Anyone in Gainesville, FL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in Gainesville, FL?

Having trouble with my new wiring harness. Wires not colored according to diagram and would like some help or another Suzuki GS as a reference! If you're in the Gainesville, FL area I would appreciate any help over a 24 pack and some bucks your way.

Cheers mates

Originally posted by SuzyGS550 View Post
    Having trouble with my new wiring harness. Wires not colored according to diagram and would like some help or another Suzuki GS as a reference! If you're in the Gainesville, FL area I would appreciate any help over a 24 pack and some bucks your way.

Cheers mates
    What wiring harness did you get?

1948man is near you somewhere.
    Last edited by gsrick; 07-16-2018, 11:49 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Purchased one off presumably an older model that stated to work with my bike. The new harness matched my previous harness identically (turns out it was the stator that needed replacing. Whats odd is that I cannot find a wiring diagram that matches the coloration of both harnesses (not a pro so colors are everything). I've looked through various manuals and cannot seem to find a home for main wires. Do you know of a website/store that sells compatible harnesses for a 79' 550L? Thanks for the reply

Comment

Purchased one off presumably an older model that stated to work with my bike. The new harness matched my previous harness identically (turns out it was the stator that needed replacing. Whats odd is that I cannot find a wiring diagram that matches the coloration of both harnesses (not a pro so colors are everything). I've looked through various manuals and cannot seem to find a home for main wires. Do you know of a website/store that sells compatible harnesses for a 79' 550L? Thanks for the reply
        If you have an identical harness then why do you need a manual? Most if not all multi pin connectors will only hook up where they are suppose to go, it's hard to mix them up. Click on the link and download the manual if you don't already have it. The only thing you need is the routing diagrams pages 683 and 684. http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac/..._77-82_all.pdf
        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

I'm down in Tampa and specialize in engines and wiring at the shop I work at. If you don't get it figured out soon give me a shout. Haven't been able to ride lately due to a hand injury but should be back at it in a week or 2.
          The current garage:
          1978 GS750
          1975 GT750M
          1984 CB700SC
          1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
          1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

I'm near Gainesville. I suck when it comes to wiring and my only experience is with GS 1100 shafties. I could come by some time and look at things but I think you're probably more competent than me. Did you see the diagram for the "L" at the end of the service manual Rick linked?
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
              I'm near Gainesville. I suck when it comes to wiring and my only experience is with GS 1100 shafties. I could come by some time and look at things but I think you're probably more competent than me. Did you see the diagram for the "L" at the end of the service manual Rick linked?
              If he has an actual harness for the bike he has, it shouldn't be too hard to put back together. As I said, the multi pin connectors only go where they are suppose to go. If there are more than one of the same size and shape, they use another color. Eazy peazy......

I could possibly ride up there one Sunday morning if it looks too daunting it would have to be early though, you know with the heat and rain we have daily. I'd work for lunch.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Yeah if you have the proper harness it should all just plug in. If you break down the wiring diagram into sections it becomes a lot easier to manage. Start from the battery/starter solenoid and work your way to the front and back of the bike from there. You really can't do any major damage by hooking them up wrong, worst case is a blown fuse.
                The current garage:
                1978 GS750
                1975 GT750M
                1984 CB700SC
                1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo
                1975 RD250 - 350 conversion

Comment

I think my main issue is this being the first time I've ever had to replace a harness. The job seems daunting at first and finding a process to the mayhem might actually be what i'm in need out. No need to drive over, etc. just seeing who all is in the area. Much appreciated though mates!

Comment

Also, what mUnit and rectifier do you all use?

Comment

Also, what mUnit and rectifier do you all use?
                      What is a mUnit? As far a R/R SH775 used on the Polaris Razor and Ranger is the hot ticket right now. Don't get a Chinese copy,(make sure the SH775 is printed on the opposite end of the connector) it would be better to get a used one than one of those fakes. There are many threads on it.
                      Good Bad
                      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Solid, thanks for the help Rick!

Comment

Working...
                        X