a 1/2 hour ride and removing seat, airbox, etc. to get to the battery. Battery tested at 12.81 when I returned. I let it rest for 45 min. Battery settled out at 12.73v.

Here are my Quick Test Results:

1) Key Off - 12.73 VDC
            2) Key On - 12.30 VDC
            3) idle 1500 RPM - 12.73 VDC
            4) at 2500 RPM - 13.51 VDC
            5) at 5000 RPM - 13.95 VDC
            6) Key off - 13.00 VDC

Review of work done:
            •Replaced Stator w/ ES Stator, new stator cover gasket (no leaks, YAY), etc. wired all 3 leads to....
            •New (used) SH775 Series R/R.
            •Eliminated "headlamp loop"
            •SPG-All ground wires in the vicinity mounted to Starter Solenoid mounting bolt. I ground wire from there to (-) batterty terminal.
            •All connections that I could get to cleaned with vinegar/salt, water/baking soda, then Deoxit. And Dielectric grease applied wherever I thought it might help keep moisture out of connections.

How did I do?

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-13-2021, 07:55 AM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

You are charging much better but about 0.5v low. Do the stator phase a test to measure the voltages drops ; see if it on high side or low side.

Voltage drops also measured at 5K RPM

Step #2 - Measure Positive Lead Voltage Drop
              Step #3 - Measure Negative Lead Voltage Drop
              Last edited by posplayr; 07-13-2018, 01:31 AM.

Comment

So after a couple of days of riding the bike to work, then putting new spade connectors on the RR + (which I initially, admittedly, had forgotten and taped up after cleaning them), I have some new quick test #s:

1) Key Off - 12.85 VDC
                2) Key On - 12.3 VDC
                3) idle 1500 RPM - 12.78 VDC
                4) at 2500 RPM - 14.05 VDC
                5) at 5000 RPM - 14.64 VDC
                6) Key off - 13.26 VDC

then went right to the measuring voltage drops:

Step #2 - Pos. lead volt. drop = .19 (good, right??)
                Step #3 - Neg. lead volt. drop = .004 (I think this means my SPG is strong??)

SH775 -SPG.jpg

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  So after a couple of days of riding the bike to work, then putting new spade connectors on the RR + (which I initially, admittedly, had forgotten and taped up after cleaning them), I have some new quick test #s:

1) Key Off - 12.85 VDC
                  2) Key On - 12.3 VDC
                  3) idle 1500 RPM - 12.78 VDC
                  4) at 2500 RPM - 14.05 VDC
                  5) at 5000 RPM - 14.64 VDC
                  6) Key off - 13.26 VDC

then went right to the measuring voltage drops:

Step #2 - Pos. lead volt. drop = .19 (good, right??)
                  Step #3 - Neg. lead volt. drop = .004 (I think this means my SPG is strong??)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55620[/ATTACH]

Much better. That 0.19v will probably be hard to get rid of, but the 14.65V is more than enough.

And yes the SPG is working very well.

You should be able to confidently ride around not worrying about your charging system. You can look at it periodically but be confident in its operation.

Comment

Jim,
                    I can't thank you enough for walking me through this. Also thanks to Steve, tom, Redman, fastbysuzuki, Ed for your valuable input. You guys are the reason this site is the absolute best.

Time to ride!
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

The gentleman mentioned are the best, period!

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Rich, and everyone else who contributed here, thanks a million!!! One of the most informative threads I've seen!!! I'd like to dig further into Jim's diagnosis.....when doing the leg to ground VAC test on the stator, it was said that Rich's numbers in the 40s were way too high.....what, in that case, would be an acceptable number? Jim stated that the number should be very low, mine was reading 14ish on 1 leg, 18ish on the other 2 legs.

Comment

Adding so I can easily find this when anyone asks.

R/R connectors were eventually replaced with the excellent Triumph part #:

Triumph R/R Connector:

T2500676

http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...SABEgL1ovD_BwE

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                          X