Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 SUZUKI CAVALCADE info, thoughts, concerns, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 SUZUKI CAVALCADE info, thoughts, concerns, etc...

hi all. i'm considering a 1986 cavalcade and would like any info on the bike that you would like to share. asking price is $3000 canadian, ( i'm in bc ). what do i need to look for when checking it out before buying? any known issues? anyone have one in the stable?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Randy.

While I have never experienced one personally, the few people that I have talked to about them have really liked theirs.

Suzuki built it to compete with Honda's Goldwing. It met its goal and even surpassed it in a few areas, but was never given the marketing push, so sales were never very high.

I don't know of any specific weak spots, but check for the obvious stuff like tires, brakes, etc. Yes, carbs need to be checked, especially if it has sat for a while.

The good news is that the valves have hydraulic lifters, so valve adjustment should not be an issue.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You might want to search the site for "Cavalcade", we've had this discussion a few times.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I have two. One I ride the other I bought for parts. I love it, it has a lot of torque and will really move. Many adjustable parts to make it fit like a glove. I cut my windscreen down, but even before doing that I didn't feel like my head would get chopped of like I do on the GL. If you have a significant other that will be riding along they will be more than happy with the air bladder lazy boy of a seat. My bike is currently sitting because I had another coolant leak. I guess I let it sit too long and now the fuel tubes between the carbs are leaking. I haven't seen a remedy for this yet, but I haven't been looking very hard either. Too many other bikes keeping me busy. Two things I don't like, which are common among touring bikes. You have to take half of it apart to work on anything and they are all very heavy. Don't let that thing tilt too far or you'll get squished. I've also found that my plastics have started cracking and falling apart. That one of the reasons I bought the second bike. Good plastics, options I didn't have and I can pull anything I may need instead of searching eBay.
        My big baby '86 Cade.

With the cut down shield.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Rick, have you had to pull the carbs yet? I've always heard that that was an absolute bear on those bikes.

I know a couple of guys who were mechanics at a local Suzuki shop back in the 80's. Any mention of either the Maduras or (especially) the Cavalcade would unleash a torrent of profanity. They didn't like working on those bikes at all.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I have had the great (dis)pleasure of removing the carbs on a few V-4 engines.
            I think there were a few torrents working their way to the surface.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              Rick, have you had to pull the carbs yet? I've always heard that that was an absolute bear on those bikes.

I know a couple of guys who were mechanics at a local Suzuki shop back in the 80's. Any mention of either the Maduras or (especially) the Cavalcade would unleash a torrent of profanity. They didn't like working on those bikes at all.
              I took a peak when I saw the fuel leaking. It looks like a nightmare and that's another reason it's been sitting. I'm not looking forward to pulling them out. The fuel nipples that connect the carbs to the fuel supply are not available through the parts houses, so I'm hoping they use o rings like our bikes do and have just dried up or cracked. If the nipples are bad, I may need to take the ones from my parts bike. I bought some custom made aluminum tubes for my 750 Interceptor. Those were all broken up and unavailable also, I may have to see if there is someone making them for the Cade.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I wonder if something like that could be 3D printed? The ones I bought for my VF750 are CNC machined.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

It can be 3d printed but, the trick is printing with a fuel resistant material...

Comment

There was also an issue with the transmission and the repair is referred to as the " Cade Plug " I believe.
                    1981 GS 1000GLX.
                    1981 GS 1000G.
                    1981 GS 650GLX.
                    1975 TS 185.
                    1972 100. Kawasaki.
                    1968 100. Suzuki.
                    1970 Z 50. Honda.
                    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I thought the carbs on a couple of Viragos I worked on were a bit of a boil to mess with. Yesterday I pulled the carbs off a 750 Shadow twin. Bring me back the Viragos. I'm horrified at the thought of trying to get them back on. Stupid engineering by any measure.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                        I thought the carbs on a couple of Viragos I worked on were a bit of a boil to mess with. Yesterday I pulled the carbs off a 750 Shadow twin. Bring me back the Viragos. I'm horrified at the thought of trying to get them back on. Stupid engineering by any measure.
                        Those Virago carbs are a PITA. Getting at the inside nuts and getting the carbs in and out are awful. I'm not sure if I had problems with Shadow carbs. IIRC, they come out from above between the frame rails, but fit into intake boots with clamps and not separate studs like the Viragos.
                        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

2003 Shadow. Single square tube backbone above the carbs, and 0 room to do anything. I could do 3 sets of Virago carbs before another set of these. I also hated carb work on the GS550 we had.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                            2003 Shadow. Single square tube backbone above the carbs, and 0 room to do anything. I could do 3 sets of Virago carbs before another set of these. I also hated carb work on the GS550 we had.
                            We had a 550T and you had to move the fender back then the air box just to hope you had enough room to pull them out. Hmmmm, I wonder what cruiser I had to pull the carbs out the top between the rails? Maybe the Marauder? Crap now that's going to drive me nuts thinking about it.
                            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                              I took a peak when I saw the fuel leaking. It looks like a nightmare and that's another reason it's been sitting. I'm not looking forward to pulling them out. The fuel nipples that connect the carbs to the fuel supply are not available through the parts houses, so I'm hoping they use o rings like our bikes do and have just dried up or cracked. If the nipples are bad, I may need to take the ones from my parts bike. I bought some custom made aluminum tubes for my 750 Interceptor. Those were all broken up and unavailable also, I may have to see if there is someone making them for the Cade.
                              There is an owner's group that functions by email, rather than an actual forum. I still get emails because I recently signed back in to get some info about cade bags which I put on my LC 1500. You might be able to google it up or I could just forward an email to you and you could jump in. Tracy Presnell is the main guru and he's in Kansas, I think or Nebraska. He is very generous with his advice.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X