No announcement yet.

Is there a better or best GS850 year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for mentioning that Steve. I wasn't aware they used a larger tank in 82.

Surely a lot of folks like the L just fine. Some members like Cyrano, Kerrfunk, Gustovh, Andy Vanice are a few that come to mind, all seem to enjoy that model. Personally I had pain in my wrists from the angle of the handle bars. Like you said, they can be swapped. The 1100 L is actually lighter than the 850 G too. I never figured that out. The seat height is lower as well.

Still, I couldn't wait to get rid of the 82 1100 L I had and find the G I currently ride now.

Metalman, if you go back in to edit your post and right click on your picture and copy it, you can paste it into your post a little larger. It helps to have a larger file though.

Most folks use an image hosting site like Flikr or Imgur or something. Then you can get big bics posted, and more of them.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I know that many here will disagree with me (I'm already ducking and covering in anticipation of Steve's missiles ) but I'd avoid the 850s. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, and ridden many more, and the GS850 is one of my least favorite. Had one for 3-4 years back in the 90's. Heavy, not fast, didn't handle well, just overall awkward feeling, especially at low speeds. If you like the style of the older GS's (and I certainly do), then virtually any other size/model would be a better choice. Just one man's opinion, and all that.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

If you are going to get a 80s Honda or Kawi or Yammi or Suzuki: THis web site is a good reason to get a Suzuki over the others.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          I know that many here will disagree with me (I'm already ducking and covering in anticipation of Steve's missiles ) but I'd avoid the 850s. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, and ridden many more, and the GS850 is one of my least favorite. Had one for 3-4 years back in the 90's. Heavy, not fast, didn't handle well, just overall awkward feeling, especially at low speeds. If you like the style of the older GS's (and I certainly do), then virtually any other size/model would be a better choice. Just one man's opinion, and all that.
          You make some valid points here but as far as handling goes, it depends a lot on the rider. I know this all too well having followed close by to Mr. bwringer on his 850G.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
            I know that many here will disagree with me (I'm already ducking and covering in anticipation of Steve's missiles ) but I'd avoid the 850s.
            Different strokes, Rich.

We just happen to enjoy the 850s around here. At one time, there were four in the stable. Had a fifth one on the line, let one of the others go before reeling it in, then let another one go, too. We have settled on two keepers.

I admit they are far from the "best" bike available. There are others that are more powerful, more comfortable, better-handling, more fuel efficient, lighter, just about any other adjective you wish to use, but the 850s are just a real decent performer in ALL those areas, not just one.

It's also rather amazing to go to a larger bike gathering and hear "I used to have one of those" or "my dad had one of those". Seems that a rather large number of motorcycle enthusiasts have fond memories of them.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The early 850's had that wonderful saddle. The '82+ saddle is also pretty good but not as nice as the early version. Just splitting hairs...
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Different strokes, Rich.

We just happen to enjoy the 850s around here. At one time, there were four in the stable. Had a fifth one on the line, let one of the others go before reeling it in, then let another one go, too. We have settled on two keepers.

I admit they are far from the "best" bike available. There are others that are more powerful, more comfortable, better-handling, more fuel efficient, lighter, just about any other adjective you wish to use, but the 850s are just a real decent performer in ALL those areas, not just one.

It's also rather amazing to go to a larger bike gathering and hear "I used to have one of those" or "my dad had one of those". Seems that a rather large number of motorcycle enthusiasts have fond memories of them.

No arguments here. Knowing how the other responses to the thread would go, I just figured I'd give him a little different perspective.
                Seriously, I've bought bikes that I thought I'd love, and had wanted for a long time, only to find out that they just didn't suit me at all.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I would say that a GS850 with properly set up suspension and reasonable handlebars handles far, far better than it has any right to.

But I'll also freely admit its limitations -- it weighs more than it should is the biggest. IIRC, the GS1000G and GS1100G are actually a little lighter. Well, "slightly less heavy" would probably be more accurate. And like all '70s-'80s bikes, the frame is a lot more flexible when pushed hard than modern bikes. But Suzuki pretty much nailed the geometry on these.

Ergonomics are identical between theGS850G and a GS1000G or GS1100G of the same year -- the frames have the same part number, and the larger displacement engines actually weigh a bit less. Personally, I think the GS850's powerband is a little more entertaining -- there's a neat rush at 6,000 rpm to redline that's pretty enjoyable. You have to keep the engine spinning to make rapid progress, and the real secret to cornering speed is the engine's buttery smoothness when picking up the power down low in a corner.

One thing not a lot of people know: the GL models handle pretty much identically. Again, you have to change the handlebars to something reasonable and do the same suspension upgrades, but other than the fact you're sitting down in the bike a tiny bit lower (which can be good or bad for ergonomics, depending on your inseam situation) they handle exactly the same. I've ridden Gs and GLs hard back to back several times, and Suzuki did a great job with these -- yeah, the head angle is different on the GL, but the leading axle means you pretty much end up in exactly the same place.

I've also ridden my 1983 GS850G back to back with a well set up 1983 GS1100E. The 1100E is a Mack truck -- long, heavy, and designed to go in a straight line. You can make an 1100E handle, but it's always going to be a lot longer and and less nimble. The 1100E is a great drag racer, but there's little if any roadracing DNA in the frame. The 850 derives directly from the GS750.

When George and I traded back, he said "Dammit, this thing handles so much lighter and better than my bike... you've ruined it for me. My 1100E feels like a real pig now."
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I can chime in with some GS850 LOVE - I have the dreaded L model from 1983

I have invested way more money than it's worth over the years making it MINE and great-
                    However I can choose between a 2002 GL1800 Goldwing and my 1983 GS850GL every day to commute to work -
                    The 850 is in the parking lot right now

It is plenty quick (at higher RPMs) and pulls hard at low speeds in higher gears - a little like a tractor
                    It delivers 39-44 MPG commuting 20 miles each way every day -
                    Starts with a mean look at the starter button - and idles easily at 1100 -

YES - I have sorted out the electrics- New R&R, Stator, plugs, coils, wires, caps - and other weird connecting points.
                    YES- I have purchased a NEW SEAT (Custom made by Diamond Seats for ME)
                    YES- it has a smaller fuel tank - I don't think I have the magic 4.5 gallons - I add fuel at 135 miles and put in 3 gallons usually - But that is a good ride and time to stretch anyway
                    YES- I have added Sonic Springs to the forks and HAGON shocks in the rear -
                    YES - I also added SHAD removable saddle bags (SH23s) and a SHAD top case (SH37) for more carrying capacity

Mine was a neglected lump I rescued from one of those Previous owners who do so amny bad things to bikes -
                    but I got it cheap and have some skills so it was not a daunting task - But this forum is sent straight from heaven for us so we have RESOURCES to ask questions and get answers -

If you have a problem - someone online here has the answer - PERIOD -

By the one you like the best - Get the 850 of your dreams - they are as reliable as a hammer once sorted out - and enjoy
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I have the 81. It's taken out 2 deer, cobbled back together both times. Has no upgrades at all, yet. I did wire the stator straight to the R/R, picked up a volt on the meter. Almost a rat bike of sorts, as I've paid no attention to cosmetics. I killed off the front forks air assist crap, and run tubeless tires. I take it regularly anywhere, anytime. It's been to Kansas 3 years in a row, 1100 mile trips, and to Indiana and Wisconsin. I trust it.

Comment

Being short-legged, or vertically challenged, the L model will give you better reach to the ground, and just might be better for you ergonomically. I personally prefer a G, but I like the looks of either. Handlebars are a non-issue since they can be changed, as has been said. Choosing between the G's, I would prefer the '81 because I like the seat better than the '82. I've ridden some distance on both and the flatter '81 seat is better for distance. Think rolling sofa. By the way, the price for the L is way too high.
                        Last edited by ddaniels; 07-03-2018, 01:50 PM.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          ... -- yeah, the head angle is different on the GL, but the leading axle means you pretty much end up in exactly the same place.
                          Are you sure about that?

I have not actually put an angle meter on the head, but I have been under the impression that they are the same. However, the triples have a much straighter angle as they pass through the steering axis, which is what pulls the fork tubes back. The leading axle just keeps the wheel where it started.

Now that the fork tubes are back an inch or so, they would hit the tank at full lock, so they shortened the tank by removing some of the front. Rounding it off and tapering the rear gave them the "teardrop" look that completed the "chopper-esque" look that was popular at the time.

With the same head angle and the wheel in the same place, the wheelbase and trail were pretty much the same, so yes, it would handle about the same, assuming you fit on it well enough to reach the controls, or moved the controls to where you could reach.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

1980 is the best because I had one! So there,
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

No the '79 is the best, I trying to sell one. Just took it for an 80 mile ride Sunday morning and like what has already been said, keep the rpms up and it's a fun bike to ride. The kick start is butter and nice to have as a back up.
                              GSRick
                              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                Are you sure about that?

I have not actually put an angle meter on the head, but I have been under the impression that they are the same. However, the triples have a much straighter angle as they pass through the steering axis, which is what pulls the fork tubes back. The leading axle just keeps the wheel where it started.

Now that the fork tubes are back an inch or so, they would hit the tank at full lock, so they shortened the tank by removing some of the front. Rounding it off and tapering the rear gave them the "teardrop" look that completed the "chopper-esque" look that was popular at the time.

With the same head angle and the wheel in the same place, the wheelbase and trail were pretty much the same, so yes, it would handle about the same, assuming you fit on it well enough to reach the controls, or moved the controls to where you could reach.

Nope, not sure at all! I have no idea whether the difference is actually the head angle or the triples. Or both...? I seem to recall the frames are different in the headstock area, but I don't know whether that affects the angle. I guess if you get really bored this winter you could go out to the garage and take some measurements.

In any case, the main point is that, contrary to various dark hints and scurrilous rumors, Suzuki got the geometry right so the GLs handle just as well as the Gs. Ergonomics are certainly better for shorter humanoids (and worse for those of more Steve-ish height) on the GL models.

On both models, the stock handlebars are dreadful for most people, but the GL handlebars are much worse; if you find an example with stock handlebars, it will inevitably have very low mileage because it's physically painful to ride. The slightly smaller tank is the only other real disadvantage of the GL models. The GL exhaust has a bit more growl, which most will find pleasant.

And in at least some years of the GS850 (no, I'm not trawling through fiches for exact details) the transmission gearing in fifth gear is one tooth lower on GL models, so they have a bit more giddy-up in top gear, at the expense of slightly higher revs at speed.
                                Last edited by bwringer; 07-04-2018, 10:38 AM.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X