RAM Tough-Claw X-grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM Tough-Claw X-grip

More of a question than a review. This is my first RAM product, so I'm not sure what to expect here. It grips my phone fine, it grips the handlebar fine. But it still wobbles. The attachment of the ball to the claw is not rigid, and allows the X-Grip and phone to move 3-4 mm. There doesn't seem to be a way to tighten it. Is this normal or should I go to the trouble to return it? Isn't the RAM system known for being rigid and secure?
    Last edited by Dogma; 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Because of the rubberiness of the ball, there will be a bit of movement.

"3-4mm of movement" ... how far away from the pivot?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

nononono... The movement is not in the ball joint. That's nice and stiff. The connection between the ball's base and the claw is where it's loose, and should behave like a monolithic unit.
      Dogma
      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I guess I would have to see it. My RAM mounts all have a bit of movement, but it's due to the elasticity of the rubber on the ball.

I have plenty of your favorite beverage in the "beer fridge", stop on by this weekend.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Mine will rotate a bit. The more the jaws open, the more it will rotate. I kind of "preload" it in one direction so if it does move it moves only in one direction. If that makes any sense...

Steve, watch what you're saying. I've been know to ride 400 miles for beer and good company! ��
          Last edited by storm 64; 06-28-2018, 01:17 PM.
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Norm you know he means root beer fridge, right?
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Mine will rotate a bit. The more the jaws open, the more it will rotate. I kind of "preload" it in one direction so if it does move it moves only in one direction. If that makes any sense...

Steve, watch what you're saying. I've been know to ride 400 miles for beer and good company! ��
              Come on back, Norm!

My favorite beer happens to be A&W.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Haha! I gess I fell for that. I took the Hook, Line, and Sinker ! ☺
                Here is my Beer Fridge.👍
                Attached Files
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I had the opportunity, so I took it back to Cycle Gear to return it. They looked at it and basically said, "that ain't right." I think I'm just the lucky one who had a quality issue with a normally solid product. Their shelves are strangely bare of RAM products right now, so they couldn't exchange it. I'll swing by Iron Pony on the way to the picnic and see what they have. I want to do some hands-on tank bag shopping too. Mine's just about had it.
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

You went to Cycle Gear and didn't bother to swing by here for a beverage?

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

I tried the X-grip and after barely rescuing my phone twice (and being driven absolutely batty by the way the dumb thing rotates) I ended up with this:

Mine doesn't have those doofy rubber fingers; they're not needed.

Actually, I now have three of these, one for each bike. Rock-solid, firm grip on and off road, easy fast in and out with one hand, and absolutely no chance of your phone squirting out like the X-Grip.

It doesn't look as cool as the X-Grip, I guess.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You went to Cycle Gear and didn't bother to swing by here for a beverage?

Yep. Too many errands to run.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I tried the X-grip and after barely rescuing my phone twice (and being driven absolutely batty by the way the dumb thing rotates) I ended up with this:

Mine doesn't have those doofy rubber fingers; they're not needed.

Actually, I now have three of these, one for each bike. Rock-solid, firm grip on and off road, easy fast in and out with one hand, and absolutely no chance of your phone squirting out like the X-Grip.

It doesn't look as cool as the X-Grip, I guess.
                        Thanks for the tip. I'll look that up and see what combination of bits I need to mount the thing. Maybe check to see if my phone fits too.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Well, I ran up to Iron Pony today where they have a counter devoted to RAM equipment. They say they've had about half a dozen of the X-Grip Claws returned with quality issues. I ended up taking Brian's suggestion for the "Quick-Grip" phone holder. with the "Torque" mount and the short socket, I was able to find a contortion of the hardware that keeps the phone close to the bars without using up the space my Bark Busters will need when the weather turns.

I also found a suitable replacement for my worn-out tank bag. Nelson-Rigg makes some nice stuff.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                          X